The power of small daily habits

Postby cleanofgreen » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:16 am

Hi all,
I'm reading a great book at the moment called the Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. It's about how making small easy to do changes in your life daily can make a massive difference in your life. It's amazing how such a simple concept can be overlooked by the majority for most of our lives. As he says all the greats in life weren't born great, they worked steadily towards greatness day by day and watched as their efforts compounded over time.

I think its the same with giving up a weed addiction, it starts off so slow, you don't think anything good is coming from it but the benefits are hidden at first, like when you where a kid and you plant a seed and you keep looking at the pot every day looking for the flower that's not there, but after a while the first signs of life emerge, pushing through the confines of the soil and growing steadily and slowly each and every day. Before you know it, your looking at the flower in full bloom.

As Jeff says it's easier to kick a bad habit if you replace it with a good one, so pick some healthy habit to replace it with like, exercise, meditation, reading, sport, music, learning a new language etc.

It’s tough to get rid of the habit you don’t want by facing it head on. The way
to accomplish it is to replace the unwanted habit with another habit that you do
want. And creating new and better habits, ones that empower and serve you, is
something you know how to do. You do it the same way you built any habit you
have: one step at a time. Baby steps.
-----The Slight Edge.

The results will come, you just have to keep making the right choices each day.
Good luck and stay strong.
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 148

Postby Bagobones » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 pm

I practise that and its really powerfull.. I have not read this particular book, but the message is all over the place. Reddit has its nozerodays and other subreddits for example. Its many youtube videos about it.

When I quit, I was struck hard by brainfog. I felt stupid, like my IQ had dropped hard.. It was quite insnane. So I started with Duolingo after researching brainfog and how to combat it. That app is based out of the 15 minutes a day idea. I pretty randomly picked Spanish. I just came home from a trip to Hounduras in Central America where I spent my days only speaking Spanish. Holy sh**! That place took the expression "thuglife" to a new level. The amount of gangs there was insane.. It was sad to see, but also very interesting for me working with what I do. And to get to communicate with them in their own language was very interesting. I have never seen so much cocaine in my life, or so many guns outside of warzones.. hehehe.. I thought the Philippines was corrupt. DAMN. That was Africa on a bad day corruption. This time in 2016 I could hardly understand my own language, and now roughly 27 months later I easly comunicated with fast speaking people (spanish is one of the fastest languages in the world) talking with heavy slang and dialect compared to Spain..
Right now I am doing the same with flipping an apartment I live in at the moment. Ill give it to one of my kids when I am finished with it.. The benefit is that I have hardly noticed that I have almost totally renovated the place.. 30 minutes a day during the last year..
Meditation also started like that for me. 10 minutes a day with videos on youtube. My first benefit I felt strongly was that when my phone made a noise, I was not dropping what I was doing to check it. I stayed on task. Up until this very day I meditate every day, and the benefits are supernice. Much more powerful than I ever imagined when I started..

But most importantly it replaced my weed adicction. Got my brain busy with other things that turned into much heathier habbits and coping skills...

Anyhow, rambling..

One thing I have noticed in the selfhelp books and its practicioners of it, is to not get addictied to always reading and watching the material, but also doing.. In many ways, if you have read one of them you have read them all. The hard part like anything else is actually doing, not reading and researching.
It comes in waves with new names now and then. Like NLP that became big in the late 80s and early 90s, by sales and marketing people.. I also find that these ideas is taken from the psychology field, so if you want to go deep in this you will end up with the psychology books and that fields great people.. Its basicaly small bits and pieces taken from those books and written in a much more understandable language, renamed and sold as something new and revolutionary..

Not really about the idea of 15 minutes a day. But since this is an addiction forum I recommend the work of Canadian physician Gabor Maté.. Here is his classic TED talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cYcSak6nE&t=85s

Gabor Maté on weed adiction and legalization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2R3_728Xxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQ28WZ0TdQ

Hope your doing good Clean.. Keep being inspiering. You inspired me a lot. Thank you for that..
Bagobones

Likes Received: 140

Postby cleanofgreen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Hey Bagobones,

Great to hear from you old friend.Your stories kept me going in the early days, so thank you too.

You do seem to pick the crazy places to go to, and I have to admire your adventure streak. That's mad that you renovated the whole apartment in 30 mins a day over a year, just shows that if you keep chipping away little by little you'll get there.

One thing I have noticed in the selfhelp books and its practicioners of it, is to not get addictied to always reading and watching the material, but also doing.. In many ways, if you have read one of them you have read them all. The hard part like anything else is actually doing, not reading and researching.

Yep must admit I've fell into that trap a few times and now am starting the doing part.

Best of luck on your adventures and hope you get that Tesla soon :wink:
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 148