Is there an actual Emotional Intelligenz movement?

Postby marcus_gabler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 am

Hello,

my name is Marcus, I live in Germany.

I wonder what is being do to spread the word about EI etc.
Is there a movement or community dedicated to actively make our ideas more popular?

I developed Social, Emotional and Rational skills by myself over the years and now reached a point where I just had to start working on my own website before I bust from all those ideas wanting to go out.

I tried to find out if such community already existed but first failed. I finally LESSWRONG a few similar websites yesterday, after Spencer Greenberg of CLEARERTHINKING answered my desperate email and pointed me to "the rationalist movement".
(BTW: are there any connections between the EI and the rationalist community???)

But there hardly seems to be a lot of ambition to actually DO SOMETHING there.

So i searched on and after passing thru 6seconds finally got here.

So, again I wonder what is being done to give impact to "the cause"?

The right things to be done seem to be:

- Building a website and make "How To" videos that will spread the (boiled down and simplified) word to the widest possible audience
- Start online petitions to implement EI & rationalism into regular school education
- Ask Bill Gates for a few billions in donations
- Found a political party (OK, probably no use in the U.S., but certainly doable in Germany)

I am just thinking out loud here.

Or has this already been done and failed?

Happy to be here and anxious about feedback! :-)

Take care, Marcus.
marcus_gabler

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

marcus_gabler wrote:
But there hardly seems to be a lot of ambition to actually DO SOMETHING there.

Hi Marcus. Rationally, why do you think there is a lack of ambition to DO SOMETHING?

For instance, rationally, why has hypnosis lost such momentum since the 60’s? Why is there a lack of ambition to DO SOMETHING more with hypnosis? Apply this same rational to EI.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 998

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 am

OK, I'll try my best:
In western societies, there seems to be an overall decline of ambition to participate / engage in social movements over time.
I guess this is mostly due to the decline/absence of key drivers for change such as poverty or inequality of rights.

Now, the reason why people have no ambition to promote Hypnosis is most likely because they dont see the benefits (whether they exist or not) and / or dont even bother to see benefits because they already have filed hypnosis under IRRELEVANT or even NONSENSE.

However, I can't seem to see the analogy with EI / Rationalism / Effective Altruism.
I am sure these concepts are still gaining momentum, I just can't see why apparently nobody yet took this to the next level (ie. "to the streets").

I am currently simply evaluating whether I start the "revolution" all by myself or there are others i can join.
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:16 am

marcus_gabler wrote: because they already have filed hypnosis under IRRELEVANT or even NONSENSE.

I am currently simply evaluating whether I start the "revolution" all by myself or there are others i can join.

The above is your battle. There are a significant number of people that do find value in hypnosis. People find value in hypnosis, even as the mainstream has filed it away as irrelevant or nonsense. To start a “revolution” and bring hypnosis to masses requires challenging and making a case for the relevance of hypnosis.

Emotional intelligence faces the same challenge. EI had it’s moment in the sun and the masses have determined it is largely irrelevant in their lives if not just nonsense. That doesn’t make it true. EI might have huge benefits, but then why is a “revolution” even required? If it were true that EI was something of such benefit, the masses would not need to revolt to obtain it, because they would be crying out for it. EI is not some limited resource like water/oil/food.

In other words, you can’t form a revolution around a concept the masses see no real benefit in fighting for. The cost of investing in EI vs. the benefits is perceived by most as neglible.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby marcus_gabler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:06 am

In other words, you can’t form a revolution around a concept the masses see no real benefit in fighting for. The cost of investing in EI vs. the benefits is perceived by most as neglible.

Well, since we all know there ARE benefits, they key is making the masses see them. :-)
And it's not like I don't have a clue here...
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:35 am

marcus_gabler wrote:Well, since we all know there ARE benefits, they key is making the masses see them. :-)
And it's not like I don't have a clue here...

And how do you...or anyone else for that matter go about getting the masses to adopt these benefits?

A book you might enjoy is “Diffusion of Innovations” by Everett Rogers. Consider EI an innovative idea with benefits you wish to share. How does an innovation find it’s way from obscurity into mass adoption?

1- the innovation
2 - adopters
3 - communication channels
4 - time
5 - the social system

A problem with any of the above and your concept of EI will struggle to be diffused or effectively spread to the masses.

Now go specifically to the “innovation”. What makes people buy one mouse trap over another? What makes a person see a new product, service, or idea as innovative to the point they recognize the old way of doing things is no longer the correct way?

1- comparative advantage
2 - complexity (ease of adoption)
3 - compatibility
4 - triability/testability
5 - visibility

Where are the potential challenges for EI? Might EI have benefits for specific adopters? For instance, trying to promote EI in a top down, authoritarian structure and the “social system” as well as “comparative advantage” over using brute force to get what you want might make it a real challenge. On the other hand, introduce EI into an organization with a flat structure and the social system might embrace the innovation as very helpful and revolutionary.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby marcus_gabler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 pm

While I am not familiar with individual theories, I am certainly anticipating all this.

I am looking for supporting in what to do best - not in how hard it may be :-).

I need day to day examples / use cases that everybody knows.
I am building of a collection of such examples such as:
- Why do get frustrated over overtly sexual come ons on tinder, but not over sex email spam - while both are but lines of text?
- Do you really think dophins are smiling? And even if not, still cant help finding them cute?
- Do you remember you were so hot for that new cellphone, but now it already bores you?
- Why are do so many people believe in god without any proof while at the same time so many dont beleive in climate change with a lot of evidence?
- Why is experience one of the highest virtues everywhere - except for love, sex and relationships?
- Did you ever click on that "get rich quick" or "these girls near you need sex now" spam even though you kinda knew it was nonsense?
- Do you honk at other drivers but hate being honked at?
- You hate being stalked? Dont you think others hate being ghosted? (ie. quit communicating)
the list is endless, and I will eventually find even better examples, that many people can identify with.

It might interest you that EI and evolutionary psychology already are largely embraced by one certain community for about 15 years: The Pick Up Artist community.
Obviously, the suffer pressure worked wonders there (on a small scale though).
There is much more suffering out there, and thats were people need to be picked up...

BTW, this not just about EI but also
- Ratinalism (as in lesswrong com)
- Effective Altruism
- Atheism

One job here is also to make all these (surprisingly separated groups) join forces.
The EA folks seam to be "Do Gooders"
The Rationalists apparently are pretty nerdy
The Atheists know they dont believe in god, but hardly why and what for
The EI community seems to be mostly involved in healing individuals

I'll be back... :-)
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 am

marcus_gabler wrote:
I am looking for supporting in what to do best - not in how hard it may be :-).

One job here is also to make all these (surprisingly separated groups) join forces.

You interpreted my response as pointing out how hard it may be? You did not see the response as support in what to do best?

My response was a recipe for success. If you want EI to be delivered to the masses, my response outlined a process for success backed by 40 years of research on the diffusion of innovation. If you want separate groups to join forces, I handed you a proven formula.

You’re welcome.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby quietvoice » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 am

Be the change you want to see in the world.

How adept are you at emotional intelligence? Get yourself grounded in the fundamental principles, where they are actually so much a part of you that you hardly have to think about it. Once you've got that going for you, and you become a part of several small or large communities where others can see for themselves how your way of being may be of benefit, they may want to learn from you directly or indirectly what it is you know and how to do it for themselves. Let yourself be led from your inner resources on how to go about helping them out.
quietvoice

Likes Received: 211