Question About Stress

Postby needtorest » Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

As most of the GAD sufferers I need some reassurance.

Lately I've been dealing a lot of stress and anger issues. Recently I noticed whenever I got mad my heart flutters immediately, also whenever I got sad or somehow fearful.. Seems like my heart is on overdrive.

I sleep well, no bad habits, no smoking, no coffee no drinking, no nothing.. Not taking any medications.

1. What is behind my over "over-driven" heart? Adrenaline?

2. As I know Adrenaline causing PVCs. When I got my first and only panic attack (almost 10 years ago) despite me being very calm my heart was triple beating and it was literally was someone was punching a sandbag. This did last 3 days non stop lowering the intensity gradually. What happened to me at this point? I was angry and my head started to hurt. While I was trying to relax my heart was going crazy. Anyone else experienced this?

My fears are lasted for sometime but at beginning I discovered my OCD. Everything slowly faded in around 4-5 years. I am guessing the my life has changed on my favor so I had less stress.

But again 3 years ago when I was fasting I noticed PVCs. These are low blood sugar as I know and hunger. As soon as I eat 30 minutes after they disappear.

Now It is almost "UP TO ME" to play with my heart. I got mad there goes flutters, I just have to think about something stressful and again flutters. It wasnt like this before.

So my understanding is my body is in overdrive because of extreme stress? And my Adrenaline and stress hormones are free floating in my blood? I know there is no immediate cure since it took 5 years to fade the first one.

any thoughts?
needtorest

Likes Received: 0

Postby James_Lee » Tue May 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello. First of all, the best thing is of course to see a doctor, for reassurance. But let me first say, you refer to heart palpitations as "PVCs". Do you know for a fact these are PVCs? I thought the same way and experienced common palpitations, but when I wore a holter monitor and recorded these flutters, the computer did not identify any abnormal heartbeat, PVC or PAC. In fact, over 48 hours of having a monitor and recording many cases of what I thought were palpitations, it turned out that I only had 1 PVC. Just 1 PVC in 48 hours. And this PVC occured when I was sleeping, so I did not even notice it. So, I am not convinced that all your palpitations are caused by PVCs. The general rule of thumb is that if your heart is structurally and electrically normal, the palpitations are harmless. So even a quick ECG test can usually identify any problems which would be concerning. Just a 20 second ECG test should be enough to rule out a serious problem in a young person. I had very terrible palpitations and heart fluttering, which I thought pointed to something. I had an ECG and Echocardiogram done, but I still was not reassured. Then they gave me a holter monitor and I recorded several heart flutters, but they did not register anything. I had a follow up ECG done, and once again it came back normal, and I will have another one in less than 2 weeks. Basically, for the peace of mind, it is best to get it checked out. But, judging from how real my palpitations were and how many times I experienced them (I still do), and the test revealed nothing abnormal, I suspect your case will be the same way. Most likely your ECG will come back normal. ECG is a very simple test and takes about 30 seconds usually. Normal ECG in and of itself, in a young person who has not fainted before, already almost certainly rules out any serious structural or electrical heart defect. Hope that helps
James_Lee

Likes Received: 1

Postby needtorest » Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 pm

James_Lee wrote:Hello. First of all, the best thing is of course to see a doctor, for reassurance. But let me first say, you refer to heart palpitations as "PVCs". Do you know for a fact these are PVCs? I thought the same way and experienced common palpitations, but when I wore a holter monitor and recorded these flutters, the computer did not identify any abnormal heartbeat, PVC or PAC. In fact, over 48 hours of having a monitor and recording many cases of what I thought were palpitations, it turned out that I only had 1 PVC. Just 1 PVC in 48 hours. And this PVC occured when I was sleeping, so I did not even notice it. So, I am not convinced that all your palpitations are caused by PVCs. The general rule of thumb is that if your heart is structurally and electrically normal, the palpitations are harmless. So even a quick ECG test can usually identify any problems which would be concerning. Just a 20 second ECG test should be enough to rule out a serious problem in a young person. I had very terrible palpitations and heart fluttering, which I thought pointed to something. I had an ECG and Echocardiogram done, but I still was not reassured. Then they gave me a holter monitor and I recorded several heart flutters, but they did not register anything. I had a follow up ECG done, and once again it came back normal, and I will have another one in less than 2 weeks. Basically, for the peace of mind, it is best to get it checked out. But, judging from how real my palpitations were and how many times I experienced them (I still do), and the test revealed nothing abnormal, I suspect your case will be the same way. Most likely your ECG will come back normal. ECG is a very simple test and takes about 30 seconds usually. Normal ECG in and of itself, in a young person who has not fainted before, already almost certainly rules out any serious structural or electrical heart defect. Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, I did the ECG couple of times and came out normal. I believe my "flutterings" are completely related to my emotional stress since even this moment I feel anxious to reply to you and I feel them thumping. They are not severe or they did not cause to faint or anything but just plain scary.
needtorest

Postby James_Lee » Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 pm

needtorest wrote:
James_Lee wrote:Hello. First of all, the best thing is of course to see a doctor, for reassurance. But let me first say, you refer to heart palpitations as "PVCs". Do you know for a fact these are PVCs? I thought the same way and experienced common palpitations, but when I wore a holter monitor and recorded these flutters, the computer did not identify any abnormal heartbeat, PVC or PAC. In fact, over 48 hours of having a monitor and recording many cases of what I thought were palpitations, it turned out that I only had 1 PVC. Just 1 PVC in 48 hours. And this PVC occured when I was sleeping, so I did not even notice it. So, I am not convinced that all your palpitations are caused by PVCs. The general rule of thumb is that if your heart is structurally and electrically normal, the palpitations are harmless. So even a quick ECG test can usually identify any problems which would be concerning. Just a 20 second ECG test should be enough to rule out a serious problem in a young person. I had very terrible palpitations and heart fluttering, which I thought pointed to something. I had an ECG and Echocardiogram done, but I still was not reassured. Then they gave me a holter monitor and I recorded several heart flutters, but they did not register anything. I had a follow up ECG done, and once again it came back normal, and I will have another one in less than 2 weeks. Basically, for the peace of mind, it is best to get it checked out. But, judging from how real my palpitations were and how many times I experienced them (I still do), and the test revealed nothing abnormal, I suspect your case will be the same way. Most likely your ECG will come back normal. ECG is a very simple test and takes about 30 seconds usually. Normal ECG in and of itself, in a young person who has not fainted before, already almost certainly rules out any serious structural or electrical heart defect. Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, I did the ECG couple of times and came out normal. I believe my "flutterings" are completely related to my emotional stress since even this moment I feel anxious to reply to you and I feel them thumping. They are not severe or they did not cause to faint or anything but just plain scary.

Why did you call these fluttering and thumping feelings "PVCs"? Do you know they are PVCs? PVCs CAN cause fluttering, but they are not the only cause. Fluttering is a sensation, PVC is a minor abnormal heartbeat that frequently happens in a normal heart. So generally, if the ECG was done, then that suggests that there is no problem with the heart and these feelings are not dangerous. I mean, usually that is what it means.
James_Lee

Postby byronFuh » Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Well Pain and stress have a similar effect on the body. Our heart rate and blood pressure rise, breathing becomes fast and shallow, and our muscles tighten.
byronFuh

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 am

needtorest wrote:So my understanding is my body is in overdrive because of extreme stress? And my Adrenaline and stress hormones are free floating in my blood? I know there is no immediate cure since it took 5 years to fade the first one.

any thoughts?

Did you try sports?
marcus_gabler

Return to Psychology