What kind of ADHD is this?

Postby humpalumpa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:17 am

I coped some years with this, never trusted that someone else could solve it for me, but as of lately I learned that talking to people can give you some great insights!

I think the problem could be nested under the psychological/mental problems. I believe that I am spiritually in a good place & physically fine except from a bad diet(& not as much exercise I would’ve liked). Socially/Family-wise I am also in a good place. So giving the following aspects, I suspect my problem is in the mental department. 
So I have been diagnosed with ADHD (at a later age because I could cope with it because of above average intelligent, said the psychologist), but I feel like it’s a bit different than the typical ADHD-patient (I could be wrong). I think I also suffer from perfectionism (either I do it perfect or I don’t do it all). Combined with my very analytical thinking and eye for details always, every task that I try to do becomes instantaneously an overwhelming mess, which often causes me to procrastinate. Coupled with the fact I cannot seem to prioritize (i.e. I don’t see the core of the task, everything is equally important + I can get lost in whatever catches my attention) & my natural broad interest make it worse. So I am all over the place with my thought’s and actions. 

I think stemming from the fact that I was always overwhelmed and had so many thoughts(I overthink & analyse everything). It seems I learned my self to write everything down. And coupled with the eye for detail, I really write EVERYTHING down, even things that are not relevant, but I still have to write it down.I think maybe I rely so much on my notes, that I stopped thinking creatively & logically. I always think somewhere in my notes I will be able to find it or reconstruct what I was doing, but because I work in such details and lack structure/organization, It’s very hard to use these notes again. I suspect here we also have something to do with anxiety/ocd as a underlying cause. I have an history of (social) anxiety attacks, that are almost completely gone now (thank God). I also save everything like websites, files etc. I always also have around couple hundred tabs open. As a kid I tried to save every google image of Dragonball z. I don’t know why I did that, maybe afraid that I was not going to have internet anymore. Everytime I try to undertake a task I reminded that somewhere I have notes (scattered) about this, but I can never retrieve them and I don’t even try (because I am afraid of all the other millions of things I will see in my mess). But being an perfectionist I don’t finish the task, because I can’t find all my notes.

Now in addition to this everybody has a workflow/skillset to manage their lives. I completely lack structure in my life and/or realized too late that I need structure elements in my life. I don’t have a taskmanagement system, I don’t really have an calender system (every diary I ever tried to keep, became an cluttered mess). It’s almost like I forgot how to study, because I am so overwhelming myself and so overthinking. I analyse every action that I do now, which sucks a lot of mental energy. 
These factors above combined have caused an unimaginable clutter in my life. To give an idea: maybe 10.000 notes, thousands of bookmarks, no really organizing folders & study files, Having pictures all over the place. 

I want a reset button & clean all the clutter, so I can let go of my past, because in this clutter a part of me is hidden. So I want to reread everything: Whatsapp chats, websites, my thoughts/notes, my ambitions, my lessons etc, clean my emails(up to thousands), organise everything etc. But my problem is how can I find the time to retreat, process everything en let go of my past. Everyday really feels like I have to take on all the weight of the past. I can never focus on the future. I cannot make steps, I am afraid to undertake any actions, because I feel like I haven’t organized en read my relating notes on the matters at hand. 

Ironically, as I am typing this I realize, it’s these same issues described above, that are overwhelming me to clean everything & to bring structure in my life and to find te focus to solve this problem. It’s the same procrastination that comes, because I am already (anticipating) anxious of the amount of mental effort it’s going to take me. I have identified some key principles: 20/80 rule, focus on the main body of the task, find a structure in life, make habits, etc. but somehow I cannot seem to get a good flow. I don’t know what the starting point is. 

What do you guys think?
humpalumpa

Likes Received: 0

Postby DrPsychFeels » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Sounds like symptoms of an anxiety disorder rather than ADHD. Overwhelmed, no structure, burdened by past, avoidance behaviors.

Anxiety often looks like ADHD, which is why it's misdiagnosed.
DrPsychFeels

Likes Received: 8

Postby humpalumpa » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have to say I am indeed still not 100% sure of my diagnosis, but that is because of my natural skepticism against the medical&pharmaceutical world.
humpalumpa

Likes Received: 0