Mood and Activity Diary

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:05 am

“So Dick, what is the purpose of life?”

I had that conversation with myself. Obviously there is no purpose, I scoffed. Purpose was easy as a child, but that was an illusion. That was just other people, adults, telling me what my purpose was in life. Parents, teachers, community and spiritual leaders, all giving me purpose, telling me what was right, what was wrong, when to do this, how to do that. But, who are they now!? Just people ignorant of the truth right in front of them, that life is meaningless.

When younger, the degree to which I voluntarily submitted to any purpose is irrelevant, because as a child turned teenager there was no real alternative to my apprenticeship. My faculties not yet fully formed, it was these authorities that guided and provided purpose in life. My parents would say go to school, study hard, apply for college, do onto others, etc. They directed my purpose.

When asked why, my parents responded with some version of, “Because we want the best for you.” We want! My purpose defined by what others want? Maybe when I was naive enough to believe in such nonsense, I thought.

Discovering nihilism had freed me from the chains of others trying to tell me about life’s purpose. I was no longer an innocent, naive child. I had grown into an adult with my power of reason to defend against anyone trying to claim authority of purpose! Finally, I was captain of my ship, master of my fate! I had transcended the bonds of lesser mortals, ignorant to the truth that existence is meaningless.

Armed with my superior knowledge, I could now look down on anyone ignorant enough to suggest life has a purpose. So, what next? How might I find purpose in a purposeless universe? And this became the paradox, that in transcending purpose and breaking the chains of any authority, I had become the authority. It was me! I had the responsibility to now define my purpose! Crap. Maybe I wasn’t so brilliant after all.

Thus began my journey of moving beyond nihilism.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1103

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:15 am

You're only half way there Grasshopper, wait it to you get to the point when you don't want anything from life. Thats when the fun really starts.
Mayfair

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:17 am

Like I told my therapist "being responsible most of the time doesn't bring me joy"
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:57 am

Mayfair wrote:You're only half way there Grasshopper,

I was.

And I think that is fairly normal. Most people in my opinion at some point question the purpose of life, acknowledge the philosophy of nihilism, but then move past it by either voluntarily subjugating themselves to some established purpose, or becoming the captain and develop their own path.

You seem to still be trapped by nihilism.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 am

Sure I agree.
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:28 am

Okay. So continue to suffer the pains of nihilism I guess. You clearly see what it gets you, sobbing in the shower, trolling therapists, hotlines, and forums for attention. If that is the purpose you choose for yourself, so be it.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:32 am

What's the alternative?
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 am

Two alternatives

-1- Choose a different purpose for yourself.

-2- Have others define your purpose.

Or stick to your current purpose.

-3- Cry in the shower and reject all other purposes.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 am

Then I pick number one...but I still don't know what that is.

So we are going around in circles.
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:55 am

Mayfair wrote:Then I pick number one...

No you haven’t. The evidence that you haven’t is that you are here, that we are having this conversation. Had you picked one, then you would be off fulfilling that purpose.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 am

Which is what? I don't think you understand what I mean to be honest.

You understand I don't know how to pick one?
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:01 am

Mayfair wrote: You understand I don't know how to pick one?

Which means at this point -1- is not an option for you. That path is currently closed. While you have the wisdom to become a nihilist, you have not yet gained the wisdom to not be a nihilist.

Path -1- is only available to the leader, the CEO, the captain, the explorer that cuts their way through uncharted territory. It is a path not available to the person that says, “Which way should I choose?”

Your current options are to go back to path -2- or stay on path -3-. You might not like those choices, but that is your current situation. Path -2- is apprenticeship as you learn to become the CEO, as you learn how to choose your way and get to path -1- from observing others following their purpose. Path -3-, well...you have path -3- down pretty good.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:05 am

Shrug shoulders*

There isn't anything I want so....
Mayfair

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:19 am

Well, we know that isn’t true as you have repeatedly stated and posted about your pursuit of an intimate relationship. So you do want something, but it is currently out of reach.

You want path -1-, and you want an intimate relationship, that is 2 wants, but you currently lack the ability to achieve either, which is understandably extremely frustrating and can crush motivation.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mayfair » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't want a relationship.

I'll have a think about what I want and post it here or do that,
Mayfair

PreviousNext