I unconsciously know things that I shouldn't

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:35 am

Hi everyone I'm Alex, I'm 24 years old and I have a question that until now nobody knew even when to start answering it.

The first instance that I remember it's when I was 8 yeas old, I was arguing with my aunt about how to raise her daughters.
I remember talking about the correct way to raise her children and what will happen to them and how they will behave in the future if they don't follow the "right teachings". Fast forward to now and everything I said turned out to be true, of course she didn't follow the instructions of a 8 years old and what I have forgone, it indeed happen.

This is just the first instance that I can remember but this is something that happened constantly trough out my life, I solved the problems of everyone who listened to me and I still do this on a daily basis.

I do not know why it happens and I do not know the psychology behind it, only when I look back at what I said I can really understand the reasoning behind it and it makes sense and, more importantly, it works!

So would anyone have any theory about how can I "know" so many things related to psychology while I was just a child and no access to such things or even now that I know a lot about psychology, I still find myself saying things that I never thought of.

I am a creative person and always ready for an interesting conversations, I crave it as if I was hungry and I never once found myself thinking "I'm tired of interesting topics" it's like a never ending hunger for knowledge that makes me honestly sad when I cannot satiate it.

I'm sure my personality and intelligence has something to do with my "knowledge" but I really don't know why this informations are there in the first place, without me ever learning it.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this and if you are like me, please let me know, this is my twitter in case you want to talk about anything really, I'm extremely interested in abstract thinking. @AlexRecipe
Alex Recipe

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Alex Recipe wrote: I do not know why it happens and I do not know the psychology behind it,

It is well researched in psychology. There are a number of cognitive biases that result in selective recall of memories.

When you were 8 years old you made thousands of predictions. All 8 year olds make thousands of predictions. And this continues into adulthood. You are not consciously aware of all the predictions.

A few years later it is inevitable that a handful of these thousands of predictions will come true, while the vast majority do not. But not coming true doesn’t trigger recall, only the select few that do come true trigger a memory that it was something you had predicted.

Some people are more sensitive to this natural process of recall and they then believe they can see the future, when what is actually happening is selective memory.

It is the Nostradamus effect. Nostradamus wrote down thousands of his predictions. The vast majority cannot be traced to anything, but every now and again something he wrote makes it appear as if he projected the future.

Try this. Write down a hundred predictions about the future you believe reasonable in 10 years. Put those predictions in a tin can. 10 years from now open up the jar. I guarantee that at least some of your predictions will be accurate, but the vast majority will be less than accurate, depending on how specific the prediction.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 995

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

This is not about facts or random events, it's about psychology, I know how people will behave and what they will do and this is where my predictions come from.
It has nothing to do with the Nostradamus effect.

Sure my memories when I was young could be selective but I remember the times when I was wrong too, and those times what I was saying was coming from my concious thinking and not from my unconscious.

To put it simple, I say stuff that only a psychologist could know, for example one of my friends was in a abusive relationship and she was pretty much brainwashed, I could predict every single action of her boyfriend which all turned out to be true at the point where she was shocked about how much I could describe her partner without even meeting him once.
Alex Recipe

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Alex Recipe wrote: To put it simple, I say stuff that only a psychologist could know...one of my friends was in a abusive relationship...I could predict every single action of her boyfriend

You believe only a psychologist can predict the behavior of an abusive boyfriend?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Which such precision, yes.
Alex Recipe

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Okay. And you don’t understand why you have this ability? What is your concern?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Trying to understand it, understand it's reasons and possibly control it, I don't feel as if this is me but as if I'm being controlled by someone or something else.

I hope that understanding it would bring me peace.
Alex Recipe

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Alex Recipe wrote: I don't feel as if this is me

What reasons might you want to avoid being you?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm

I don't understand the question.

I don't feel as if I have any control of this thing, I don't think it's my choice at all.
Alex Recipe

Postby tokeless » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
Alex Recipe wrote: To put it simple, I say stuff that only a psychologist could know...one of my friends was in a abusive relationship...I could predict every single action of her boyfriend

You believe only a psychologist can predict the behavior of an abusive boyfriend?

I'm sure there have been many parents who have predicted the behaviours of their child's boyfriend/girlfriend. That wouldn't make them psychologists would it?
I think Richard gave a good explanation which you won't accept because I think you want to be right rather than as you say you crave "Interesting discussions"... are they the one's that agree with you or you them?

I will make a prediction right now. Man will have another global war at some point in the future. No different than Nostradamus's predictions. Just requires time, which he didn't state as to when.
tokeless

Likes Received: 224

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Alex Recipe wrote:I don't feel as if I have any control of this thing, I don't think it's my choice at all.

Feeling a lack of control is most often driven by some underlying insecurity. This insecurity can be masked in any number of ways. A common way is to distract from whatever internal issue exists and instead focus or blame some external cause. This allows a person to avoid addressing whatever insecurity they are facing.

What reasons do you have for being insecure?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't feel a lack of control, I don't like being able to understand consciously, I want to be able to use it even more, and maybe find a way to give the same ability to other people as well.
Alex Recipe

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm sure there have been many parents who have predicted the behaviours of their child's boyfriend/girlfriend. That wouldn't make them psychologists would it?
I think Richard gave a good explanation which you won't accept because I think you want to be right rather than as you say you crave "Interesting discussions"... are they the one's that agree with you or you them?

I will make a prediction right now. Man will have another global war at some point in the future. No different than Nostradamus's predictions. Just requires time, which he didn't state as to when.

How many 8 years old do you know who would predict the actions and behaviour of someone else's children precisely, and tell me, you as a person who never studied psychology, would you recognize and predict a clinical case such as Narcissistic disorder of personality, and also know how to fight against it?
Alex Recipe

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Alex Recipe wrote: How many 8 years old do you know who would predict the actions and behaviour of someone else's children precisely, and tell me, you as a person who never studied psychology, would you recognize and predict a clinical case such as Narcissistic disorder of personality, and also know how to fight against it?

Your 24 year old self has knowledge of psychological concepts. Now, as a 24 year old, you recreate a memory of 8 year old you. That memory is not 8 year old you. It is only a memory that you are creating in the present moment using the knowledge possessed by your 24 year old self.

As in my original post, there are any number of cognitive biases that can significantly influence memory. Not only can memory be influenced, entirely false memories can be implanted. This is why eyewitness testimony is such unreliable evidence in court. This is why child abuse cases are so tricky, because memories are not accurate, especially memories of an adult trying to recall memories of childhood.

Regardless, it is your 24 year old self that is struggling with a feeling of loss of control. This relates to some current underlying insecurity, including your current memory of past events.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Alex Recipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:41 pm

You're ignoring the part when I said that this has happened constantly for all my life,and I constantly wondered about it, it's not something I came up with right now cause it bothered me, it's constant, what I'm saying now I've said for at least 10 years and it was never about memories but about facts.
Alex Recipe

Next