Giving closure

Postby mtarcia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 am

I spent some years working in NYC (which I loved) teaching high school (which I hated). After much thought I decided to come back to my home country to do some thing different.

Things did not turn out the way I planned, and I ended up teaching in my home country earning much less and without the excitement of the city.

Teaching now does not seem as unbearable as I recall at that time and I can't stop thinking why I quit my job in NYC.

I've been in cognitive-behavioral therapy for years and still experience that feeling.

Why can't I give closure to this idea?
mtarcia

Likes Received: 0

Postby Candid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am

Why would you want to? It seems you regret leaving NYC and simply need to go back there.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 346

Postby mtarcia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 am

@Candid Thanks. The problem is that the teacher exchange program is closed now, and even if it was open nothing guarantees that I would not experience the same level of anxiety that made me quit in the past. This is what is driving me crazy: regretting my decision while at the same time knowing that it was the right thing to do.
mtarcia

Likes Received: 0

Postby Candid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am

I seem to have misunderstood your first post.

I'm a veteran of going back to where I was happier, and I've realised there's no such place. What we look for is the former self for whom circumstances were (or are now perceived as) better. The only 'cure' is to be thankful for what we have right now... a tough call if we're harbouring regrets of any kind.

There are pills for anxiety, although I wouldn't recommend any of them. I hope your therapy will be helpful to you.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 346

Return to Psychology