How to support someone struggling with depression

Postby NickyJo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:37 am

My boyfriend of almost 3 years has recently been struggling with depression. We have discussed it in depth and he is going to counseling. I want to know how I can support him even though some of his actions are hurtful such as not communicating and spending alot of time away. I understand to a certain degree that he is not himself emotionally. How do I continue to be supportive? Do I give him space? I am very emotionally connected to him and I am hurting because he is hurting. He told me that he wonders if he should leave because it hurts him to see me hurting. I don't want him to leave, I want to find a way to get through this together. He is pushing everyone away not just me. We live together and it's hard to know what to do.
NickyJo

Likes Received: 0

Postby JenniferL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello,

It is better just to be by one's side.

Also, yes, it is better to give him some personal space.

Good Luck!
JenniferL

Postby Olga275 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 am

Dear, I am going through similar situation. Do u know if he has been taking any pills? Have you noticed anything unusual and/or unappropriate behavior about him?
Olga275

Postby BarryPap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am

Say you don’t have any. You don’t need any additional reasons. The only reason you need is that it is not a good fit for you.
BarryPap