Question: Self-hypnosis in deep states

#135

Postby moonlightress » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:But is it really? Isn’t the “case study” the standard in the hypnosis community for data? It certainly isn’t peer reviewed replication. Hypnosis deals almost exclusively in the “case by case” approach and as stated earlier a healthy dose of “personal empiricism”.

Sure, it's qualitative research. But if you're going to do a case study, you interview and research the 'case' thoroughly, to make the case study a decent contribution to the body of knowledge. I'm saying the case study is flawed because of insufficient interviewing.

And I can see and acknowledge your point of view. I think it is great seen through your eyes what must be perceived as wonderful progress because of one word: hypnosis.

This doesn’t mean there is not another viewpoint or interpretation of what you have written. Your personal interpretation of what you have written is not the only interpretation. From a different perspective, many of your responses do not seem to indicate the successful application of hypnosis.

Thank you. In some respects, I see your point of view too. I just don't agree that you've proven your hypothesis through this particular case study.
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7


#136

Postby moonlightress » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 am

GoodVIbes wrote:Here's what I have to say about this, I read your initial post and some of the others, but decided to share my 2 cents.

Hi GoodVibes :)
Thanks so much for weighing in here! I went to your website and just want you to know, I'm making notes for a response. I'm just a bit swamped, because this conversation is far more interesting than the material I'm *supposed* to be studying for the course I'm enrolled in, which is causing all sorts of inner conflict. :roll: :lol:
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#137

Postby moonlightress » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:54 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:And this depends on asking the public to decide for themselves what 25 years of participating in self-help forums and still worried about being told you are courageous means? Is that evidence of hypnosis working?

Worried? Did I come across as worried about it? Puzzled, is more like it. I have a blind spot there. (Actually, since you've brought it up and I've looked back, in the light of what's happened since, I can see how Jimmy had a point, and how pointing at my blind spot, was an element in the gesturing and nudging towards the exit. :D )

Give hypnosis a chance, it's faster than some other therapies, but it's not an instant cure-all. :lol:
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#138

Postby jimmyh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Give hypnosis a chance, it's faster than some other therapies, but it's not an instant cure-all. :lol:


Perhaps one way of putting it is that hypnosis is like nitrous oxide. If you know what you're doing and don't blow up your engine, injecting nitrous can help you get places a lot faster. However, if you give a bottle of nitrous to some nincompoop, that isn't going to help him find your house, and may actively get in his way if he uses it wrong.
jimmyh
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Likes Received: 19

#139

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 am

jimmyh wrote:
Give hypnosis a chance, it's faster than some other therapies, but it's not an instant cure-all. :lol:


Perhaps one way of putting it is that hypnosis is like nitrous oxide. If you know what you're doing and don't blow up your engine, injecting nitrous can help you get places a lot faster. However, if you give a bottle of nitrous to some nincompoop, that isn't going to help him find your house, and may actively get in his way if he uses it wrong.


Is street racing or motorcycles a hobby or interest you have, or just a metaphor you find useful? Just curious.

As for the courageous *non-thought* thought, it was about what that conversation presupposes. In order to have that dialogue and mutual understanding of the humor involved, it presupposes an issue. The presupposition is understandably not of any real interest if a person has faith in hypnosis.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 998

#140

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:11 am

moonlightress wrote:Thank you. In some respects, I see your point of view too. I just don't agree that you've proven your hypothesis through this particular case study.


And we have agreement. I think it reasonable that any person reading this thread would fully understand you dismissing my observations. That is to be expected.

I also believe it is rather easy to see why you...or anyone else for that matter....might selectively claim any opinions they don’t like are not valid, because the individual making the observations doesn’t know your full background, but then fails to apply that same standard to advice that you like. It is very, very common.

In fact, in my years on the forum I have never once seen a person use the “you don’t know my entire story” rational when the opinion offered up is something with which they agree. It is only ever offered as a defense to opinions that a person finds disagreeable. Again, totally understandable.

moonlightress wrote:Give hypnosis a chance, it's faster than some other therapies, but it's not an instant cure-all. :lol:


This is what I was actually thinking about earlier, before reading this comment. It isn’t as if I have never thought of it before, but for some reason it never clicked. There is a certain paradox in a person that invests in hypnosis. They are seeking to find relief, but they can’t afford to find a cure. For some, hypnosis must always remain unable to ever slay the dragon. And I would argue that for a person that truly commits their time, energy, and resources to hypnosis, it would increasingly become more frightening to believe that one day hypnosis would no longer be required.

And I’m not saying you specifically. I’m only saying that when I read through the thread it is apparent to me that both jimmyh and yourself are very well versed in hypnosis. You are committed to the practice and to you hypnosis is more than just the individual that gives it a try to quit smoking. For that individual they have nothing invested. They quit smoke, they attribute it to hypnosis and even say hypnosis saved their life, but they don’t have the emotional investment that hypnosis is for lack of a better term, a “lifestyle” or life long pursuit. For a person intensely interested in self-hypnosis then, there will be some that must always have a monster to face. Does that make sense? Can you see that possibility?

Again, I’m not saying you specifically. I’m just asking, do you know anyone that is so tied to hypnosis that to no longer need hypnosis in their life would be unthinkable? Is it possible that someone could become so reliant on hypnosis that monsters would need to be manufactured in order to avoid facing the ultimate monster?
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 998

#141

Postby moonlightress » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 pm

jimmyh wrote:Actually... hmm.. you know, that was absolutely 100% in the plan already. I think I thought I could skip that step because you're already experienced as a hypnotic subject and kinda assumed you'd have had that part down already. In hindsight it was clearly a bad assumption to make.

And I was thinking that this *wasn’t* about going into hypnosis, so the whole route of letting things rattle around in the subconscious wasn’t part of it, so it must be some other way you’re referring to, but what other way? I *resorted* to that in the end. :D

(And for all my “experience as a hypnotic subject”, I still can’t make my finger twitch subconsciously, nor get any kind of hallucinations, neither negative nor positive. I can’t forget my name and my hands don’t stick to anything. And there’s no green whatsoever in the Danish sky this time of year. :lol: My experience seems to consist of being really suggestible, knowing how to drop into trance and be wide open to suggestions and a dubious "talent" for disappearing off to god-knows-where. Where I'm hoping you're right, GoodVibes, stuff still happens! I was listening to a tape last night, I remember the induction and then next thing he was saying 'time to emerge' and I was like 'heyyy, what happened to the nice part in the middle?' - but the whole tape had played, so it'd happened again.)

jimmyh wrote:It seems to me that you understood both the object level point AND the meta level point, and are just getting confused about what I’m referring to while “debriefing”.
Does that help/sound right to you?

Yes and no. Mostly no. :? I don’t think I *did* get the meta level point, even if it seems like that to you. When I got to the “exit” I was really very focused on the object level outcome and it was *fantastic*, but I did have a sense of “what actually happened there?”, and now I’m also more interested in the meta level. I’m feeling just as confused as I was in the process. I think I’m going to need a more concrete explanation, than just gesturing? I know it’s all clear to you and I know text doesn’t convey non-verbals, but I’d really like to get to the point in the last paragraph of your blog post – “walking away with an understanding that you can begin to put into practice as you see fit?"

… there’s the meta level stuff about “how to be open to suggestion when appropriate so that you can learn things like ‘how to deal with [people you see as] idiots’”, and the difficulty there was largely that you didn’t realize you could just sit and “do nothing” (which isn’t really “doing nothing”, of course) until you could see where to go (either on the object level or figuring out the rest of the meta level).

And how did we get from “how to be open to suggestion when appropriate” (a judgment call on the person/suggestion?) and “use what you’ve learnt from hypnosis” (going into trance?) to the exit of getting a memory? :?

I wasn’t being that specific when I said “gesturing towards the exit”,

No kidding... :D
...and wasn’t trying to distinguish between “showing you the exit itself” and “showing you the map that will lead you to the exit”, because either way I was gesturing with the intent to getting you actually through the exit, and it seems that the bumbling around could largely have been avoided by simply pointing out that that it’s okay to “do nothing” and process subconsciously.

So ok, at which point would it have helped to know that? While I was trying to answer the question in the suggestion “why don’t you allow yourself (ack, I forget exactly) to not feel the fear outside of trance etc etc” – which I said I was zoning out on, several times in the day, when I said "he's got a point. why *don't I do that? Wasn’t getting an answer by doing it that way. Then I tried to rationalize my way, with no luck either. “How to accept suggestions…?” - you assess the person, then the suggestion and if it's a good one you.. errr... accept it? Do you mean process it subconsciously? You said “I was suggesting you lead yourself into hypnosis if that’s what felt right to you”, you mean into trance, to accept it? :?

It’s pretty clear I’m thrashing around in this, isn’t it? :lol:
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#142

Postby moonlightress » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I just reread that ^^. I'll make the questions more specific, if you want. I realize it's very jumbled! :roll: :D
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#143

Postby moonlightress » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi GoodVibes

Thank you for weighing in here. Sorry I took so long to reply <litany of excuses>. :D

GoodVIbes wrote:Here's what I have to say about this, I read your initial post and some of the others, but decided to share my 2 cents.

Hopefully you read past page 1, because the actual conversation only began on page 2, with Jimmy's first post addressing my question.

Did you open your eyes at the end when you were told to open your eyes?

Yes, I did and virtually always do, unless it’s late and I’m very tired, which is the wrong time to do it anyway. It’s conditioned by the Deep Trance Healing and Ultraheight audios I listen/ed to over and over, I know. They’re *wonderful* (at least the times I remember what is said!) Plus two of my three f2f hypnosis sessions were with Ines Simpson (deep state).

Some people are naturally somnambulistic, meaning they have amnesia after the session….

I don’t know if I was before, maybe; but like you said, I practice every day. I don’t remember much of either of the SP sessions either.

If so I'd say you just went really deep and do not recall what happened. If you didn't I would not say that you were definitely asleep, but the odds are high. If you have trouble going to sleep while in hypnosis, don't get so comfortable and do not listen at bedtime, unless you are using it to help you get to sleep.

Thank you for this advice, yes, I can see that. It tends to be near bedtime, so yes, that doesn’t help, either. I have just one chair in my dorm room, a straight-back, arm-less office chair on wheels. Not ideal, but I’ve been using that the past week and it does help me not go so deep, at least not amnesic. Thanks for the suggestion.

So if you are sleeping while listening to the recording or if you are in a deep state of somnambulism (amnesia after the session) you may actually be more open to accepting the suggestions than if you were hypnotized and aware of the sound the the hypnotists voice.

…, suggestions are accepted even if you are not aware of the voice of the hypnotist. That means you could be asleep or you could be in a deep state of somnambulism.

That’s great to hear, thank you. I’ve seen videos where some say if you fall asleep, you’re not absorbing any more. (Obviously you do in hypnogogia, but not thereafter.)

One more point related to the question at hand. When you listen to a recording it can be helpful, but working one on one with a well trained and experienced hypnotherapist can provide much more benefit.

I totally agree. It’s just that I’m a student and can’t afford much, otherwise there are a few things I’d love to go to someone for. I was given trigger words in the SP sessions, both to make any subsequent sessions faster, but also for self-hypnosis which she is very much an advocate of. Since then, I’ve been using her audios on selfhypnosis.esdaileinstitute.com along with a few others.

Even in a deep state of somnambulism, the client can speak and move a finger, this way I know you are not asleep, even if you have amnesia after the session. There are also many benefits to what are called interactive processes. Basically a conversation between the hypnotist and the client while the client is in hypnosis that provides the opportunity to gain insight into the current situation or challenge the client is facing.

There’s a good chance that I’m telling you something you already know, and if so, I’m really sorry! But have you seen simpsonprotocol.com? There are some demo sessions on there. It’s just like you describe, and sounds similar to the higher self sessions you mention you do, in the other thread you commented on. My two sessions with Ines were of that kind, interactive throughout, with hand signals, while in deep state.
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#144

Postby moonlightress » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm

WHOA. I just had the *coolest* experience a short while ago!

After I went and hypnotized myself earlier in this conversation, I went off googling “waking hypnosis” - clicked various links, one of them being Hypnosiswithouttrance.com, read stuff there, went to YouTube and watched a few videos of James Tripp and subscribed to his channel.

I was sitting watching something else, when a notification popped up on my phone – that he was live streaming, talking about “Overcome fear of failure – Hypnosis vs Life”, so of course I went to YouTube and watched – you could comment and ask questions, and the topic was really interesting, so I commented. He *read out* my comment and answered me! “You’ll handle it because you're a person who handles things”. I’m sitting here like this: :shock: :shock: :shock: ! How cool is that???

Overcome fear of failure – Hypnosis vs Life

It’s at 16.00 minutes. And yes, it got hypnotic, because, huh, it doesn’t take very much for me to go into trance in the first place and now James Tripp is talking directly to *me* for just over a minute and I’m feeling super awed, so I’m listening with very, very focused attention to a very direct suggestion with very unfocused eyes. Go look and you’ll see why and then tell me that isn't hypnotic! :lol:

My mind’s pretty blown right now. :shock: :shock: :shock: ...... :D
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#145

Postby jimmyh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Is street racing or motorcycles a hobby or interest you have, or just a metaphor you find useful? Just curious.

Nah, just a metaphor I find useful. Motorcycles and the street are too dangerous for my taste even before you add racing in. Stakes are too high and all that.

It’s far from a major hobby of mine, but I will get on a dirt bike from time to time, and I do have a bit of a thing about the importance exploring the limits of your vehicle when it’s safe/contained so that you know your safety margins and how to handle things when you run out of it. Bad things happen sometimes even with conservative driving, and “running closer to the limits than they realized” is a contributing factor to a decent number of accidents.


As for the courageous *non-thought* thought, it was about what that conversation presupposes. In order to have that dialogue and mutual understanding of the humor involved, it presupposes an issue. The presupposition is understandably not of any real interest if a person has faith in hypnosis.


I don’t follow. What issue do you see the conversation as presupposing, and of what what do you take from it?
jimmyh
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Likes Received: 19

#146

Postby jimmyh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:42 pm

For a person intensely interested in self-hypnosis then, there will be some that must always have a monster to face. Does that make sense? Can you see that possibility?

Again, I’m not saying you specifically. I’m just asking, do you know anyone that is so tied to hypnosis that to no longer need hypnosis in their life would be unthinkable? Is it possible that someone could become so reliant on hypnosis that monsters would need to be manufactured in order to avoid facing the ultimate monster?


You’re suggesting that someone might get so attached to their favorite method of solving problems that once all the problems are solved they have to make new ones so as to not set down their favorite problem solver? No, I have never seen that (with “hypnosis” or otherwise), and it does not seem like a very coherent problem to me.

People will sometimes make up new problems so as to avoid facing the more intimidating one, but “my favorite problem solver has been so damn effective that it made me into a perfect person” hardly sounds intimidating — especially to someone who is already perfect, and therefore not easily intimidated.
jimmyh
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Likes Received: 19

#147

Postby moonlightress » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm

moonlightress wrote: URL for "Overcome fear of failure – Hypnosis vs Life"

He's removed it. Pity!! I'd really have liked to listen to it again (and again and again).

My computer had cached it, so I managed to go through and transcribe the 2 minutes, but I lost the video when the page reloaded. I would post what he said, here, it was remarkable, but since he's removed it, I don't want to violate his ... don't know what you'd call it? - If he removed it, I don't feel I have a right to "publish" what he said? It was applicable to the topic generally, he was just using my example.

He said a lot of other interesting things about fear, so I'm really sad it's gone. I can hope he just wants to edit it, and will put up an edited version.

Amazing experience, nevertheless. :)
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7

#148

Postby jimmyh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:46 am

After I went and hypnotized myself earlier in this conversation, I went off googling “waking hypnosis” - clicked various links, one of them being Hypnosiswithouttrance.com, read stuff there, went to YouTube and watched a few videos of James Tripp and subscribed to his channel.


I’m not really a fan. There’s definitely value in the kinds of things he teaches, but I’ve been less than impressed with what I’ve seen from him, especially when other hypnotists are pointing out when he’s wrong.


Overcome fear of failure – Hypnosis vs Life

It’s at 16.00 minutes. And yes, it got hypnotic, because, huh, it doesn’t take very much for me to go into trance in the first place and now James Tripp is talking directly to *me* for just over a minute and I’m feeling super awed, so I’m listening with very, very focused attention to a very direct suggestion with very unfocused eyes. Go look and you’ll see why and then tell me that isn't hypnotic!

My mind’s pretty blown right now. ......


Heh. I did see his response to you before he took the video down. I’m glad you got something from it.

That said, that response strikes me as a textbook example of what I’d call “the hypnotist failure mode”. In other words, “yes, it is hypnotic, and that is exactly the problem” :P.

I think his point does apply to you and the situation you’re in, but his argument involves some sleight of hand to pretend that he’s more sure of this than he really is. Works great so long as you believe it and it’s true, but the moment you start to get that doubt again (perhaps because you end up or fear that you might end up in one of the cases where his argument doesn’t actually hold) he’s just blown his credibility and you’ll likely have a harder time believing him the second time. The moment he’s wrong, you end up f***ed — specifically “In a situation that you could not be meaningfully said to have ‘handled’”.

What I’d append to everything he said is “...probably”. Confidence is great, and you don’t have to look away from the potential of real meaningful failure in order to have it.

Here’s a really excellent post relating to this idea. I highly recommend all of this guy’s writing, btw.
jimmyh
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Likes Received: 19

#149

Postby moonlightress » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:50 pm

When the video disappeared I wrote to ask if I could get a copy of just that clip and was told he hadn't taken it down deliberately, it was accidentally lost when he tried to upload an HD version. Apparently they tried all kinds of things, but it wasn't possible to retrieve it. He's also disappointed, it ran to 28 minutes.
jimmyh wrote:I’m not really a fan. There’s definitely value in the kinds of things he teaches, but I’ve been less than impressed with what I’ve seen from him, especially when other hypnotists are pointing out when he’s wrong.

I'm clearly not in any position to comment on the intricacies of techniques and whether he’s wrong or right, as you can do. But I can tell you what landed with me, which may be a little different from how it appeared to you or anyone else, or for that matter, what *he* even intended.

Heh. I did see his response to you before he took the video down. I’m glad you got something from it.

I am really glad you saw it, or I’d have wondered if I’d hallucinated it. :D Did you watch the video from the start? Because I think what he had said in the 16 minutes preceding his response to me, put it in a certain frame, which wouldn’t have been clear from just the two-minute clip.

That said, that response strikes me as a textbook example of what I’d call “the hypnotist failure mode”. In other words, “yes, it is hypnotic, and that is exactly the problem” :P.

I think his point does apply to you and the situation you’re in, but his argument involves some sleight of hand to pretend that he’s more sure of this than he really is. Works great so long as you believe it and it’s true, but the moment you start to get that doubt again (perhaps because you end up or fear that you might end up in one of the cases where his argument doesn’t actually hold) he’s just blown his credibility and you’ll likely have a harder time believing him the second time. The moment he’s wrong, you end up f***ed — specifically “In a situation that you could not be meaningfully said to have ‘handled’”.

What I’d append to everything he said is “...probably”. Confidence is great, and you don’t have to look away from the potential of real meaningful failure in order to have it.

Yeah, I get you and I can see how. I’m not able to view this dispassionately or objectively, though; I was way too involved. I’ll explain why.

All he knew of me was from a short two-sentence comment. Since he had no background whatsoever he couldn’t know whether I was headed into a hare-brained scheme, whether I was at all capable of making a success of it, or a host of other factors. I imagine he was just using what I said as an example of what he was talking about, and showing how he’d address it, and being emphatic about it, which got very hypnotic. But I didn’t receive “You’ll handle it” as necessarily meaning I wouldn’t fail. He’d talked about how failure is part of life. What I heard was, <even if you do fail, you can reframe it and> “you’ll handle it”.

There’s a lot of background to this, more than I want to say here; suffice it to say that before the first session with Ines, and before the self-hypnosis I started earlier, I’d never in a million years have even *considered* buying and running my own business, and an up-and-running-at-full-speed clinic, to boot. I did not possess that kind of courage before the hypnosis. No, let me rephrase that, I did not *know* that I possessed that kind of courage.

I had to give a verbal ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the clinic owner in July, before my second session with Ines, and I *gambled* on having gained enough courage and belief in myself, from self hypnosis and if necessary, further sessions with Ines, by the time it came to going ahead with it. (Hence the ego strengthening self hypnosis I came asking about.) “Gamble” was the operative word, there was no certainty I’d cope and I was actually terrified. If the past is the best predictor of the future, I would definitely *not* have been able to. While I was thinking, about it, I’d found a quote by Erin Hanson, “What if I fall? Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?” and pinned it up next to “We regret more the things we didn’t do, than the things we did do.” My heart leapt for joy, every time I read “What if you fly?” while I considered all the pros and cons, the worst-case scenarios, would I survive them, *could* I survive them? Would a failure crush my spirit? And you know, about a month back, I realized I'm up for the challenge. I'll have to work my butt off to learn everything, but I’m going to do this, or die trying (I won’t die!)

Onto the video. In the first 16 minutes, he talked about how, if something didn’t work out as you intended, you didn’t have to frame it as a failure. Not a new idea, of course. He used his hand-stick routine as an example and talked about times where it failed twice and then worked the third time around, and how he reframed that for the subject as if that was exactly what he’d intended to happen. He talked about two kinds of “what-ifs” – the fear-driven and the one driven by curiosity. It was directly relevant to my situation, so I wrote the comment, saying so.

I wasn’t just in ‘waking hypnosis’ from what he said, it was also from the startlingly serendipitous timing and the way the whole thing happened. With the background of, “What if I fly?”, the memory of handling the desk clerk, from what we just did here, the “you are more than equal to the task”, “you’re quietly assertive, never aggressive, just quietly assertive” and many other suggestions from Ines’ tapes which I’ve lost count of the number of times, I’ve listened to - now you can see the fertile ground on which these suggestions landed: “You’ll handle it because you’re a person who handles things”, "you will continue to handle everything that comes your way, everything, for the rest of your life" and "so know this, and know this deeply, your what-if, the answer is, you’ll handle it".

I didn’t hear any kind of guarantee that I wouldn’t fail. That possibility wasn’t going to, and won’t disappear. The statement “you’ve handled everything before, because you’re here” is obviously true. (Isn’t that a hypnotic strategy? Say a bunch of true stuff so you have the subject agreeing, and then slip in the suggestion?) I’ve not always handled everything well, but I didn’t hear “handled” as “meaningfully handled” or even necessarily “well handled”. Just handled, in the sense that it won’t crush me. Whatever happens, I’ll deal with it, whether that’s well, or badly. If it goes belly-up, it would be very hard, sure, but I’d get up again. I’ve fallen and got up again many times, and I’m thriving and living a happy life. And if I fail and lose it all, that failure can be reframed to “I dared to do it. I might have failed, but I had the guts to dream and to dare, and the guts to risk failing and still get up again” - and that, now that would be a victory, not a failure. The argument will hold either way.

So yeah, regardless of his technique or intention (certainly not trance!), or sleight of hand in appearing more confident than he could realistically be, given that he knew *nothing* about me, my circumstances and where I’d come from, the timing was surreal and I let the suggestions right in. I sat staring and hyperfocused on the screen, knowing I wasn’t dreaming but thinking “how can this be happening right now?” :shock: :shock:

Interpret it how you will. I’m not assigning any meaning, at least not here. :D

Here’s a really excellent post relating to this idea. I highly recommend all of this guy’s writing, btw.

I can see why. And yes, that’s a fantastic take on confidence. I read several of his other posts; they’re excellent. (So are those two posts of Tim Urban’s, btw. ;) )
moonlightress
Full Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am
Likes Received: 7


PreviousNext

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Hypnosis