Cold Showers for PAWS?

Postby BullFrog » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm

I must confess that I recall someone in this forum mentioning cold showers (maybe clean4green??). So I can't take all the credit for the suggestion. Having said that, I highly recommend trying cold showers out for at least a week to see what you all think. In terms of fatigue and lethargy, cold showers have proven to be a GREAT help for myself. It really gives me a massive boost of energy, helps to fight my dizzy/buzzy/fogginess I often feel in my head and gives me a shot of motivation. Something to try out for sure! (There has been some claims that it also helps to fight depression).

Has anyone else tried cold showers yet for helping with PAWS?
BullFrog

Likes Received: 62

Postby InkChalk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Cold Showers are great, i'm glad you re-mentioned it!!
Haven't done one in a long time. I will do one tonight.

I do normal hot shower to wash, then before i get out ~40 seconds cold, while a spin around trying to stay calm and collected. Do you do whole shower cold?

I first came across cold showers when i was getting cold/flu's a lot, and they give a good boost.
You can also take cold showers to the next level by looking into the Wim Hof Method. (There's some really good animated videos on youtube describing it)
InkChalk

Likes Received: 16

Postby BullFrog » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Ink, nice to meet you and thanks for commenting.

I actually go full on into the cold. However, many people do what you did and start off warm. However, I will say that across the board it is mentioned to be under the cold water for 5 minutes. Apparently that time frame is the ideal amount to receive the maximum benefits. So warm up if you must and then try and have a song playing in the background to help keep you motivated while staying in for 5 minutes. Granted, after 1 minute it isn't even really cold anymore. Your body adjusts and it just feels like "cool" water. Rather refreshing I say.

(I'll look up the Wim Hof Method).
BullFrog

Likes Received: 62

Postby ashthewarrior7 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:59 am

On a holiday, try Epsom salt, scrub a generous amount on your soaked skin and leave for 15 min, or just add 3-4 handfuls in the tub. Works with warm water too.
ashthewarrior7

Likes Received: 50

Postby cleanofgreen » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Yep Cold showers are awesome, many many benefits. Being doing them for a couple of months now every day after exercise, have a warm one first then turn it all the way down for the last 2 minutes. It will boost your will power like nothing else and you will find your self doing other things you thought you would never be able to do.

As mentioned above look up the Whim Hoff method, I just do the breathing while having the warm shower just before going to cold, I think that makes it easier some how.

Good Luck and stay strong.
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 161