Should I take an SSRI for Weed induced PAWS?

Postby Cthompson21 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Here's my sad story. I successfully got through a 2 and a half year bout of PAWS from another substance (a drug called Strattera) and was proud, got my own place, new job, etc. Then one day a few weeks ago I decided to smoke weed, not a lot, but it brought on feelings of anxiety. Since then the anxiety has worsened. I can't sleep at night but maybe 4 or 5 hours. I feel like PAWs is BACK full force, I've ruined my life and now I'm on an antidepressant (Zoloft) for my symptoms. Last time it took two years plus to get over PAWS. I know I'll get through it again but my worry is will an antidepressant hurt or help? I take it in the morning and anxiety goes away, by the end of the day it's back and I can't sleep. My doctors don't seem to know much about PAWS so they're not much help other than they want me to take a higher dose. If anyone can give me answers or suggestions, please send them.
Cthompson21

Likes Received: 29

Postby BullFrog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Sorry no one has responded yet. Hopefully someone will soon. I can't give any advice as to the antidepressant, so hopefully someone can jump in soon and give their own personal experience as many here have used antiidepressants in their recovery journey.
BullFrog

Likes Received: 53

Postby Cthompson21 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank you bullfrog. I read some other threads on this same topics that all say the same thing...it's different for everyone. I tried Zoloft for two weeks and decided to stop. it made me feel okay for some of the day then really anxious at night when it wore off, then when I stopped it i felt more anxious but now I feel a little better. I don't want an SSRI to *not* work and then come off of it and deal with the discontinuation symptoms on top of what I'm going through. If anxiety gets really bad again maybe I'll try someone else but for now I'm gonna manage with natural techniques.
Cthompson21

Postby Astro413 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Hey Cthompson, I would advise you stay away from the A/D’s I know how hard this is but you just gotta keep your head up. I’ve read a ton of forums and a lot of these guys get through the whole process without taking any. I’ve also read that taking A/D’s before you’re fully healed is a bad thing as well because you never found your baseline. I’ve questioned whether or not I should take one too but in the end I think we will find out that we don’t in fact need them. Stay strong, my prayers going out to you, we’re gonna get through this.
Astro413

Likes Received: 23

Postby Cthompson21 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Thank you so much Astro. I really appreciate it! That's my thinking too right now, I wanna see if in a couple months I'm a little better before I try anything like that. Like I said I went on Zoloft for two weeks and it helped but it mightve also set me back some....just have to wait and see. You stay strong too buddy, one day at a time...
Cthompson21