Lisping

Postby TaitoMove » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello, this is my first time posting on a forum like this, I just really want a solution. Up until I was 14 I had no idea what a lisp was until my classmates pointed it out to me. At that age they just plain said to me that you have a lisp. At the time I didn't know what it was so I questioned them and asked what it was. They just said say the letter "s". I did and everyone laughed. At this point I still have no idea why they're laughing and questioned them again and they just said "you say it weird". Other students would laugh at me and really made me feel sad. I was really embarrassed of myself and to be honest, I still am.

In school I hated maths, sports and science. I used to dread going to those lessons because of how the other student's would laugh at me when I said the number six or seven. I used to have to tally up my own score in sports if we were playing something like ping pong or badminton. I would have to communicate the score to my teammate and would get to five and then just stay quite for the next to numbers (6 and 7). I got paranoid when I had to present in class, just thinking about more people laughing at me made me feel awful. I used to tell my mum I was sick just to stay off school on days I knew I would be presenting.

Since then I've made a sort of plan where I can avoid those situations where I would have to say a word that has the letter S in it. For example, instead of saying she I would say her. It's not grammatically correct in some situations but it gets the point across. And I've made a sort of plan to avoid every word that contains the letter s. To think back, there hasn't been one day I haven't thought about this since I was 14. I sort of think to myself how have I let this bother me for so long. I think that the main reason I haven't moved on is because I myself think it's stupid. It ruins the way I say words and makes me sound stupid. I think a small part of me hating the way it sounds is because of the way I was laughed at but I do believe that even without that I would still think it takes away from speech.

My parent's or siblings never brought it up to me which really confused me when I was a bit younger. I don't know if they just got used to it and don't even realise now or they were just trying to make me feel a bit better. I'm way to embarrassed to talk to anyone about this and I've searched on google and went to my local hospital and got leaflets on possible ways to solve it.

My question is has anyone else had the same experience? How did you fix your lisp? I really don't want to talk to anyone about this, is there a way in which I can do this alone? Thank you very much, Alexander.
TaitoMove

Likes Received: 0

Postby Chad Capote » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:22 am

It is okay.

Breathe.

Smile.

Speak one word at a time.

Fall in love with the sounds of your own voice.

Lisp.

Laugh.

Live.
Chad Capote

Likes Received: 1

Return to Psychology