past events defining futures

Postby RedPlus95 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:52 am

I'm just going to get straight to my question, can past childhood experiences effect how we perceive the world? I think almost everyone would say yes for obvious reasons but I think it goes a lot deeper. So for instance, the other day I out drinking with a few friends after going to the movies and one of the guys I was with was talking to me about high school and some of the things that had happened to him. After he went on and finished what he was saying I remembered something similar that happened to me. Fast forward to the following evening, and I started thinking about all of the conversations I had the previous night, including my friends high school story.

I related quite well to the story because I experienced something similar. I remember the exact feelings I had at the time, what was going through my mind and what the atmosphere was like. Now here is the part I find quite strange. I have a lot of these experiences where I am able to single out all of these small little details and almost go back in time to when it was happening. I think these moments have defined how I live my life today. I would say these events are both good and bad, 50% were good and the other remaining half were not so good.

I'm not sure how to word this properly without sounding crazy but I think i'm able to hold on to those memories so vividly is because I'm living in the past, you know what I mean. Even though there are some good memories I had it was a long time ago and I for sure know I'm not the same person I was back then. I think it would be worth having a little think about some of these. Is there a term for this? It is quite interesting to think about.

Thanks,
Maria
RedPlus95

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon May 13, 2019 5:54 am

RedPlus95 wrote: can past childhood experiences effect how we perceive the world?

Absolutely. My one caution is that what we believe are vivid or entirely accurate recollections of previous events are most often inaccurate.

Without going into exhaustive detail about the research, memories change over time. In fact, each time you recall a memory it can change. Certain concrete details might stay constant, but many aspects of a given memory will be either entirely inaccurate or even false. And the interesting thing is that we are entirely unaware that our memory has changed.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1068