Self Esteem vs. Self Confidence - An uncommon approach

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 pm

[quote="Richard@DecisionSkills"

Let’s start with emotional degeneration. Where is the scientific research on that term? Who is a current leader in the field of ‘emotional degeneration’? Do you have a scientific study I can read by that researcher on the topic?

From the above, I can suggest ways I would approach delivering your content.[/quote]

This is another related study i found:
psychologytoday com/us/blog/born-love/201005/shocker-empathy-dropped-40-in-college-students-2000
marcus_gabler

Likes Received: 1

Postby quietvoice » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Consider this.

The diet of the American populace has been atrociously full of garbage. This would include the over-processing of foods into substances that are unrecognizable as "food"—which includes the addition of chemicals to those substances, using chemicals to raise the foods, and eating animal carcasses from beings that were generally tortured their whole lives, for starters. Babies are born to mothers with greatly compromised lymphatic systems, which is the sewer system of the body (something one probably does not hear about in the mainstream media sources). Then there's the ever-increasing unseen, and yet not without its effects, electromagnetic/radiation frequencies in the atmosphere. Let's not forget that the air we breathe is not always the freshest and purest in many places.

In other words, our bodily health has been deteriorating at a rapid pace. This has profound effect upon our mental health.

Please comment on this.
quietvoice

Likes Received: 229

Postby Candid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:54 pm

marcus_gabler wrote:
Candid wrote:I'm genuinely curious to know about these "entire societies/populations" who've lost "empathy, social skills, self esteem, fulfillment etc".

No, you are not.

You're wrong there, buddy. These days I write children's books. The present one is sci-fi, about a long-term war between two planets. One of them is like these societies of which you speak. (Very clear-cut goodies vs baddies for the younger set.) As mentioned, I'm not aware of such a society so I'm having to make it up.

even after I pointed you to that (which you also skipped).

Thanks for the character analysis, but wrong again. I searched both the terms you posted and couldn't see what relevance they had to your offerings here.

I don't believe I've twisted anything, certainly not intentionally, and your reactions to my replies here so far make me disinclined to watch a youtube that very likely would give me another clip round the ear-hole.

I doubt you would approach your clients with such prejudice in case you are.

People don't go to therapists to find out how to research a subject; they go to libraries.

I am trying to save this for you from being eroded by the less fulfilling tendencies in society.

Yes, I gathered you were on some kind of saving-the-world mission.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 358

Postby marcus_gabler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:01 pm

quietvoice wrote:
In other words, our bodily health has been deteriorating at a rapid pace. This has profound effect upon our mental health.

Please comment on this.

There are even reciprocal mechanisms.
Eating, like substance consumption releases rewarding hormones.
Less happiness makes folks eat, smoke, drink etc.

Unhealthy diet might affect mental health, and I would like to add this to my site.
Do you have any sources I can read about it?
marcus_gabler

Postby quietvoice » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:05 pm

marcus_gabler wrote:Do you have any sources I can read about it?

Quick reply:
Find "John Rose" on YouTube.
quietvoice

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:11 am

marcus_gabler wrote:This is another related study i found:
psychologytoday com/us/blog/born-love/201005/shocker-empathy-dropped-40-in-college-students-2000

Great Marcus,

It is important to note, what you linked is not the actual study, but a person taking the original study and writing about it in a way to make it interesting for the average person.

Now the question to ask yourself is what’s next? What is your next step? Will you be like the author of the link you posted? Similar to Maia Szalavitz, will you take scientific studies and write blogs that make them interesting for the average person?

Why not?

Why would you not, just like Maia Szalavitz, submit your interpretation of psychological studies to be published by www.psychologytoday.com?

One step Maia certainly took, was to read the original study. Most likely, Maia also reached out to the researchers and got their feedback on her article.

What is stopping you from being like Maia?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081

Postby marcus_gabler » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:46 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
What is stopping you from being like Maia?

Nothing is stopping me.
My website is not yet ready.
Once it goes online, I will also start publishing articles.

Meanwhile, I am posting excerpts without references to my site in order to learn about style, reception and hopefully content.

And I know it's not a study but an article, but such article provides added value and serves the purpose.

One part of the problem of emotional / social decline / erosion is that I am sure a lot of studies are out there, but they largely remain in the academic domain.
What I am trying to do is putting all the pieces together and paint the big picture.

check out my site emotionalclimatechange org to get an idea...
marcus_gabler

Postby quietvoice » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:28 am

marcus_gabler wrote:My website is not yet ready.

Meanwhile, I am posting excerpts without references to my site in order to learn about style, reception and hopefully content.

If I or anybody else can look up your website, it IS online. Everything that you have on this website IS published right now. FYI
quietvoice

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 am

marcus_gabler wrote:check out my site emotionalclimatechange org to get an idea...

Obviously some areas of the site are still under construction, but it looks good.

I’m personally not a fan of gimmicky hooks or fad site titles, especially for repurposed academic content, but my opinion is largely irrelevant. Just because it turns me off, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. I think the design, the sky is falling routine to drive fear, and the appeal to lyrics and popular quotes will tap into the emotions of a particular kind of target market.

It is a solid niche market.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby marcus_gabler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
marcus_gabler wrote:check out my site emotionalclimatechange org to get an idea...

Obviously some areas of the site are still under construction, but it looks good.

I’m personally not a fan of gimmicky hooks or fad site titles, especially for repurposed academic content, but my opinion is largely irrelevant. Just because it turns me off, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. I think the design, the sky is falling routine to drive fear, and the appeal to lyrics and popular quotes will tap into the emotions of a particular kind of target market.

It is a solid niche market.

Thanks for checking it out.

I have to find the best balance between dry/academic and catchy/appealing.
I dont wanna cause panic or the like, but some mild, sober alarmism is required/appropriate.

Any idea now what could be an academic/general term for what i call emotiona climate change?
marcus_gabler

Postby marcus_gabler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:22 pm

quietvoice wrote:
marcus_gabler wrote:My website is not yet ready.

If I or anybody else can look up your website, it IS online. Everything that you have on this website IS published right now. FYI

Why is everyone so picky here with my wording? :P

Yes, it is online, but nobody knows about it except for a few people.
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

marcus_gabler wrote:Any idea now what could be an academic/general term for what i call emotiona climate change?

Published in 2015. Read the first page, look at the keywords. There is also an email for the author.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.d ... d_Empa.pdf

Or here is 466 pages of great research in the academic text “Collective Emotions”

https://www.amazon.com/Collective-Emoti ... 381&sr=8-1
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby marcus_gabler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 am

I did some further research.

I found Cirilo Toro Vargas, who distinguishes between 4 levels of SE, based on his score model of 40-160:
- 104-160: High Self Esteem (Negative) ie. too much SE (eg narcissistic, overconfident...)
- 84-103: High Self Esteem (Positive) ie. healthy SE
- 74-83: Low Self Esteem (Positive) ie. lower, but still healthy SE
- 40-73: Low Self Esteem (Negative) ie. too low SE (eg. shameful, envious...)

Martin Ross sees 3 states of SE:
- Shattered
- Vulnerable
- Strong

I would map these as follows:
- High Self Esteem (Negative) - Vulnerable
- High Self Esteem (Positive) - Strong
- Low Self Esteem (Positive) - Not so Strong & a little shattered
- Low Self Esteem (Negative) - Shattered

Now, with the above, my LSE definition is wrong, since I saw above HSE (Negative) people as a combination of LSE with high self confidence.

However, I still believe my model is relevant, probably only the term of SE has to be replaced.

Let me try to approach this:
The above model of Vargas deals with CONSCIOUS / PERCEIVED SE (which is measured by a questionaire) while I am talking about UNCONSCIOUS / EMOTIONAL SE. What people think about themselves is likely not to accurately reflect their actual underlying but unconscious SE.

HSE (Negative) and LSE (Negative) both have deficits.
My hypothesis is that they both share the SAME deficit and this deficit has the same reasons / supporters, like negative parenting or excessive social media / digital device usage.

So, what I need is a term for what I call unconscious / emotional self esteem.

It seems, this term is IMPLICIT self esteem (vs. explicit SE).

So, to be more academically accurate, It seems I would need to add "implicit" wherever I only used SE so far.

Fair enough, but this also confirms my finding, that my basic concepts of human psychology are hidden and not present in common knowledge. And the terminology also reflects that.

If there is a more common expression for these things, I would like to know it, because it would greatly help me to explain
the dangers I see in the growing number of people with such deficits.
The study by Ross found 5% with High Self Esteem (Negative) and 6% with Low Self Esteem (Negative), but it was limited to teenagers and was not very wide.

What if in 1 generation the number grom from 5% to 20% ???

Or maybe I didnt hit the nail yet...
marcus_gabler

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 am

marcus_gabler wrote:However, I still believe my model is relevant, probably only the term of SE has to be replaced.

Bueno. Y con quien hablaste?

A good way to test how relevant your model, is to actually have a discussion with those that study the subject.

You keep posting in here, but no one in here is a leader in the field of SE.

Why are you not reaching out to leaders in the field of SE? What is stopping you? You keep asking for non-academic terms. Well, ask the people that actually study SE what terms they use to explain their work to non-academics.

What if in 1 generation the number grom from 5% to 20% ???

You know who would be able to discuss this with you? People that actually study SE.

Or maybe I didnt hit the nail yet...

Ask Cirilo Toro Vargas or Martin Ross. If they are not around or available, ask their co-authors, mentees, or colleagues.

I follow Cirilo on Researchgate and he is a 3rd connection on LinkedIn. I sent him an invite, but he has yet to respond.

Here is a website for Cirilo and it has a potential email listed of mailto:pirata78pr@yahoo.com

http://innovabiblio.org/vocesymemorias/ ... ro-vargas/

If you are serious about your website and applying your model, network with those that can give you the best feedback.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby quietvoice » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 pm

On Self-Esteem
To begin with a definition: Self-esteem is the disposition to experience oneself as being competent to cope with the basic challenges of life and of being worthy of happiness. It is confidence in the efficacy of our mind, in our ability to think. By extension, it is confidence in our ability to learn, make appropriate choices and decisions, and respond effectively to change. It is also the experience that success, achievement, fulfillment – happiness – are right and natural for us. The survival-value of such confidence is obvious; so is the danger when it is missing.”

~~NathanielBanden.com

The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem: The Definitive Work on Self-Esteem by the Leading Pioneer in the Field, Nathaniel Branden

- - - - -
My comment to you: There's no such thing as "too high" of self-esteem, as per this philosophy of self-esteem. Those who are narcissistic and such are suffering low self-esteem.
quietvoice

PreviousNext