Question about career and personality

Postby Seeker145 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Dear everyone,

I recently took an online test on what kind of career would best fit my personality. In general terms, I fit the Investigative - Artistic - Social type (in that order). More specifically, my top results were Anthropologist, Political Scientist, Sociologist, Astronomer, etc...

Now, the test said one should answer the questions based on what they would feel most comfortable doing, ignoring money and status (the Enterprising type - which I scored dead last - is the one most fitted for pursuits most likely to get one money and power). But the thing is, I *do* care about money and status. So I asked the people in charge about what their advice is. Here is the response:

“Hi, anyone can do jobs that do not fit their personality, they just will perform worse and it will be more tiring, even exhausting… it’s like marrying someone you do not love, possible, but not something I would recommend. The alternative is to seek status / money through other ways, ….”

1. Is this true? If I become, for example, an entrepreneur of some sort, will I be miserable?

2. What other ways?

Am I doomed to either spend my life either doing something that doesn’t fit my personality or not getting anywhere near the money and power I desire?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Seeker145

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Personality and/or career tests are no more valid than going to a palm reader or having someone read tea leaves. Those tests are pseudoscientific garbage. They present their method with a sprinkle of science, enough to convince you they have legitimate answers, but it is utter rubbish.

Don’t get me wrong. They believe the rubbish. They truly believe in their own method as much if not more than any preacher believes in whatever faith they teach.

Start fresh. Throw away the test, delete the website.

Set goals, achieve your goals, repeat. If you’re not sure what goals, set shorter, less difficult goals that allow you to sample the buffet.

Take a history class, take a business class, run a marathon, learn to cook, learn a foreign language. You will discover things you enjoy. And anything you enjoy is your path to providing value to others. It is providing value that brings meaning to life.

If your path is college, sign up for general studies, take electives from a variety of fields. You will find a path organically through lived experience, not based on some bogus test.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1081