Weed PAWS - Triggers?

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

Hi All,

I recently read about some situations/actions that trigger off an intense episode of PAWS.

For example: Alcohol would trigger an anxiety episode the next day or a while after sobering up.
Caffine would set thoughts to race faster and more crazier.
A sudden change in sleep cycles (for whatever reasons) would increase physical symptoms like shakiness.

Any other specific triggers anyone else wants to call out so that others can avoid these triggers as much as possible and make recovery smoother?
ashthewarrior7

Likes Received: 28

Postby BullFrog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Great thread idea ash.

I can concur with the alcohol trigger. However, it only becomes a trigger for me if I have too much. If I have just a beer (or maybe even two) it's almost always not an issue. Excess definitely increases the possibility for symptoms for myself.

Caffeine also is the same for me. I can drink a cup of tea, even black tea, and usually be fine. But if I have a strong coffee, it usually will make me anxious or even jittery (something that never occurred before experiencing PAWS.

Lack of sleep increases the pressure and dizziness in my head. Not much I can do about that though as the poor sleep was largely caused by PAWS.

Also watching really dark and depressing movies could trigger sometimes. Now I mostly watch only comedies and uplifting films/shows.
BullFrog

Likes Received: 57

Postby Cthompson21 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 pm

I think the biggest trigger for me is overextending myself. I want to live life like I did before PAWS but it's just not possible without making symptoms even worse! It's depressing, feeling like you have a chronic illness that limits your activities. I've had to learn to say no to people who want me to go to this and that party, event, whatever, because i need to restore myself. Also caffeine, alcohol, or any mood altering substance will trigger paws and slow down recovery. Also thinking/worrying about the future. What's gonna happen to me? For me anyway, thinking about the future = anxiety. Trying to take it day by day is the best strategy. Time will go by one way or another, and like everyone says on here time is the cure. I hope this is helpful.
Cthompson21

Likes Received: 34

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:26 am

Hey guys,

Another on I realized.
Loud music or using headphones triggers off tinnitus. Recommend to avoid these during PAWS.
ashthewarrior7

Postby Lucy0611 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:20 pm

My triggers are...
-alcohol
-sleepless nights
-to be bored
- negative fearful thoughts about myself/future/feelings/body...
-to analyse myself
-too much stress
-too much exercise/sauna
-similar smell of weed
-talking about good old "high" experience (nostalgia)
-having trouble with someone
-nervousness
-bad nutrition
-negative thoughts pattern
-frightening situations
-like Cthompson: I try to live my life like before, but it it's not the same. It makes me angry, scared and sad sometimes. That's a big trigger.....
Lucy0611

Likes Received: 7

Postby Astro413 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Lucy I wouldn’t worry so much about living life like you did before, half the battle during paws is finding yourself. You need to keep yourself distracted constantly or else the negative thoughts, PAWS symptoms set in. I’ve read on multiple success story’s that once you finally beat PAWS you do in fact start living exactly how you did before you quit with a bunch of cool new hobbies. (If that’s the route you decide to take) of course you could always sit around and not do anything but this may extend the length of time you will experience PAWS.
Astro413

Likes Received: 25

Postby leavepawsbehind » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Any amount of alcohol makes PAWS worse for me. I used to enjoy a beer every Friday before PAWS but no longer is this a good idea.

Nothing else is as predictable as alcohol. Some stress is good and distracting, some stress is bad and anxiety inducing.
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 8

Postby Bagobones » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am

I usually got them right after a good meal. I have no idea why! Lunch I had to skip or be careful with, because it would ruin the rest of the work day..

Hard workout with thaiboxing or Ashtanga yoga killed the paws every time if I had it hard.. Gym or running did not take PAWS away.. I had the "theory" that my brain got something to work so hard with that it had no room for PAWS.. hehe
Bagobones

Likes Received: 140

Postby Lucy0611 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Bagobanes, I forgot it. I also got them after lunch, especially when Im eating too much .... don't know why.
Lucy0611

Likes Received: 7

Postby AngryDwarf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 pm

What kind of meals are you eating? Sounds like it could be an issue with blood sugar - I think people prone to hypoglycemia in general will find that their condition makes PAWS so much worse. For example, eating too much protein with not enough carbohydrates can cause blood sugar to plummet. Some experience the same thing when combining starches with fat. It's highly individual, so it may be worthwhile to experiment with macronutrient ratios a bit. Some do well on high sugar diets, others on high fat diets. Many somewhere between.

I personally feel a relief after eating. I eat mostly boiled potatoes & vegetables and cheese. Usually 1-2 tablespoons of sugar on top of every meal too. All of this makes me feel calm, warm and focused.
AngryDwarf

Likes Received: 9

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am

interesting. I think it's more of the brain getting stimulated/energy after food and makes it more active. Eating slowly can help. I think PAWS messes with your sugar levels - basically all your homeostasis factors so Water, Acidity (Ph levels), Salts, Sugar, Pressure (Blood pressure), Calcium, Oxygen and other secondary vitamins and minerals. So basically it is not like your body gets deficient of any of the above but the brain doesn't use them right? maybe? that's just my theory (i'm no expert) but when either of the above drops or increases, PAWS should go into over drive like skipping a meal or very hungry (low sugar) can make thoughts race way too much, increase depression and anxiety. same for too much sugar. Same theory works for a very intense work out where your blood pressure increases. Same for a stressful situation. Alcohol decreases acidity (makes body more alkaline). I think we are more sensitive to these changes now and it takes a toll on our recovering brain to set these back to optimal when they change. so even they may not be medically out of value/range it still takes us a lot of effort to get back to optimal levels. what do you guys think? (Remember, PAWS affects everyone differently, so for some a lot of sugar might not be a biggie but for others it could be really bad)
ashthewarrior7

Postby Robb1e_g » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 pm

I have the exact same triggers Lucy and I’m at 10 months clean. I can see from the start of PAWS I am handling the symptoms MUCH MUCH better but the fear is still there and sometimes it does hit me hard. But it’s getting better no doubt. Something that really helps me is getting a morning routine and meditating and praying on everything you’re thankful for, and telling yourself positive things in the mirror before you leave the house and throughout the day, even if you don’t feel that way say it anyways, it will help if you continue to do it
Robb1e_g

Likes Received: 35

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Hey guys, another trigger I've found. Indian ginseng is another trigger if consumed, just like coffee and alcohol. I am not sure about other ginsengs but the Indian definitely triggers.
ashthewarrior7