Hopefully off the weed after a long time

Postby stoat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 am

Hey people of the uncommon forum,

I've been smoking weed since I was 16 years old (I'm 23 now), and I've been smoking more and more over the last few years. It has gotten to a point that I smoke 3 or 4 joints each evening after coming back from work. I smoked them like cigarettes.

A couple of years ago I also started having panick attacks. At first I thought I was about to die when I was having one. But as I was having more and more panick attacks I've gotten used to them and I started to isolate myself. So instead of doing stuff with friends I was alone at home (and really high most of the times). My work didn't really suffer from it, although I try to avoid meetings as much as possible because I'm too afraid to speak in front of people.

I went to a shrink last year, and I told him about my weed addiction and the panick attacks. The help he offered me was more focused on the panick attacks than the weed. He gave me some exercises, but I never really tried it because I felt more like smoking than improving my life. So it didn't really help me in the end (and I know that it's my own fault).

But now I REALLY want to quit. I'm done with being high all the time, and I'm done with all the anxiety. I don't know if quitting weed is going to help me get rid of the anxiety, but I hope it'll help. So 1.5 week ago I decided to quit. I've since been on a holiday for a week which helped me to get through the first week without any issues. But since I'm back home I'm thinking of getting high a lot. And I've been really anxious about a lot of stuff (e.g getting groceries freaks me out 50% of the times when I'm at the cash desk). I also started to feel depressed.

I relapsed the day I got home from my holiday bytheway. I still had a little bit of weed left, so I rolled one small joint and smoked it (but it was just one time, and now I'm committed to quitting again).

So I don't know what to do. I live near a coffeeshop so I'm worried that I wont be able to hold myself together. I also wonder if the anxiety goes away, or if it stays with me for the next few years (or even my whole life).

Does anybody have some advice for me?
stoat

Likes Received: 0

Postby tokeless » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi,
My advice is to consider why you want to stop and how important is it to do that. Then ask how Confident you are that you can.. This gives you some grasp as to how realistic it is. Just because you want to doesn't make it happen especially if you still want to smoke. I would also suggest that accepting we make choices in life and we need to really accept that. When we lapse we make that choice. Nothing made you do it but we can find a million excuses as to what happened... We chose to lapse but feel bad so deny responsibility for it. Having a coffeeshop is a pressure but there are lots of people who live near it who don't use it. It will trigger cravings if you've used it before but that's the way it is. Do you choose to go back there? Absolutely. Can you choose not to? Same answer. Make a decision and then plan how to achieve it... Deal with the now. Make the right choices that support your plan. You can do it. Many have so why are you different?
Best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 219

Postby Anxious_mary_420 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi... the good news is the anxiety does not stay with you forever although it does feel like it will, you just have to keep pushing through. The depression anxiety sleeplessness and everything els that you are going to feel will go away in time but it’s a long and lonely road to travel . Tokeless has given you some good advice above too. Stay strong and stay away from the coffee shops !! You can do this if it’s what you really want xx
Anxious_mary_420

Likes Received: 41

Return to Addictions