Over the addiction, but still struggling

Postby Recovery1395 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:25 am

Hi,

As someone who has cut back smoking weed considerably, I question whether I can be considered an addict and be posting in this forum. However, I still struggle with cutting it out of my life completely. Right now I am smoking about once a month. I just smoked 2 days ago after 26 days without. Even though I have made a lot of progress in my attempt to beat addiction over the past 5 years or so, I still want to end my relationship with this shitty substance.

I have a mental health condition that was brought about partly by my heavy weed use a long time ago. You’d think that would stop me from partaking, but no.

Are there any other people out there who have success at going for long bouts without, but return to it, despite their best intentions? What are some strategies used to get past that desire to return after a long time without?

Thank you for reading. :)
Recovery1395

Likes Received: 33

Postby tokeless » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi,
It might be worth asking yourself what difference does smoking mean to you when you do use.. What is it's function for you? Then ask how this relates to you managing without for long periods of time. The fact you can abstain but return suggests it has a function that maybe relates to your tolerance to manage without it before lapsing again.
tokeless

Likes Received: 224