Should we be afraid of death?

Postby Hamming » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 am

I sometimes discuss with my friends about planes, how I am afraid to fly because if if they crash, its very unlikely that you will be alive.

My friend had said - so what, you will die so what.

Its weird. Because arent people programmed biologically to try to survive? Plus those who do not fear of death, they kill themselves. Otherwise they would not commit suicide. So I think it is good to be afraid of death. You save yourself more.
Plus since I am not sure if God exists, I am afraid to make suicide because I might burn in hell forever. So that it is good, because I have had lot of difficult times.

I have another friend who thinks she could die because life is boring for her. But she does not kill herself, just would not mind if some plane crashes and she dies.

I mean if thinking that death is "so what", nothing special, then you might just make suicide, and think so what before that :D and probably some people do this.
Hamming
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 2

Postby tokeless » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 am

So, you're not sure if God exists but wouldn't kill yourself in case you burn in hell? So you believe hell exists? How? As for death.. Yes we probably are wired to avoid it but to avoid situations because of that fear just denies you life. We only get one go so enjoy and embrace the moments it offers.. Death is unavoidable at some point. As Jim Morrison said.. "No one gets out alive"
tokeless

Likes Received: 224

Postby Candid » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

I'm more afraid of living too long than I am of death. Beyond our peak years, which our friend Hamming is 'enjoying' right now in his own morbid fashion, Life's a steady (faster or slower) decline in mental and physical capacity. Death isn't called a "happy release" for no reason.

Hamming wrote:I sometimes discuss with my friends about planes, how I am afraid to fly because if if they crash, its very unlikely that you will be alive.

My friend had said - so what, you will die so what.

Your friend is right, Hamming, and so was Jim Morrison. No one gets out of here alive. Thing is, most of us choose not to focus on the inevitable end, but on enjoying life while we have it. When you're on a fairground ride and they start it up, do you sit there fretting because you'll have to get off it a few minutes later?

The Andes crash survivors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan ... Flight_571 could have told you there are worse things than dying in an air crash. There's survival that depends on eating your friends during 10 weeks in sub-zero temperatures.

arent people programmed biologically to try to survive?

Very much so, and it isn't just people. Plants and animals struggle to survive, as well. That's the foundation of Darwin's Theory of Evolution, and it's a good thing. A life that's too easy is intolerable boredom.

I have had lot of difficult times.

You and everyone else, Hamming. That's the flipside of the survival instinct: suffering. Plants, people and other animals also suffer. Every one of us suffers sometimes -- but there's legitimate suffering, such as what we might have to do to survive; and there's needless (or self-indulgent) suffering such as fretting over end-of-life issues way ahead of time. Wait till the plane crashes with you in it, Hamming; most of the Andes survivors said it was the best thing that ever happened to them. By running ahead to your own demise and what comes next, you're ruining your present experience. Mindfulness https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-an ... ndfulness/ could be a great help to you here.

I am afraid to make suicide because I might burn in hell forever. So that it is good...

You make me laugh. Can't you see you're ruining your present by fretting over the future? You're on a fantastic planet containing everything you'll ever need and you want out? Wake up and smell the coffee, laddie! All those "difficult times" you've had were in your head, and still are. Get a grip. Take control of your thinking, because that's your responsibility and no one else's.

Again, mindfulness. Stop swallowing what other people tell you and locate your own wisdom.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 294

Postby Hamming » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 am

So, you're not sure if God exists but wouldn't kill yourself in case you burn in hell? So you believe hell exists? How?

I do not blindly believe that hell exits, but I am so not sure, because so many people believe. Same as with God. If God exists, then hell exists.
Thinking logically it does not exist. But what if I do not understand something. Or do not know something. And why so many people believe in those things?

It migth be that also I want to believe, so that world would be better place to live, but then other have to belvie and be afraid to go to hell and be good people.

When you're on a fairground ride and they start it up, do you sit there fretting because you'll have to get off it a few minutes later?

I am fretting few seconds after start, I want so that it stop, because I might die, but I cannot control. I will never enter those again. It was so unpleasant, I do not get whats they point to show for others that you do not fear. But there is always a risk that something will crash, and you might die just for showing to others that you do not fear. Whats the point.

That Andes crash survivors was good story. Thats too difficult to say whats better to survive in that crash or die instantly. And it depends on if hell exists or not. But its easier to say - better to fly or not, and I would answer - first better to not fly. Especially with inexperienced pilot as the article wrote. Can we even get the information about pilots who we fly with when before flying?
Hamming
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 2

Postby Candid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Hamming wrote:.. better to not fly. Especially with inexperienced pilot as the article wrote. Can we even get the information about pilots who we fly with when before flying?

The Andes crash was nearly 50 years ago, my friend, and I'm old enough to remember it. Since then I've logged I don't know how many flight hours, including a helicopter over the Great Barrier Reef, a wee two-seater piloted by a learner, and a somewhat bigger 40-seater that was expected to crash and didn't. (They had eight fire trucks on the runway when we landed, though.)

Another thing that's happened since 1971 is computers have taken over from pilots. They still have to be sober, and interrupt their passengers with flight details, but there's really no point asking for information about who's flying the plane.

This fear of death stems from the fear of god you're exploring in one of your other threads. It seems to translate into a fear of life, and I think that's sad. Read some Richard Bach, especially his book called Illusions. Richard's a pilot (of the smallest planes there are) as well as a writer, so he knows what he's talking about.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 294