Almost 3 months weed free - gained 15lbs

Postby biohack9 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm

I've always been athletic, lean with single digit bodyfat composition. I'm 6'3, and before I quit weed nearly 3 month ago (10 weeks now) I was about 185lbs, never more than 190lbs. Now i'm around 200lbs! My 32" waist is now 34" and the only thing I can attribute it to is a ravenous appetite since quitting. I eat pretty healthy, but I just can't seem to satiate myself, and am always craving food. I used to fast doing 18/6 and although i've done some long fasts, they haven't been easy, and on top of the depression that came out of nowhere about a month ago, i'm feeling like if this is the new norm, i'm out!

Giving it another 6 months or so and hopefully I see the other side... i've had glimpses, but this really sucks and wondering if i've just been "self medicating" for the past decade, and now i'm "off my meds".

Anyone else gain lbs that are active and eat healthy? I never had "the munchies" due to my high tolerance.
biohack9

Likes Received: 10

Postby tokeless » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Weight gain is common when you stop smoking. Years ago most models smoked as it suppressed their appetites as part of weight management.. Now they vomit and use laxatives as it's healthier (poor joke)
Smoking is a very oral habit and we comfort ourselves with food etc... Try substituting high calorie foods for less and drink plenty of water as dehydration can create false hunger.
tokeless

Likes Received: 283

Postby biohack9 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 pm

tokeless wrote:Weight gain is common when you stop smoking. Years ago most models smoked as it suppressed their appetites as part of weight management.. Now they vomit and use laxatives as it's healthier (poor joke)
Smoking is a very oral habit and we comfort ourselves with food etc... Try substituting high calorie foods for less and drink plenty of water as dehydration can create false hunger.

Thanks, I never smoked, only vaporized, but I guess it's the same thing when self medicating and what it does to the neurochemistry of our brain. Must be a present low dopamine state and the brain is trying to get it from food. I'm starting to fast mornings (from 6pm the previous evening) and dialling down my diet even more. I figure things will rebalance once I get consistent better sleep since a lack of sleep really mucks with blood sugar and creates temporary diabetic states.

It was just SO MUCH EASIER when I get THC in my life. It was essentially EFFORTLESS to stay lean and ripped while not watching my diet TOO closely. Damn.
biohack9

Postby tokeless » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Yeah, but life's about choices. As for fasting of which I know little. Doesn't the body slow metabolism in response to preserve it's stores of fat? Good luck with your choices... I have recently been tempted to try a weed vape but I won't because I know myself as a pot head and I'd end up vaping all day... Best left in the great memories I have of loving weed and what it gave me.
tokeless

Likes Received: 283

Postby biohack9 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:07 pm

tokeless wrote:Yeah, but life's about choices. As for fasting of which I know little. Doesn't the body slow metabolism in response to preserve it's stores of fat? Good luck with your choices... I have recently been tempted to try a weed vape but I won't because I know myself as a pot head and I'd end up vaping all day... Best left in the great memories I have of loving weed and what it gave me.

Not at all, at least not for shorter term fasts. You simply burn your own body fat for energy and it's amazing for cellular autophagy and hormones.

Weed vapes are what got me addicted/dependent because there wasn't really any negative effects from it, and it was just so easy, but also easy to overindulge. Kinda like dabbing, you're getting all the good stuff without having to inhale any of the bad stuff (plant material).

Not sure how long it's been for you, but if you've noticed your life is much better without it in the long term then definitely stick to sobriety since all drugs are just an illusion. The only way i'll go back to it is if I really have a legit medical issue like depression and insomnia, which i've struggled with my entire life (and ptsd), however I started using cannabis so damn long ago, that I can't say for sure whether I was just masking underlying issues, OR the cannabis was CAUSING my issues.

Classic chicken and the egg scenario, but i'll never know myself until I go the distance, so this time i'm doing it. I may never touch it again, I may include it in moderation, or I might even get back to semi-regular usage... not sure what the future holds, but i'm excited for whatever it will be.
biohack9

Postby SparkleFly12 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:49 pm

I have gained a ton of weight. almost 25lb. Ive always gained/lost weight easily, with diet and exercise (or lack thereof). Losing this weight is going to be the next challenge I face, but not to worried about that as I know Ive done it before.

Actually, when I first quit, I was still exercising a lot and not eatig a ton. Around month 5-6 is when it all went downhill, its about when my life got more stressful...my life has just been very stressful since then and Id attribute the eating to that. Since I "let go" at month 6 and started letting myself eat crap, Ive gained all the weight (at ~10mo now). I know its just my body craving that dopamine hit, I can just feel the craving come mealtime even if Im not that hingry. I also have been very stressed and busy; and havent had time to exercise.

Actually, come to think of it, it all started when I started my 2hr/day 4day/wk exercise regimine; during which I eat a lot (but burn more than I take in); thrn when things got stressful and I didnt have time to exercise, I still kept eating. And the food choices just got worse to compensate for the stress.

Honestly it may not even be directly paws related at all, but paws certainly is adding to my overall stress level so it certainly contributing.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 30

Postby Isitpaws » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I’m the same but not eating anymore than I did before I quit. I was 14st before I quit And now I’m over 17st

I’m also nearly a year free from smoking, I quit all day smoking in July 2018 only smoking a spliff at weekend till around October time then I stopped that weekend spliff and it was around December time that paws started.

The depression has subsided but the generalised anxiety and cravings for a smoke are still intense nearly a year on.
I think if I don’t start feeling better soon I’m going to start smoking as think i was also self medicating.
Isitpaws

Likes Received: 1

Postby biohack9 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:05 am

SparkleFly12 wrote: I know its just my body craving that dopamine hit.

This is it for me. I get cravings coming on STRONG...for carbs, all kinds. I used to be able to stick to a super clean diet of meat/veggies and fast effortlessly. Now I just crave, and get hungry way more often. I think it has to do with that dopamine, and norepinephrine. I think it's hormonal changes.

Isitpaws wrote:The depression has subsided but the generalised anxiety and cravings for a smoke are still intense nearly a year on.
I think if I don’t start feeling better soon I’m going to start smoking as think i was also self medicating.

It's good to know that the depression has subsided. I never have the cravings to imbibe though... I can disconnect from it so easily, it's just the depression/anxiety and insomnia that crushes me.

Like last night I went to bed at 9pm, and then woke up at 12:30am and couldn't sleep no matter what. Eventually I think I started drifting into an absurd dream state for an hour in the later morning.... such bizarre dreams, but i'm only 10 weeks in now.

It's possible we all were self medicating. Someone once told me something i'll never forget... she said, "if you're smoking it regularly, you're hurting". I think there is something to that...physical OR emotional pain.

But, I only have one chance at this, because i'm not going through this again. You guys are SO lucky you're so far ahead in the journey... I have like nearly a year to go. And lots of people on here are saying 2.5 years to heal, so there's that.
biohack9

Postby Isitpaws » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 am

Yeah the depression sucked big time I just wanted to die even people at work noticed i wasn’t right. That subsided for me around month four but the anxiety hasn’t gone it’s just not as bad as it was at first but still invasive in my daily regime everyday.

I still get crazy vivid dreams even now but never really suffered from the insomnia

I actually liked smoking it kept me chilled and like you say if this is the sober me I’d rather smoke as I’m not living the rest of my days like this. I’m hoping it is just paws and I’ve got 2/3 years of feeling crappy but we will see
Isitpaws

Postby biohack9 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:52 am

Isitpaws wrote:Yeah the depression sucked big time I just wanted to die even people at work noticed i wasn’t right. That subsided for me around month four but the anxiety hasn’t gone it’s just not as bad as it was at first but still invasive in my daily regime everyday.

I still get crazy vivid dreams even now but never really suffered from the insomnia

I actually liked smoking it kept me chilled and like you say if this is the sober me I’d rather smoke as I’m not living the rest of my days like this. I’m hoping it is just paws and I’ve got 2/3 years of feeling crappy but we will see

What other symptoms do you have other than the anxiety? If it's improved then that means you're on a positive trajectory and likely might need more time, but hard to say. Are you really going to abstain for the next 1-2 years to find out? That's amazing man.

With the anxiety, and the weight gain, it has to be hormonal IMO. Perhaps the cannabis just gives us some form of equilibrium homeostasis but with its biphasic response, it's got pros/cons. It's like it can stimulate and be positive at small acute doses, but sedate and be negative at larger chronic consistent doses. The poison is always in the dose.

Don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water but when you have addictive tendencies it's a constant struggle. Still better than pharma drugs and alcohol/caffeine IMO. It just has to be a healthy relationship, and not abusive. I think we're all here because of the abuse, not responsible usage.

I'm actually finding i'm way more chilled now WITHOUT it in my life. I think that many stoners are constantly irritable when not under the influence, and I feel that the effects do last well into the next day.

One thing I really appreciate now is even though my sleep can suffer, especially with the rem rebound, I no longer have those dark circles/bags/racoon eyes anymore. I look younger.
biohack9

Postby Isitpaws » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 am

Anxiety along with the negative reoccurring ocd thoughts, self doubt, brain fog and short term memory loss are my psychological issues. My physical symptoms are weight gain and sore joints.

I want to go to 2/3 years clean to see if I do improve and come out of this paws but if I’m still struggling then I will probably start self medicating again.
The first few months were hell thats when I stopped having caffeine and alcohol and was taking supplements but nothing seems to work I just guess it’s a time is a healer sort of thing so your brain can heal after years of abuse.
Isitpaws

Postby biohack9 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 am

I feel you on those psychological issues, I guess i'm still in those first 3 months of hell. Caffeine/alcohol seems much worse now with PAWS than when I was abusing THC. It's like guaranteed shitty sleep and brutal next day depression and fatigue/amotivation.

Massive amount of respect for going the distance with the 2-3 years man. Seriously, I was only planning to go a year, but you've motivated me to go longer if i'm not feeling myself yet. We only got one shot at this, but year after that time if it still sucks, there is no use torturing ourselves.

How old are you?
biohack9

Postby Isitpaws » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:07 am

Honestly the first 6 months are miserable, it gets better or more manageable so hang it out. I’ll feel as if I’ve wasted a year or spent a year in hell for no reason if I start smoking now so for that reason I’m toughing it out hoping for normality to resume.

I’m 35 I started smoking occasionally when I was 15/16 and was smoking everyday all day when I was around 17/18 and it was hash then not the strong weed.

Hopefully for you the depression eases.
I’m so glad I’m not having that doom and gloom cloud hanging over my head, it was actually quite scary the thoughts that go through your head.
Isitpaws

Postby biohack9 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:17 am

Yeah especially since I never had the depression for about the first 6 weeks, it was all physical for me, mainly sleep and sweating. But it's not bad all the time, just some days can be rough but i'm feeling some changes depending on my sleep.

Damn you started young, really young... I didn't start daily usage until 32, and it was only with a vaporizer never smoking it. Last year+ has been dabs, but very low temperature and micro dabbing, so actually less than the flower dosages I vaped.

Thanks for the heads up on the first 6 months... I can't wait to see the other side of them. The glimpses are good, I just wish I never woke up a few hours after going to bed. But at least I can fall asleep no problem.
biohack9

Postby ginabi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:23 am

Must've been the appetite
ginabi

Likes Received: 0

Next