Almost 8 Months and terrible Insomnia...

Postby JimBob8873 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Hey guys its been a while... I have been having terrible insomnia for the past couple weeks, I will either have a very hard time falling asleep or fall asleep then wake up 2 hours after going to sleep only to lay in bed for hours and hours tossing and turning. Its really starting to bring me down, I was doing so well and then BAM cant sleep at all. I have also noticed my heart beats really hard like I can constantly feel it when I am laying down, its next to impossible to fall asleep when my heart is doing its own rendition of a Van Halen drum solo. My heart isnt beating fast, just hard or well noticeable. Has anyone experienced this before? I assume it is anxiety related along with the insomnia. But I am so far along I figured I would be over sleeping poorly...

I have started to get back into crossfit and honestly I think that is the problem, the workouts are just too intense for my stage of PAWS. So I will stop doing that until I really feel like my body is up to the task of being pushed harder. Really sucks though since I really like the gym and want to get back into shape.

My job has also been stressful pretty much the entire time I've had PAWS. I am always under a bunch of pressure and wear several hats since its a small company. I am heading up a new subsidiary company and its just been too much. Does anyone have any advice for managing stress during waves of PAWS? I really havent found anything that works besides just letting it do its thing.
JimBob8873

Likes Received: 7

Postby surfermatt » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 pm

The harder heartbeat is a normal part of feeling anxious. I feel like that often and have just learned to shrug it off. I wouldn't stop doing exercise because exercise makes your heart stronger and more fit. You cannot control what your body is doing, and it is unnerving at times, but I don't think there is any harm done.

As far as the lack of proper sleep goes, I was having the same problem and a therapist told me that instead of saying to myself "I must try to get to sleep now/tonight/etc" that I should say to myself "It is ok if my body goes to sleep and ok if it doesn't." Having that attitude has helped me and I find that I fall asleep. Another trick I learned is instead of trying to fall asleep, make the goal trying to stay awake. You may find you can't stay awake.

Anxiety sucks, but it's really a big lie and delusion. Your brain is trying to trick you.

Good luck!
surfermatt

Likes Received: 1

Postby leavepawsbehind » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 am

surfermatt wrote:As far as the lack of proper sleep goes, I was having the same problem and a therapist told me that instead of saying to myself "I must try to get to sleep now/tonight/etc" that I should say to myself "It is ok if my body goes to sleep and ok if it doesn't." Having that attitude has helped me and I find that I fall asleep.

This thinking helped me the most with insomnia early on. I would get worked up and anxious about not falling asleep. Sleep came back in time and it's been normal for me since about a year sober except for a week or two here and there where I had random bouts of insomnia.
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 30

Postby biohack9 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 pm

JimBob8873 wrote:I have started to get back into crossfit and honestly I think that is the problem, the workouts are just too intense for my stage of PAWS. So I will stop doing that until I really feel like my body is up to the task of being pushed harder. Really sucks though since I really like the gym and want to get back into shape.

I can really relate to this, but sub in hot yoga instead of crossfit. IMO that could very well be the issue, it's just too intense/taxing and i've been feeling and hearing that heavy heart thump when I go to sleep as well. I'm only 2 months in, and my sleep SEEMS to be improving now so I greatly do empathize with you so far into your recovery. Perhaps don't do something as intense as crossfit/circuits but just lift some weights instead? It took me this long to get back into a gym routine and although i'm attending half of my usual time, i'm finally getting over being deconditioned and starting to gain strength again. In this time i've put on 10lbs and gained several % bodyfat, so now I have goals to drop the 10 and get back to single digit body comp. I'm definitely noticing that my stamina and cardio is absolutely awful now, and although it's depressing, I know it's only temporary. Congrats on 8 months!

[/quote]
This thinking helped me the most with insomnia early on. I would get worked up and anxious about not falling asleep. Sleep came back in time and it's been normal for me since about a year sober except for a week or two here and there where I had random bouts of insomnia.[/quote]

Wow a year eh? That at least gives me a goal... it must be so nice having decent sober refreshing sleep again. Crazy how it can take so long. Congrats, i'm sure those random bouts will get lesser and vanish completely! Thanks for sharing that, it definitely helps me.
biohack9

Likes Received: 4

Postby Heretohelp333 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 am

Try to think of happy thoughts. It sounds funny but a lot of insomnia is because of worrying. Slowly your body will allow you to get deeper sleep. Congrats on 8 months
Heretohelp333

Likes Received: 3