PAWS social anxiety

Postby Cthompson21 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:02 am

Was just reading a post by bullfrog about fearing your symptoms makes it worse and I have to agree there. But for me the main issue is...drumroll please...social anxiety caused/made worse by PAWS. It's so bad it makes me feel physically sick sometimes. I've reached out to people on here and I'm grateful for their replies which basically said it'll get better with time. While that's true how do you cope when you're in the middle of it? I have jobs where I have to work with and lead people and it is the worst feeling thinking you're incompetent because you can't interact right socially. Mainly I get intrusive thoughts that I'm being creepy talking to people/not good enough or smart enough to talk to someone/that people think what im saying is stupid. Or people hate me, they see right through me that I'm trying to fake it and I'm failing. What to do about this? Time will pass I know and it'll get better but if anyone out there can be kind enough to share their wisdom or just give me a pep talk I'm all ears. Have a great day everyone.
Cthompson21

Likes Received: 20

Postby dirtySanchez » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 am

I know where are you coming from. I decided to leave my job (web design & social media agency) when I was in month 3 since I couldn't be around people or do any mental activities. I searched for a simple warehouse job where I could move freely and have minimum interaction with people. After 9 months I am gaining my old self back. I have two job interviews next week, I am really looking forward to it since my current job in the warehouse is starting to look boring and pathetic (ha, I came a long way since month 3)

If you can't leave your current job - then my suggestion is that you start meditating, doing yoga and bioenergetics before work (move your brainwaves into an alpha state) and keep in mind that things will get better! 100%!

Wising you the best. Take care.
dirtySanchez

Likes Received: 7

Postby Astro413 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Cthompson I agree with dirty sanchez I’m 3 months in and the social anxiety has started to fade for me at least. I find myself interacting easier with classmates and people in general on campus which is something I never did when I was smoking which really gave me the social anxiety.. now if I could just get rid of this damn depression I’d be close to 100%... keep chugging on.
Astro413

Likes Received: 17

Postby BullFrog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm so sorry Cthompson that you have to deal with this crap. Keep fighting like you are.

@Astro, glad to hear your social anxiety is lessening! That is great, man!

And after going through all of this and reading up on all of the stories from everyone here, doesn't this make everyone much more compassionate and sympathetic towards mental health issues??? I know for me it certainly has!
BullFrog

Likes Received: 36

Postby thegreatdane » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 pm

I know exactly what you feel. 8 months in and social anxiety has been high at all times. Its like i cant connect with people, and i always think that they feel im weird or stupid or worth less than them. Conversation is not natural, i overthink everything. I know it will get back eventually. I truly believe most of it is a chemical imbalance caused by weed addiction. Dopamine have been proven to control social anxiety. It will get better
thegreatdane

Likes Received: 9

Postby Cthompson21 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks everybody. Keeping on keeping on but it's so hard most days. Sanchez i really don't want to leave my jobs because I've worked so hard to get where I am but if it doesn't get better soon a warehouse job doesn't sound like a bad idea. I guess I could work my way up again if I have to wait a year for this sh*t to pass....But I will keep meditating.

Bullfrog thanks I hope it gets better I'm sick of this crap.

Astro I'm glad you're doing a little better. 3.5 months isn't too far off for me, I hope I turn a corner soon too.

Great Dane yep that's exactly what's happening. Can't control my thoughts sometimes , they control me. Sucks.

Stay strong everyone.
Cthompson21

Postby leavepawsbehind » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 pm

I had terrible social anxiety too for about 4 months after I quit. I didn't do anything specific aside from soldier on. It should get better with time.
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 6

Postby Bagobones » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am

Cthompson21 wrote:I've reached out to people on here and I'm grateful for their replies which basically said it'll get better with time. While that's true how do you cope when you're in the middle of it? I have jobs where I have to work with and lead people and it is the worst feeling thinking you're incompetent because you can't interact right socially.

I kept marching on and did a "fake it til you make it" approach.. It was not fun but it worked. I did not get fired. I also took out as much sick leave and holiday as I could..

And yes, time is you doctor. That is correct. Trust the process, its not forever this sump you have gotten yourself into. Trust us oldtimers that keep repeating that...
Bagobones

Likes Received: 126

Postby Cthompson21 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank you guys. I'm actually having okayish days now between the bad days. I'm gonna keep pushing and staying in my work routine. Im less than a week from 2 months (how quick its gone by but how it drags at the same time!) and hopefully by 4 months I'll be even better. I don't know where I would be without this forum.
Cthompson21

Return to Addictions