Off pot for 51 Months

Postby hello_rockview » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 am

Hi Everyone,

For years before quitting I would go to this site for advice and hope each time I would try to quit weed. This dates back to 2008. I have a ton of gratitude for this site and all of you for participating. This site is part of my toolkit even though I have not posted since 2008 and did so under a different account that I no longer seem to have access to.

My last consumption of pot in any form (THC or CBD) was in June of 2015. It was at least the 10th time I had tried to quit smoking since 2005. I later quit alcohol in December of 2016.

Still, quitting weed and quitting drinking have been the two best things I have ever done for myself. I will focus on weed as there are so many resources online about alcohol addiction and so few about pot.

Here are the resourced I used to help me quit back in 2015:

Marijuana Anonymous
resources at quitweed .co,m
this site
r/leaves reddit

I no longer live paycheck to paycheck or have "more money's worth of weed" than "money's worth of money". The first part of quitting is more physical plane related (withdrawals, free time, anxiety, finances, etc.) before the big mental and spiritual changes happen after a longer period of sobriety after your brain loses its dependence on being constantly flooded with encannabanoids.

I used to think I was an insomniac, but really my brain was just so used to being smoked unconscious every night that of course I had trouble sleeping without it. That excuse helped me get a medical card which only gave me regular access to my rocket ship to the moon that I spent more time on than Earth.

If you are wondering if you should quit, I would caution against pondering meaningless questions such as "is weed even a drug?" or "can you even be addicted to weed"? I would instead ask these questions:

1.) Is smoking currently (not historically!) helpful, neutral, or harmful to my well-being on the spiritual, mental, and physical planes?
2.) If harmful to me, why the hell do I keep using it all of the time against my better intentions?

I would particularly focus on your mental and spiritual well-being as so many people argue about whether pot is physically addictive rather than the spiritual and mental parts. The mental and spiritual aspects of weed are the insidious parts habitual marijuana use. The time I failed a drug test and lost a job wasn't because I was going to go into shock if I didn't smoke weed. It was instead due purely to mental and spiritual deficits that led me to make compulsive and stupid decisions. Weed roots itself in zones of mental and spiritual weakness, and that is what makes it so damn hard to quit.

Also, I believe all the things about here about PAWS are real. PAWS is truly what keeps me from smoking again even when I think it would be fun to smoke a joint at a concert or something. The idea of going through that ALL OVER AGAIN has kept me from taking even 1 hit.

Anyway I have been meaning to write on here for years. If you want to pick my brain on anything feel free to PM me.
hello_rockview

Likes Received: 5

Postby dirtySanchez » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 am

Could you please write in short sentences the timeline how have you advanced in terms of PAWS and improvements in the first year, the second year, the third year...
dirtySanchez

Likes Received: 26

Postby hello_rockview » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 am

dirtySanchez wrote:Could you please write in short sentences the timeline how have you advanced in terms of PAWS and improvements in the first year, the second year, the third year...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

1st couple weeks: sweats, insomnia, mania, anxiety, etc. Occasional "pink cloud" positive buzz during the day but most super irritable.
First couple months: sweats and insomnia improved, but anxiety and irritability are bad. Brain fog got worse.
Months 3-6: Brain fog off and on, irritability, anxiety, and all of that getting a bit worse as the endocannabinoid receptors are fully depleted and starving. That part of my brain felt like an empty lakebed in the dessert that was once full of life.
Months 6-12: Moments as bad as months 3-6, but maybe a few days a week instead of most days.
Months 12-18: Moments as bad as months 3-6, but maybe a couple of days a week instead of most days. My short term memory started improving at work which was nice.
Months 18-24: PAWS moments happened often enough to remind me that they exist and that I should never smoke again.

An analogy is that I spent 13 years wandering into a forest with no aim and no intent other than to explore and then eventually to disappear. After 2 years I was veering way off the main path. 13 years after entering the forest, I realized I now detested the once magical place and wanted out. Unfortunately, I had no idea where I was an no memory of how I got there. it took me about 6 months of climbing and some sprained ankles to get back to the main path. From there, it took about a year and a half on the main to get back to the entrance where I was 15 years before. Those 18 months had storms and tons of anger at myself and at the world for not being out of the woods yet. 2 years to get out was still a good bargain seeing as that is a fraction of the time (13 years)I spent getting lost.

Thank you for asking your question. The above details helped give me the regular reminder that even 1 brief slip with smoking could make me go thru those awful months all over again. I wouldn't want to put myself, my coworkers, or my wife through that again!
hello_rockview

Likes Received: 5

Postby SparkleFly12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 am

I like you, thought I was an insomniac. And got a medical card to blast myself off to the moon every night. But what took me years to accept was that weed made my insomnia worse. It helps in the short term, but after a couple weeks you can't get to sleep without it; and eventually I had to smoke in the middle of the night to even get a full nights rest.

Your question is exactly what I asked myself before I decided to quit: is weed *currently* a positive or negative impact on my health. I didnt answer that question honestly for a few years, I think because of my psychological dependence on weed. I had had weird, unexplained health issues that deep down I knew were from weed; but I didnt want to admit it. For me though, once I decided to quit, it wasn't hard staying off. And PAWS is plenty enough of a deter rant to not start abusing weed again.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 21

Postby mynameismaryjane » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:48 pm

How were you post 24 months? Are all of your symptoms gone now?
mynameismaryjane

Likes Received: 6

Postby SparkleFly12 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 am

Today is 8 months for me. For me I had very physical symptoms - a constant headache for 6-7 months but that is finally only intermittent; I feel a mild headache only a couple hrs each day now. Month 1-3 it was severe, eye-squintingly painful and hurt all over my head; and it slowly decreased in intensity and location. Now it's only a mild pain in my temples when it happens.

Depression and anxiety stopped around month 6. Muscle soreness stopped around month 7.

My remaining symptoms are now Intermittent; they seem to get worse and better every 7 days. When they are better, I'm almost normal and when they are worse, it is only mild. The symptoms are brain fog, mild headache, swollen lymph nodes, and low libido/ED. I really can't wait to be better, especially the low libido issue.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 21

Postby biohack9 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:20 pm

hello_rockview wrote:
dirtySanchez wrote:Could you please write in short sentences the timeline how have you advanced in terms of PAWS and improvements in the first year, the second year, the third year...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

1st couple weeks: sweats, insomnia, mania, anxiety, etc. Occasional "pink cloud" positive buzz during the day but most super irritable.
First couple months: sweats and insomnia improved, but anxiety and irritability are bad. Brain fog got worse.
Months 3-6: Brain fog off and on, irritability, anxiety, and all of that getting a bit worse as the endocannabinoid receptors are fully depleted and starving. That part of my brain felt like an empty lakebed in the dessert that was once full of life.
Months 6-12: Moments as bad as months 3-6, but maybe a few days a week instead of most days.
Months 12-18: Moments as bad as months 3-6, but maybe a couple of days a week instead of most days. My short term memory started improving at work which was nice.
Months 18-24: PAWS moments happened often enough to remind me that they exist and that I should never smoke again.

This is VERY helpful to me so thank you for sharing that! I'm just about to hit month two, and the night sweats have improved, and sleeping about 4 hours/night. But i've had a WICKED headache for the past 5 days that doesn't seem to be stopping. It's horrible.
biohack9

Likes Received: 1