New stronger weed a good thing ?

Postby cleanofgreen » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

I was just reading a few posts and some one was talking about the new strains of stronger weed and how people should wise up to it not being addictive and now that its legal in a lot of places its only going to get worse. I thought back to my 24 years of smoking and came to realize that the stronger weed might be a good thing.

Let me explain, so I pissed away the first 18 years of my weed use using medium grade weed, although still strong by any standards I could still go about my days work and social life without much problems. It's only when I started using high grade > 20% thc weed that my world started to fall apart. And it was only when my world started to fall apart that I realized that I had a big problem and I had to quit.

If I had started using high grade > 20% thc weed earlier on then I would have saved my self 18 years of pissing away my life and would only have spent a few years in my mind created weed utopia.

So maybe it's a good thing, these legal weed stores selling high grade weed so the people using it will realize fairly quickly that there addicted and have to give up because of how bad it's affecting their lives. The plus being that you hit rock bottom quickly like heroin or meth and don't loose so much of your life, smoking and coasting along as if nothing is wrong.

So is strong weed a good thing as young people will snap out of it much quicker.?
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 161

Postby dennisg787 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 pm

you are 100% right about that.
i was smoking for 8 years medium grade weed and the last 4 was (skunk) high grade weed and it ruined my life.
now im something more than 7 months clean but still is hard with paws.when i first quit was asking people who already have quit and noone said anything about the symptoms i was getting,everyone was feeling normal.
im still having depression anxiety no feeling and brainfog and my sleep still no good
dennisg787

Likes Received: 9

Postby cleanofgreen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 am

Don't worry dennisg at 7 months your well on the way to recovery. You will recover, it just takes a long time. The stronger the stuff you were abusing and the longer you abused it usually determines how long the recovery process takes.

when i first quit was asking people who already have quit and noone said anything about the symptoms i was getting,everyone was feeling normal.
im still having depression anxiety no feeling and brainfog and my sleep still no good

It's like an alcoholic asking some moderate or social drinkers if they have a hard time giving it up and wondering why they don't and he does. I wonder if those people who you asked that had quit were true addicts like us here, did their lives revolve around it, were they smoking daily multiple times a day, would they get anxious if they were running out etc. etc. I think you have to look at weed addiction like you look at alcoholism, I know they are two different things but both work similarly. For example when I gave up weed I also gave up alcohol, giving up drinking was very easy for me compared to weed even though I was still what you consider a person who drank a lot. The statistics for getting addicted to alcohol are around 10% of people but I think this applies across the board for most drugs, so 10% of people who smoke weed for long enough will become addicted also.

If your on this forum you're more than likely an addict to weed and in the minority 10% so there is no point comparing yourself to the other 90%.

Good luck on your journey, it may be hard but you'll come out the other side a better, stronger person.
Stay strong.
cleanofgreen

Postby tokeless » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... x-berenson

Prohibition is the catalyst for harm. Profit driven Industries don't help like the mass production and product diversification we see in the US. What ever happened to the schizoid research they battered us with for decades? Oh yeah, money trumped it.
tokeless

Likes Received: 237

Postby cleanofgreen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am

Tokeless interesting read.

There's no question that it should be legal, it wasn't legal in my country when I started and still is illegal but I still had as much as I wanted every day. It should just have a warning with it, that it's not some harmless herb you can take as much or as often as you want. It should be made clear that like alcohol it will cause problems for around 10% of users.

As he say's in the article "Just tell the truth"
cleanofgreen

Postby tokeless » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 am

It should just have a warning with it, that it's not some harmless herb you can take as much or as often as you want.

Agree, but in fairness you can't put warnings on illegal products. In Amsterdam they have leaflets or posters advising around weed use and even though it's more for tourist use or first time users they advise breaks in use and the health risks. Prohibition hides the truth.
tokeless

Postby cleanofgreen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:06 pm

True you can't put a warning on illegal drugs, but what I meant was that the general public need to be educated to the fact that it's not just a harmless herb that you can use as much and as often as you want like for instance using before work. If you use it before work without a medical reason then it should be viewed exactly like it would if you need to drink before work.The culture around weed seems to think that this wake and bake attitude is perfectly fine whereas if you look at alcohol everybody knows that this is bad news.
Or if you need to smoke up first thing when you get back from work and continue all the way till bed time every day of the week -- you got a big problem.

I think it's just a waiting game now as more a more countries legalize and more a more people have access to potent weed at their doorsteps. It will all come out in the open as more people realize they have a problem and hit rock bottom. Just a shame that all those new users will have to find out the hard way. At least if the begin using the potent stuff fast, as inevitably the will then they will also hit rock bottom fast and not wast a large portion of their life in a mind created weed utopia.

As lefttheleaf posted in another thread, a quote by John McAfee even though I don't think he's a great role model, he sure hit the nail on the head with this one, though I wouldn't recommend switching to heroin as you won't OD on weed.

“Marijuana is the drug of illusion. It creates the illusion that you’re thinking great thoughts and doing great things while you’re sitting on the sofa and growing a beard. Give it up for heroin. You’ll hit rock bottom faster and pick yourself up sooner.” 
cleanofgreen

Postby tokeless » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm not sure it's that linear myself. All cigarette smokers don't get cancer so not all stoners will have problems with using weed. I was a wake and bake when it fitted in with my life or routine. I decided to stop because it got very samey and I noticed I was becoming more focused on finding times to smoke but I think other factors contributed to that than the actual drug itself. I smoked the same way throughout my career and am successful and well qualified in it, so I don't think it negatively effected me but that's me. I didn't have horrible withdrawals either and certainly no PAWS.. I do get the harm angle but many don't get that so as I say it's not always cause and effect.. At least in my opinion and experience.
tokeless

Postby cleanofgreen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Fair enough, we're all different I suppose, either I'm the exception or you are. I did say that it is 10% who will have a problem so I'm obviously chatting with one of the 90% who don't have a problem with it now. Ironically exactly what I told dennisg above that he was doing when speaking to friends who gave up and had no problems :oops:
cleanofgreen