When something REALLY hurts your feelings

Postby bunnyrabbit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 pm

In the last 3 or so years, I’ve noticed that I react a lot more strongly to sadness and other negative feelings than I did before. For example, 3 years ago, I had a crush on a guy who was a mutual friend. I went on Facebook one day and saw that they had all met up without me. I started shaking and feeling sick. I had a REALLY angry rant in my diary. The next day, I had an upset stomach and felt fatigued.

I do remember an incident from about 10 years ago (I was 10) with feeling left out from my friends. I got the same symptoms, and for WEEKS, whenever I thought about the situation, I would get a funny stomach. But that’s the only incident I remember from that long ago.

My cat died and the next day, I threw up. It’s like my body couldn’t take the grief.

Yesterday, I saw something on social media I didn’t want to see, regarding my ex. I got the shaky feeling again, and just felt so sick. At one point, I genuinely thought I was going to throw up. Today my stomach feels swirly and upset, and I’ve hardly eaten anything, because it’s like I can’t eat. I also had a really crap sleep.

I also get an ache in my chest and back when I’m sad, this is also new. Can anyone relate, or provide some insight as to why I’m like this?
bunnyrabbit

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 pm

bunnyrabbit wrote:Yesterday, I saw something on social media
....or provide some insight as to why I’m like this?

Get off of social media.

You are like this because you evaluate your self worth based on social comparison instead of using your own accomplishments.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 977

Postby bunnyrabbit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
bunnyrabbit wrote:Yesterday, I saw something on social media
....or provide some insight as to why I’m like this?

Get off of social media.

You are like this because you evaluate your self worth based on social comparison instead of using your own accomplishments.

Yeah, I’ve removed my ex as a friend and have reduced my use of Facebook.
bunnyrabbit

Likes Received: 0

Return to Psychology