Three weeks smoke free but feeling worse

Postby K'Dad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm

So, it's a little over three weeks since I've stopped smoking both weed and cigarettes. A few days after I quit smoking, I struggled sleeping until a week passed, then I felt better as I could sleep fairly well (6-7 hours a night) and I would feel awesome in the morning, I'd be in a happy mood, ate well and just had better days.

Here's the thing though, since last week Thursday ( exactly three weeks smoke free) I've been feeling a bit over the edge. Suddenly my 7 hour sleep was gone :?. And when I woke up my mood had dropped down to Zero. I began having very awful dreams from that very Thursday night and it's been a shower or nightmares since then. Just last night I slept around 11Pm and woke up a little after 2Am having a terrible dream. I dreamt I was in my backyard with two people whom I could not recognize; one of them gave me an Axe and a sword and challenged me to have a fight with him. Guess what happened?? I slit his throat with the sword and cut him into pieces using the axe.. Few seconds later he was battling to breathe and I could see him losing his life right in front of me and it was all my fault.

When I woke up, I was really worried and confused and just not feeling good at all. Couldn't sleep after that until around 6am, even then I caught sleep for about 40 minutes and got woken up by another nightmare. I really don't know what's up now , I honestly thought I was healing well but it feels like I've been rebooted back to square one when I had just quit. If there's anyone who has experienced this, please shed some light and advice on what you did to overcome all this because it's very worrying.. I feel like sh**, not happy at all and I get angry and irritated way too easily now, I don't like it one bit. Now I'm actually tempted to go back to smoking again so I can sleep like a baby and skip these horrible dreams.. I know that might not be the smartest of moves but I can get over the picture of a night joint.

Another thing, I've developed this HUGE appetite, like; I always want to eat and eat and eat and I'm never full! Is this normal for a person who has just quit smoking weed and cigarettes? I mean, I used to eat a lot when I was a stoner, especially after smoking but now I no longer smoke but I still want to eat till forever.

Some advice and info on how to deal with this would be nice please..

K's Dad @South_Africa
K'Dad

Likes Received: 1

Postby potsleep » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 pm

My Advice is to get ready for the battle of your life.

I’m at 8 months clean after quitting weed and nicotine cold turkey. Both 25 year habits on and off.

For me things got really bad after 30 days and stayed that way until 6 months. I’m only now starting living some kind of regular life but still dealing with waves of paws here and there. I’m hoping by 12 months I can finally move on with my life.
potsleep

Likes Received: 5

Postby K'Dad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 am

Wow, I never thought things would be this bad. I actually thought the more I stay clean, the better. Nonetheless, I think I'll just have to face the music. I know I cannot go back to smoking and now I'm afraid my performance will be affected as I have the biggest interview of my life in a few weeks to come... I need to sleep and my mind needs the necessary oil to do better!

I'm happy for you. Six months is a lot of time, I hope I will be able to hold keep it together until I reach six months as well. Thank you for sharing your story and keep up the good work.
K'Dad

Postby dirtySanchez » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 am

Give your everything at the interview. But keep in mind that things will get a lot worse (not trying to be pessimistic, but being realistic) from my experience (atm at 6 months).

I left my job and also missed a lot of opportunities because I couldn't function (the worst started at 3 months). Sometimes I really felt like I was retarded and could not solve simple math problems. sh** was really bad.

But I have faith that in the end it will be all worth it.
dirtySanchez

Likes Received: 12

Postby K'Dad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am

Sometimes I really felt like I was retarded and could not solve simple math problems. sh** was really bad.

LOL, reminds me of an assessment I wrote for a bank job in May.. Lol, I was super slow, and I got disqualified because I depleted the allocated time and I hadn't finished all the questions. This weed thing really does mess up with one's brain and overall reasoning capacity.

Today I actually feel quite a lot better than the past few days, so I'm guessing these ups and downs will be there. Will try my best to not give up until I'm satisfied with myself. Thinking of starting exercising and drink green tea, I heard it calms and relaxes one.
K'Dad

Postby SleeplessInEngland » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:56 am

Hi.

I quit weed 9 months ago after smoking it for 32 years. I also gave up tobacco around the same time.

I went through something similar to what you're going through that made me question whether quitting was worth it. I persisted with it.

After about 4 months, things got back to what I assume is normal again. I don't really know what normal is for me as I started smoking weed age 16.

However...My libido is like that of a 16 year old! I always used to say I didn't have much of a sex drive and suddenly I do for the first time in my life. Whether this is a withdrawal symptom itself, only time will tell, but it's worth it to me to stay weed free.

Do the exercise and green tea and whatever else you feel might help. If nothing else, it's something positive to focus on instead of smoking weed. I used Clipper Sleep Tea and it really helped. I also listened to isochronic tones on you tube...ones for sleep or for addiction. I think they are profoundly relaxing.

How are you doing today? Keep up the good work!
SleeplessInEngland

Likes Received: 7

Postby Cali-Detroit » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 am

Hi K, and welcome.

It's true, all of it. It's going to be be brutal.
I don't know your history, but depends on the length for your habit, how often, how strong your stuff, your age, your life situation, etc

I smoked daily for 20 years, more than once a day, strong stuff, am now 40 years old with two small children, trying to survive in California. So yeah, pretty Fkd. Three and half months clean, and it's definitely gotten better, but there's miles ahead, I can tell.

I honestly never had a full day as an adult not stoned and hungover in some way. It's baffling to think about, but I'm just now trying to figure out who I really am, beyond the drugs. Maybe terrifying is a better word.

Anyway, where your at now is especially hard. Your mind and body is trying to bully you into submission and to get what it wants and needs (weed) and will do whatever it takes to make sure you suffer should you be so bold as to try and resist.

Really just embrace the misery, the discomfort, the pain and anguish. I ran from these things all my life, but only in this journey did I learn to let go and confront them. Think of daily life for most of the world, the ones we don't see or think about, the invisible billions. There's far worse things to endure in this life.

I know that's easier said than done, but it's just what worked for me. Seeing the world without the weed googles is quite a shock, and I would guess that it's a reality we'll have to get used to should we decide to stay sober.

It's no accident that most people do some sort of mind altering substance throughout their lives, and that those who don't are seen as oddities. I really don't know if it's sustainable but folks here have been really great and they assure me and many others that it's possible and can actually be pretty great. I think year one is just a steep price those of us long term heavy users have to pay in order to repair our brains.

Good luck...if you can hang in there, it does get a little better. At over 100 days, I'm definitely improving. It's just not as fast as I'd hoped. But, better is better. I'll take it
Cali-Detroit

Likes Received: 85

Return to Addictions