can be a person get hypnotized by movies?

Postby charan@ind » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am

Respected sir/madam

I'm takeing The age between 18 to 22 five boys and same number of girls, were study and tested for 3 months. their behavior,emotions and method of thinking is build like movie characters I know.
So my question is can be a person get hypnotized by movies?
Please tell me.........
charan@ind

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm

No.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/eccc-2019 ... ay-gallery

If a person believes in voodoo magic or ghosts, then they might equally enjoy twisting the definition of hypnosis to believe in a world where movies are used to hypnotize people. If the person believes in peer reviewed empirical evidence, then movies are not capable of inducing multiple young adults into acting like movie characters.

People can model themselves after characters in movies. People can be influenced by movies. Go to any gencon or renfair and enjoy all the cosplay.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081

Postby quietvoice » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 pm

When describing hypnosis to people, it is common to use watching a film at the theatre as an example of hypnosis. If hypnosis can be described as one's mind being in a state outside of its normal, everyday state (bypassing the critical factor), and taking on or taking in the suggestions that are put before him and making them real in his mind at that time, then yes, enjoying a movie is a form of hypnosis.

If one were to go a level deeper, one can see that the many suggestions made in movies, in the dialogue and in scenery, because they bypassed the critical factor in the mind during the movie, leave impressions in one's subconscious mind when leaving the movie. These suggestions then tend to be acted upon in everyday life without thought. These are post-hypnotic suggestions. Think about why certain companies would want to have their products shown in a movie . . .
quietvoice

Likes Received: 229

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

quietvoice wrote: If hypnosis can be described as one's mind being in a state outside of its normal, ....Think about why certain companies would want to have their products shown in a movie . . .

It’s called branding. It’s called advertising. It can’t be described as hypnosis, because it is not hypnosis. It is marketing. Your mind is not outside it’s normal state just because a CGI dragon is breathing fire on a plastic screen. That is not hypnosis.

The above stated, I understand the desire to use an extremely broad definition to basically say that everything on television or in movies is a form of hypnosis. It isn’t. When everything is hypnosis, then what actually is hypnosis loses its meaning.

It is interesting. I’m always fascinated what value exists in taking a concept like hypnosis and applying a definition so broadly that it loses any practical meaning.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby quietvoice » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Your mind is not outside it’s normal state just because a CGI dragon is breathing fire on a plastic screen. That is not hypnosis.

The above stated, I understand the desire to use an extremely broad definition to basically say that everything on television or in movies is a form of hypnosis.

Can it be, is the question.

When one goes into a movie theater to become a part of the experience and to enjoy it, pretending for the moment that everything is real, to experience it for themself as life right now, forgetting everything else in their everyday life, this is a form of hypnosis.

I agree that just because something flashes across a screen (or elsewhere), that is not hypnosis. Hypnosis is a state of mind.

Please expound on your definition of hypnosis.
quietvoice

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 pm

quietvoice wrote:Can it be, is the question.

Please expound on your definition of hypnosis.

https://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/

Hypnosis is a therapeutic technique in which clinicians make suggestions to individuals who have undergone a procedure designed to relax them and focus their minds.

A finger is not a gun.

Can it be? No. Yet some will try to argue that a finger CAN BE used as a gun. I can pretend it is a gun. I can poke someone in their back and rob them of their wallet. It still doesn’t make a finger a gun.

A movie is no more a form of hypnosis than a finger is a gun. Sure, one can argue the case, you can draw similarities, but it simply isn’t.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby quietvoice » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:https://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/

Hypnosis is a therapeutic technique in which clinicians make suggestions to individuals who have undergone a procedure designed to relax them and focus their minds.

Thank you.

If you want to box the idea of hypnosis in the therapeutic context, then fine, at least I now know where you are coming from. I would qualify that as clinical hypnosis. Believe it or not, hypnosis exists outside of the therapists' domain.
quietvoice

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Hypnosis: a trancelike state that resembles sleep but is induced by a person whose suggestions are readily accepted by the subject.

It does not need be therapeutic or clinical. There is stage or street hypnosis. I agree with you. There are different types of hypnosis. A movie is not a form of hypnosis.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP