Self Esteem vs. Self Confidence - An uncommon approach

Postby quietvoice » Sat May 18, 2019 12:47 am

marcus_gabler wrote:But we are already now going around in circles if you aren't considering my content and stick all to formal issues, that I again am aware of but are simply another story to me right now.

marcus_gabler wrote:If you would focus on my content rather than on my background or style, you will hopefully see that what I am writing makes sense. Or if not, tear THAT apart - instead of judging my book by the cover.

If you cannot express your ideas in a clear and concise manner, how do you expect your reader to properly grasp, digest and comment upon your content?

marcus_gabler wrote:My subject is what i call emotional climate change.

What is your view on the cause of emotion(s)?
quietvoice

Likes Received: 229

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat May 18, 2019 5:57 am

marcus_gabler wrote:My subject is what i call emotional climate change.

What is your view on the cause of emotion(s)?[/quote]

I gave many hints about that above.
marcus_gabler

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat May 18, 2019 7:06 am

marcus_gabler wrote:
Candid wrote:
But you are neither a journalist nor an academic.

True. I am actually best described as an activist. So what?
Apart from not having authoritative proof, that doesn't mean my stuff is not worth to be considered or even wrong.

So you’re a self described activist on the subject of “emotional climate change” and other such things. Terrific. To each their own. I agree that there is no need for your opinions on a topic be demonstrated as correct or be supported by authoritative proof in order to be worthy of consideration. This holds true whether you are sharing your opinion about “climatic emotional disentanglement” or how high dragons can fly in the ethereal planes of Zanos.

Ultimately, whatever concept or issue you are activating for, success will hinge on getting others to agree and support the opinions you offer. Otherwise, you will remain a general without an army, a blogger without an audience.

From the feedback in here, hopefully at least some of it will help make your website/personal blog more successful. Let us know how it goes.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081

Postby Candid » Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 am

Climate change: a global phenomenon headed in one direction
Emotion: an individual, personal matter subject to frequent change of direction

Maybe you need a more appropriate name, for starters?
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 358

Postby quietvoice » Sat May 18, 2019 11:07 am

marcus_gabler wrote:
quietvoice wrote:What is your view on the cause of emotion(s)?

I gave many hints about that above.

I didn't ask for hints. I asked a direct question. I would like a direct answer. Based on the hints to which you refer, I do not believe that you know from where or from what source an emotion originates.

quietvoice wrote:If you cannot express your ideas in a clear and concise manner, how do you expect your reader to properly grasp, digest and comment upon your content?
quietvoice

Postby quietvoice » Sat May 18, 2019 12:13 pm

But harming others sadly is actually the most impactful LSE behaviour! Humiliating, discrediting or dominating others are LSE driven attempts to compensate deficits. Without being able to really look inside such minds, it figures that such person's own value is perceived as increased in relation to the low/lowered value of their counterparts/victims.

Interesting paragraph, I say. And I say this in the context of hurting animals. When I read it this way . . .

But harming animals sadly is actually the most impactful LSE behaviour! Humiliating, discrediting or dominating animals are LSE driven attempts to compensate deficits. Without being able to really look inside such minds, it figures that such person's own value is perceived as increased in relation to the low/lowered value of their animal counterparts/victims.

. . . I find this to be a relevant idea in the movement towards veganism. The daily ingestion of the victims (and their by-products) is a factor in the agitation that people feel; what one puts into their bodies has effects upon the mind.

Might you want to place your activist thinking behind the values of veganism (with the twist of personal emotional impacts)? Especially when one knows that the environment we all share is directly impacted more by animal agriculture than from any other cause of environmental destruction, one can see how important this issue is to every person living and their progeny.
quietvoice

Postby marcus_gabler » Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 pm

quietvoice wrote:If you cannot express your ideas in a clear and concise manner, how do you expect your reader to properly grasp, digest and comment upon your content?

Please tell me what if my content is not clear to you.
marcus_gabler

Postby marcus_gabler » Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pm

quietvoice wrote:Might you want to place your activist thinking behind the values of veganism (with the twist of personal emotional impacts)? Especially when one knows that the environment we all share is directly impacted more by animal agriculture than from any other cause of environmental destruction, one can see how important this issue is to every person living and their progeny.

Animals, just like the entire life on earth including suffers from human actions.
Bringing more empathy and rationality to people's minds is my task.
All the rest follows consequently...
marcus_gabler

Postby marcus_gabler » Mon May 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Candid wrote:I'm curious as to why you're undertaking this task.
The academics and the writers of popular self-help books have it covered, and there are loads of websites, forums and personal opinions online already.

Have what covered exactly?
The only clearly rational website I know is lesswrong.
But they are rather theoretical and have no ambition to spread the word.
Effective altruism have the right fundament, but focus on "doing good better".
Humanetech want the right thing, but deal mostly with the tech aspects.
Dan Ariely is great and did more than I would ever dream to achieve, but he is not yet (in) a movement.
I am on the same page with Spencer Greenberg (who actually helped me a lot), but like many others,
he seems to rather work on business/personal optimization.
Simon Sinek is great, but I am not sure about his rationality background.

I am puzzling together all relevant aspects and eventually aim to a broader audience.

Again, point me to anything relevant so I can connect, learn, participate.
I am here for input and networking.

Thanks.
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Tue May 21, 2019 2:20 am

marcus_gabler wrote:Again, point me to anything relevant so I can connect, learn, participate.
I am here for input and networking.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... elf-Esteem

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/el ... hology.pdf

Constantine Sedikides
University of Southampton

Connect, learn, and participate with Constantine. Send him your blog on self esteem vs self confidence.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby marcus_gabler » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Sorry for not replying earlier.
But I learned that sometimes it is better to take a deep breath...

Candid wrote:
marcus_gabler wrote:What should I google?

Your own website, presumably.

This is obviously not helping. In fact, it sounds rather discouraging.

Even under the assumptions that
- I have no clue of what I am talking about (which frankly is the overall tone I sense from you, correct me if I'm wrong)
- I am plain wrong with everything
- AND my cause it not worth being supported

at least the fact that I am believing in something, aim to make the world better and am investing time, heart and soul into something should buy me a little respect here. Actually, respect is something that I thought I never had to "buy" here in the first place. This kind of "passive aggression" (not in the sense of a disorder but as a conversational pattern) is the least I would have expected here, but then again - we are all only humans.

Or anomie.

Now we're talking. :-)

While anomie is not what I have in mind exactly, it might point in the right direction AND for sure is yet another new concept I have now learned about thanks to you.
Anomie might be one RESULT of what I mean, actually.

Is there research on how cold, shallow and emotionally empty our life's and societies are getting?

I suppose that must depend on what circles you mix in. I find most people friendly.

This is not about people in your, my or other selected cicles, and it is not about people being friendly.
It is about loss of empathy, social skills, self esteem, fulfillment etc in entire societies/populations.

I finally found at least some research on that:
see
6seconds org
state-of-the-heart-2018

However, I am still looking for an official / academic term for the decline in all things emotional.
marcus_gabler

Postby marcus_gabler » Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Let’s start with emotional degeneration. Where is the scientific research on that term? Who is a current leader in the field of ‘emotional degeneration’? Do you have a scientific study I can read by that researcher on the topic?

From the above, I can suggest ways I would approach delivering your content.

I finally found at least some research on that:
see
6seconds org
state-of-the-heart-2018
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri May 31, 2019 4:56 am

marcus_gabler wrote:I finally found at least some research on that:

Emotional intelligence is a great place to start. It is a controversial area of research that requires critical thought. Similar to other lines of work, the lines between science and pseudoscience can become blurred.

Here is a 2016 article from the fathers of Emotional Intelligence, reviewing and updating their view of the subject over the last 25 years. Note, the authors of the paper cite their work in 1990. These guys have been around quite some time.

https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewconten ... ligence%22

If you believe their work is something you find worthwhile then read up on the science and incorporate it into your blog.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Candid » Fri May 31, 2019 3:27 pm

marcus_gabler wrote:This is not about people in your, my or other selected cicles, and it is not about people being friendly.
It is about loss of empathy, social skills, self esteem, fulfillment etc in entire societies/populations.

Which entire societies/populations are you writing about? It's news to me, and I consider myself well-travelled.

I am still looking for an official / academic term for the decline in all things emotional.

There may well be a catch-all word or term for it in individuals, but when we're talking about entire civilisations I'm sure you're breaking new ground.

I'm genuinely curious to know about these "entire societies/populations" who've lost "empathy, social skills, self esteem, fulfillment etc" for a sci-fi book I'm presently engaged on.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 358

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Candid wrote:I'm genuinely curious to know about these "entire societies/populations" who've lost "empathy, social skills, self esteem, fulfillment etc".

No, you are not.

You are sarcastic and are making fun of my ideas and are ignorant to my content.
You are continuously being passive aggressive, even after I pointed you to that (which you also skipped).
Above, you are twisting my idea of societies "losing" empathy into societies who "lost" empathy, which of course I would never say. Such black and white arguing is typical behaviour of somebody who is in opposition mode.

Watch this for more about what you are doing: youtube nS9W-wlJHPA

What is your role? Are you a therapist? I doubt you would approach your clients with such prejudice in case you are.

Now I am "genuinely curious" what made you so opposed and if there is something in particular that made me lose/not win you.

Back to the topic, I am sure you know that research in psychology is a lot about statistics, about percentages, tendencies, patterns - which is the exact opposite of black and white.

This is a study that reflects one aspect of what I am saying:
psychologytoday . com/us/blog/born-love/201005/shocker-empathy-dropped-40-in-college-students-2000

Maybe you are lucky enough to live in a pleasant, rather stress free environment full of caring people. Great. I am trying to save this for you from being eroded by the less fulfilling tendencies in society.
marcus_gabler

PreviousNext