weed withdrawal thoughts/questions

Postby heyyy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi!
Northern European 22-year old here. Used to smoke a whole lotta weed for a couple of years, but as I started having panic attacks this summer I decided to take a serious break. Now, I'm 83 days in and feeling like absolute trash - depression, anxiety, dp/dr and all of that stuff. Taking vitamins and trying to live healthy and maintain a clean facade but it's hard.

Just stumbled upon this forum after trying to find out what is wrong with me, since this depression just keeps getting worse. I was instantly pretty relieved to see that what I'm experiencing is normal, and that there might be a chance that this is temporary (even if it might take a long time to heal). I've had so many weird physical symptoms the last months (wobbly feet, tingling hands etc.) and not knowing what's causing it has been super stressful.

Now, I'm kind of curious about a couple of things:

Would SSRI drugs help in a situation like this, or would they maybe postpone the healing process?

Is it adviced to strictly avoid alcohol during the healing process? I hook up with friends and have a couple of drinks every now and then, and it doesn't have any negative impact on my anxiety/depression as far as I can tell - for the moment it's not even an option though, since I'm having a hard time leaving the house, but it would be nice to know for future parties, holidays and things like that.

Also, this is what I wonder about the most: can withdrawal have a negative impact on the digestive system? Been having extremely painful cramps and a severely bloated belly, and my doctor thinks it's IBS - but I've heard that both anxiety and depression can cause your gut to malfunction (because of the gut-brain connection). Anyone here ever experienced anything like that in relation to withdrawal?
heyyy

Likes Received: 0

Postby Cthompson21 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Hey, welcome. You will feel this way for a while and time is the only healer. You have these symptoms because your nervous system has been messed up, the neurotransmitters are all out of whack. I experimented with SSRIs and they just made things worse but that doesn't mean they wont work for you. Everyone is different. Alcohol is a no no for me too, and a lot of other people have cut it out too, but some people seem to tolerate it. You just have to experiment and find out. I personally believe that being sober is the best course of action. You will heal faster without the substances in your system. Good luck and keep and update on your progress, it takes time but you will heal!
Cthompson21

Likes Received: 48

Postby heyyy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Ok, will still see my doctor about my digestive issues but spontaneously I have a feeling that it's related to my withdrawal.
heyyy

Postby SparkleFly12 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Hey @heyyy,

The depression and anxiety are all very normal for those of us who are unlucky enough to get PAWS after stopping weed.

@Cthompson21 is right, everyone is different and what works for one person may be terrible for another person. But my persona advice is to stay away from other drugs that have a profound effect on your brain chemistry (anti-depression or anti-anxiety meds, including SSRIs). If your brain was normal before; it will be normal after. Taking prescriptions that affect your brain chemistry will only delay your recovery; once you overcome PAWS from weed your brain will need to re-adjust to life without the medication. My opinion is that it is best to let your brain heal itself. That said, if you have very severe anxiety/depression, you may need to go to the doctor and get treated. But I would try to stay away.

Through the depression from PAWS I always had such negative, terrible thoughts. It took a lot of effort to constantly think about what was going on in my life; and consciously think "this is just PAWS, I have nothing to be depressed about; it will pass in time".

Typically digestive issues are an acute withdrawal symptom, not a post acute withdrawal symptom. So it usually clears in a few weeks after stopping. But, as everyone on this forum keeps repeating, everyone is different. I had (and still sometimes have) a headache for 7 months straight. A headache is usually only felt in the acute withdrawal phase; but I had and still often have it 8+ months in. I wouldnt be surprised if your stomach issues are PAWS related. But given that the treatment for IBS isnt psychoactive, I would try treatment if it is really bothering you. Just dont be surprised if the treatment doesnt work; one thing Ive read and learned personally is that weed withdrawal not well understood by the medical community; and treatments arent always effective.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 21

Postby heyyy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:43 pm

small update:
It seems more and more that my digestive issues are unrelated to PAWS, as they are so severe that they're pretty much their own thing entirely.

I went out and had a lot to drink at a party the other night, and it didn't trigger anything (neither paws or digestive issues) and I just felt good.
But on the other hand, coffee really f**ks me up now. I've been feeling less and less dp/dr over the course of the last month, but one cup of coffee was all it took for me to almost have an out of body feeling, pretty similar to when you smoke waaaay to much weed... sigh. Really hoping that I'll recover enough to be able to enjoy coffee again, as It's a beverage that I really really enjoy.
heyyy

Postby Icanbeatthis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi, 47 been smoking pot since 17 off and on mostly on, have serious problems weed helps me tho there r negatives. Havn't been able to work for 10 years, 7 years ago my motorcycle finally was ordered off the road it was devastating the last good thing in my life I actually cried. I'd been off pot a long time I bought a used mountain bike for 50bux my city is spread out my first big ride I was absolutely exhauasted and an a truely amazing thing happened I felt great! Exercise is the only substitute for pot I know that works. 1st day cycling is hardest it gets easy quickly it really is this simple please try it
Icanbeatthis

Postby Icanbeatthis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm

I never knew pot withdrawal could be so severe. When I stop I'm stressed grouchy and bored for 24 hrs it gets better quickly after that and I'm good in a few days, I also have intense dreams for a couple of nights (were they suppressed by pot and come back with a vengence?) I'm stil sure cycling excercise would fix help or manage some of your issues
Icanbeatthis

Postby Icanbeatthis » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Thankyou for that information. I regularly stop marijuana just because I cant stand addiction having any power or controll of me. I have no intention of quitting to be perfectly honest though I can't 100% predict my future choices or experiences. I have many other sources of pleasure and rewards in my life maybe that's why I'm ok with it. The only bad effect I get is slightly less energy so I put extra effort into motivating myself and other things that give me energy, diet excercise the odd vitamin etc the benefits far out way the negatives to me. I am truely shocked by what I've been reading about the absolutely awful effects it can have on others, wow I will never recommend marijuana to anyone
Icanbeatthis