I'm having deep trouble making use of information I learn

Postby LeftmontRimose92 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:43 am

Hello to everyone on this forum! I'm posting here because of a personal issue I am having grave trouble with, and I want to know if one or more of you has some information/solutions for me:

I process information very easily. Beginning more than five years ago, I have found and made use of a personal method to read, take notes on, and understand what I read, whether it be news or books. I make general use of text underlining and the text-highlighting/note-taking site Diigo, in order to easily organize, process and analyze information.

Not only has this worked extremely well, but it's also what I'm passionate about (that being learning new things and connecting them with the larger world). An offshoot: For years, I've wanted to do some kind of political work, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a huge reason why.

For more than five years this worked brilliantly—until I decided, this year, to build my debating skills.

Near the beginning of this year I realized that, for all the reading I do, I don't often argue with others–whether online or in real life–about what I know and what I believe. So I decided to try and up my skills in that department, starting by debating random folks on Twitter who have opinions that aren't mine.

So I started doing so—and quickly realized something was wrong. It didn't take me long to realize (or seemingly realize) what. Almost whatever I was debating, whatever idea I'd internally considered along other ideas and decided it was best, it was as if no thinking had gone into it at all. I found myself unable to defend my ideas. And what made it especially unusual was that, after I'd repeatedly considered the opposing argument, and still knew mine to be superior, it felt as though my brain wasn't able to give my argument any personal power.

Perhaps one would say, “Well, maybe your ideas are wrong” - but given that some of these arguments involve my pointing to basic facts to support myself, or giving basic factual evidence to support my claims (the equivalent, perhaps, of arguing the results of a simple mathematical equation) I truly believe this not to be the case.

No, what eventually became clear, seemingly, was that the part of my brain that Analyzes Information, and the part of my brain that Debates Information feel like two far-distant areas, parts that have nothing to do with each other and don't have anything in common. The only way I can describe it (and I don't even know if the problem is this severe) is: Imagine you're trying to do something that is antithetical to your nature, and see how you feel after continually trying to do that.

I try to debate a topic, and then feel as if the information I've gathered isn't “me,” isn't part of me, is something else that isn't me..The passionate part of my brain that analyzes information isn't active, it's somewhere else, it's of no help - and the more I try to do this action, the more that previous ability to absorb information floats away.

And, from the bottom of me, I don't understand why.

I'm posting here because I imagine a psychology forum might have some information about this kind of topic, and want to know anything I don't know about this problem/solutions from those who might. Anything you all might know, I would be more than grateful to learn.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
LeftmontRimose92

Likes Received: 1

Postby michelle27 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:29 am

Hello! I was just scrolling through and saw that you posted this. I have similar issues with this and don't really know why this happens. I feel like I have the right answers but then can't really back it up, yet still believing I am right. When I read your post, even though I do the same thing, I was thinking from an outsiders point of view. I was thinking that maybe we aren't always right. I know, personally, that I tend to think I am usually correct about things when I may not be. This makes me think back to when I was younger and people would always say to listen more than speak, and maybe that is something we should still think about. I used to be better at it when I was younger, but lately it seems like I haven't been that way.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little bit and I'm new to the forum so hope to hear more from you! This was an interesting approach to a psychology forum and I like looking at things from a different perspective.
michelle27

Likes Received: 0

Postby Candid » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:07 am

Interesting.

New member Michelle aged 27 immediately 'likes' and responds to a post by new member LeftmontRimose born in 1992, who has the same 'problem'. Hardly surprising, is it?
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 349

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:19 am

Pure coincidence.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1068