PAWS and the AD Dilemma

Postby Foggy Noggin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi Everyone.

Quick Summary:

5 months off THC this week. 48 years old, Long term heavy smoker. Started using CBD at 3 months to help with depression and anxiety. Also struggling with lack of motivation, brain fog, poor concentration, and fatigue. Negative waves come in about a 3 weeks to 1 week ratio, making it difficult to feel any progress.

As you've probably heard, PAWS at 4-6 months can be the roughest. Mine is no exception. So, about 11 days ago I started an Anti Depressant. I've been on them before, while smoking, but was hoping to avoid going back on them, if possible, while recovering from PAWS. But, so far, I am glad I made the decision. A week and a half in, and I already feel quite a bit better. I have more energy, more enthusiasm, and more hope. But probably the brightest spot is that my mind seems to be working so much better: Recall, planning, and concentration have all improved.

I am going on a week long summer vacation with my teenage kids in a couple weeks and I did not want to risk being in a likely down wave of PAWS at the time. This will probably be one of the last family vacations we take together, as my son is starting college in August.

So, the obvious question: Is my brain still able to heal and recover from the THC withdrawal while taking an AD? Or am I simply kicking the can down the road and deferring the rest (or all) of the healing I already started until a later time when I am not on any mood/mind altering substance? I know there are a handful of folks on this site that are taking different medications to help with PAWS, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience totally recovering from PAWS and used AD's to help along the way?

My plan is to be on the AD's for 9-12 months, which will be 14-17 months after my THC quit. I know some folks believe going stone cold sober is the only way to get through PAWS, and they might be right. Everyone has to choose the path they think is right for them. I don't drink or smoke and I've gotten off the AD's in the past with little or no withdrawal symptoms, although, like I said, I was smoking weed at the time.

I am also working on improving myself and my thought processes and approach to life. This is where the real work and potential for improvement is, in my opinion.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'll keep the group updated on my progress. Thanks for reading.
Foggy Noggin

Likes Received: 23

Postby dariaengse » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 am

Wondering about the same thing. I had the same issues for almost a year after I quit. Then I gave in and started using antidepressants 6-7 weeks ago. I feel perfect now, but can´t help to think I´m just delaying the PAWS period
dariaengse

Likes Received: 6

Postby ClintonW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 am

I can't comment on Anti-Depressants as I've not had any need to take them.

PAWS for the first year of me quitting was tough but me realising and telling myself it was PAWS and nothing else was what helped me through it. Your brain is sorting itself out. Years of usage isn't going to resolve itself overnight.

Keep up the good work. It does get better.
ClintonW

Likes Received: 74

Postby tokeless » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way but I feel your over analysing things. You're putting things in to time frames as though life is that linear. I would suggest you just quit and deal with the now because that's what you're facing and the future is unpredictable. I believe the battles are all in the mind because that's what controls our behaviour. Choose to stay not smoking and manage the symptoms that come with it. You can change and that involves choices. I've said many times that if you're put somewhere we're there was no weed it would be easier to do without it... Having to say no when it's easy to score creates the conflict... The mind then creates the desire and the excuses why we lapse and choose to smoke... Best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 224