Feeling unmotivated since I quit smoking weed

Postby joe1029 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I haven't smoked any weed for the past 3 months. I don't even think about it anymore. But for the past 3 months I just haven't had motivation to see anything through. I used to love developing video game content and 3d art, but lately I just haven't felt like it, and every time I start I just trail off and stop shortly after. When I used to smoke a little weed each day I would work on something for months on end, and I used to love the results as well as the work. Frankly, for the past few months I just really haven't enjoyed anything. I do drink a little, but not a lot. No more than when I was smoking anyway.

No idea whats wrong. Would love some insight. I just want to get back to work. I'm considering starting to smoke again.
joe1029

Likes Received: 0

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Joe1029,

This is very common, Lack of motivation, lack of concentration/focus and low energy levels are one of the most common things after quitting weed, its because of lowered levels of dopamine in your system (Which weed used to give). I would recommend exercising and a healthy diet to get some motivation up. it may take a few months to get back to your levels but I do not recommend going back to weed. You do not want to cause dependence on it and causing more complications when you have to quit it in the future.
ashthewarrior7

Likes Received: 58

Postby joe1029 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for the response ashthewarrior7. That was more or less my thinking. That's why I've waited 3 months before asking. I think it's now completely out of my system. I don't crave it (not that I ever really craved, but I enjoyed it), I don't even really think about it. Since I quit I did start to eat healthier (less fast food) and I've started exercising regularly; riding a bike about 15-20 miles about 5 days a week. Doesn't change or help anything. I still see a drastic difference in my level of motivation and productivity since I quit. I just don't care about the work that used to bring my joy when I was smoking. I'm not really sure how much I depended on it in the past. I could stop for a week at a time and it didn't bother me. But I just used to love getting stoned and consumed in 3d art or game development.

If you have any other suggestions I'm open to it. I was on adderall for a short time a long time ago and I know that helped my focus a ton, but I became antisocial and weird. So I'm not sure about clinical medications.
joe1029

Postby joe1029 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Another thing to note, I see no difference now than right after I quit. I've even taken on contract work that I would have enjoyed doing in the past, and I find myself constantly trailing off while trying to get things done.
joe1029

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for the further Input. I do not believe further "Stimulants" of any kind will help you on the long run. *stressing on "long run"*. Your brain has to re-wire and learn to function well. this can some times takes months to years (2-4 years are the magic numbers) but those are not all the cases. I would say 8 months and you should see a lot of motivation returning. meditation and mindfulness helps in focus levels. Your brain is right now in a "delicate state" and I strongly recommend against any stimulant unless you are facing a really severe issue. be assured that this is normal and your brain chemicals will return to normal but only if you let it.
ashthewarrior7

Likes Received: 58

Postby BullFrog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Hey Joe, definitely exercise lots and consider plant based eating (or any type of "healthy eating" lifestyle changes you are willing to make). Also consider reading motivating material or watching encouraging videos on youtube or anything, really, that will help create a more positive outlook in your thinking. Losing interest in something you have always loved could end up getting you to retreat into your head or fixating on things that you shouldn't. Thus fill your life, as best as you can, with very positive outlets and give it all time. :)
BullFrog

Likes Received: 63