myers briggs MBTI types INFJ?

Postby mute » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 am

are Myers Briggs (MBTI) types a real thing or snake oil?
I saw someone post a list of INFJ personality traits and I lietrally fall under 100% of it.
so I started searching in hopes of it being wrong and maybe me being a personality that doesn't have so many fn contradictions and issues but I keep falling into this INFJ personality type

its not really helping at all lol since from what I read those people are pretty screwed and seem almost dysfunctional in real world. so its not something I would want to be even if its the "elite 1% of people who suffer from this type of personality" the rarest type of personality blah blah… it seems more like a curse than a gift

in any case. if I am in fact that and it is a real thing. how the f do you gather yourself and keep balance.
I feel like every time I try to put myself together something just blows sh** to pieces (and most of the time I feel that its me doing it for whatever unknown reason, maybe self sabotage maybe naturally I don't know but im tired of not being able to function like a normal human being and be happy and have a stable life "
mute

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Snake oil is a bit of a stretch, but the tests are pseudoscientific bull@##t.

Snake oil denotes people that know what they are selling is crap. Snake oil is when someone is trying to take advantage of you.

Myers Briggs was well intentioned people trying to develop a scientific approach to personality types. The people that buy into Myers Briggs truly believe what they are selling, even though decades of data has shown it is a bunch of pseudo scientific, chinese fortune telling, hogwash.

It is the same as “learning styles” that came out of Howard Gardner’s research on multiple intelligences. Very well intentioned, the research even resulted in an entire country, “France” adopting policies in the national education system to ensure teachers accommodated the learning styles of their students. But, same as Myers Briggs, it turned out to be pseudo scientific crap.

And things like Myers Briggs and learning styles don’t go away easy. Once they get embedded into a system, once accepted by a generation as true, it takes a Herculean effort to educate and dislodge fact from fiction.

For your specific case, you have this “normal human being” having a happy and stable life bs floating around in your head. You do realize no one is normal, right? You do realize when you go walking to your local supermarket, that every other person self sabotages, goes through ups and downs, suffers, and deals with instability in their own life, right?

The best any of us can do is focus on what we can accomplish day after day. Everything else is just a distraction, including personality tests.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081

Postby mute » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:12 pm

my self sabotage is really destroying everything though

I would keep a great diet for example and get in good shape and then for unknown reason I just do a complete 180 on my diet and start binge eating junk food and candy and gain all the weight back..
and its been going on for years like that

and everything else is same. if im doing great eventually I will somehow sabotage myself and do something stupid and end up in same position as before. for no apparent reason start making poor choices etc.
no idea what the cause is
mute

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:49 am

And a personality test does nothing to solve the issue. All it does is provide an excuse.

“I can’t lose weight, because I’m an ABCD personality and my star sign is Taurus and I was born the year of the snake!”

Hogwash, hogwash, hogwash.

You start binging because something changed in your situation. You moved next to the donut shop, or having reached a weight goal you changed focus to some other goal, losing focus.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081