How to master the Art of Speaking in Public?

Postby sachin322 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 am

We all have been Speaking in Public from time to time, it does not matter whether we have to speak in a team meeting or in front of an audience.
So how can one overcome his/her fear of speaking in public?
sachin322

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:17 pm

By (1) speaking regularly and (2) scaffolding

You don’t start with a 1 hour unscripted speech to a hostile audience of 5,000 people. Instead, you start with a 2 minute, scripted speech to friends. Then you build from there, making a 4 minute speech to 10 people, then a 5 minute speech to 15, and eventually you have scaffolded to a 10 minute speech to 100 people.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1012

Postby emtelligence » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 am

Prepare a small speech. Memorize it. Then go to random people on the street and ask for their feedback. Tell them it's only a minute or so.

When you force yourself to practice, you'll find out that it's not so bad. That's how I started out and just like doing anything in succession, it gets easier.
emtelligence

Postby academic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:By (1) speaking regularly and (2) scaffolding

You don’t start with a 1 hour unscripted speech to a hostile audience of 5,000 people. Instead, you start with a 2 minute, scripted speech to friends. Then you build from there, making a 4 minute speech to 10 people, then a 5 minute speech to 15, and eventually you have scaffolded to a 10 minute speech to 100 people.

I have done a Bear Pit pitch in front of hundreds. No preparation was possible and I was full of confidence because every speaker was in the same situation. I started shaking from the first minor setback, which was when I needed to ask the audience if my microphone was on!

Notice how pet animals fluff-up or beat-down their blankets. Wild animals do this too, scratching at the floor and softening it before curling up. Public speaking is a bit like that. My view is that the only way to make an uncomfortable situation comfortable, is to fluff it first.
academic

Likes Received: 1

Postby Candid » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 pm

academic, you'll notice there's a thumbs-up thingy on each post, which you can click to 'like' what Richard wrote. I liked it, too.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 310

Postby academic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

I am on the fence :)

The scaffolding approach sounds sensible, and must be a preferred approach if it works for you, but evidence suggests performers of various persuasions - despite incrementally increasing their audience size over many years (from small drama clubs, to film school, theatre, and beyond) - simply never overcome stage fright!

The Guardian wrote:"Many players use alcohol and beta-blockers to control their performance anxiety and then, after the high of a performance, musicians can struggle to come down and therefore drink to relax"

I do not drink, and my best performances seem to happen when I am too tired to care. I think something similar is happening when you see politicians, exhausted from road trips when a TV crew jumps out, are simply too worn out to imagine how they might come across to the audience - and so they come across relaxed!
academic

Likes Received: 1

Postby bogdan9310 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I think it's useful to pick someone from the crowd, and every time you have to look at it, just lock eyes with that person.
bogdan9310

Postby Roman_K » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 am

As Dale Carnegie said in his wonderful book have something good to say. When you have a great message your delivery doesn't matter. You will connect to the audience because they will sense your authenticity.
Roman_K