Poor Circulation?

Postby akidual » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Hope everyone is doing well, and getting through PAWS.
I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with poor circulation during PAWS? My feet stay really cold even if I bundle up with socks and clothes.
akidual
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Likes Received: 0


#1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Persistent cold in extremities is more often a symptom related to a strained/weak/damaged heart, most often associated with age or obesity.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 10729
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1095

#2

Postby tokeless » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Persistent cold in extremities is more often a symptom related to a strained/weak/damaged heart, most often associated with age or obesity.


Uh uh Richard... It's PAWS. Trust me, it HAS to be.
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 261

#3

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 pm

tokeless wrote:
Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Persistent cold in extremities is more often a symptom related to a strained/weak/damaged heart, most often associated with age or obesity.


Uh uh Richard... It's PAWS. Trust me, it HAS to be.


Uh uh Tokeless...it MIGHT be PAWS. It doesn’t HAVE to be.

There are many other health related possibilities that might cause someone to experience cold feet. I think the OP should not lightly dismiss that things other than PAWS can be behind this particular issue.

It is a possibility. I wouldn’t explain away a circulation issue because it MIGHT be PAWS related.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 10729
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1095

#4

Postby tokeless » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:27 pm

Uh uh Richard... It's PAWS. Trust me, it HAS to be.[/quote]

Uh uh Tokeless...it MIGHT be PAWS. It doesn’t HAVE to be.

There are many other health related possibilities that might cause someone to experience cold feet. I think the OP should not lightly dismiss that things other than PAWS can be behind this particular issue.

It is a possibility. I wouldn’t explain away a circulation issue because it MIGHT be PAWS related.[/quote]

There are many things it can be but PAWS seems to be the go to answer for everything...
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 261

#5

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:37 pm

tokeless wrote: There are many things it can be but PAWS seems to be the go to answer for everything...


Agreed. And that is exactly why the OP might want to consider things other than PAWS. It would be truly unfortunate if the OP has an underlying heart condition, but person after person says, "Trust me, it's just PAWS." This might give the OP a false sense of security.

I'm not saying it isn't PAWS. I'm only suggesting that poor circulation isn't something to take lightly.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 10729
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1095

#6

Postby akidual » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 pm

I'm not saying it HAS to be PAWS. I've gone to the doctor already and didn't really get a good answer as to why my circulation is poor. I've never had a problem with it before and the doctor said to think about any changes I have made in my lifestyle. The only one I could think of is quiting weed so I thought I'd give it a shot and ask if anyone's experienced this before.
akidual
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Likes Received: 0

#7

Postby Anewchapter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 am

tokeless wrote:
Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Persistent cold in extremities is more often a symptom related to a strained/weak/damaged heart, most often associated with age or obesity.


Uh uh Richard... It's PAWS. Trust me, it HAS to be.


Mocking someone while they’re actively trying to better themselves and going through struggles while doing so is a bit harsh.
I do agree, there is too much emphasis on paws on here at the moment, I’m not discounting the struggles some are going through in saying that; I myself had some issues after stopping smoking weed, so I do understand it can be difficult. I know you didn’t, tokeless, that’s great, good for you. Everyones biology’s different. Out of curiosity, when was it you stopped smoking weed? The weed available now is very strong, and even before it was as potent as it is now it was known to cause psychological problems in some people, especially those that are more prone to psychological issues.

Akidual - try not to focus too much on paws, it will only exacerbate things. I know it can be difficult, but, try and relax a little. Mediation is a good way to try and settle your mind, exercise will definitely help too. Your mind is working ‘overtime’ at the moment, it will get easier as time goes on. It’s good that you went and got your circulation checked out by a doctor. Now you know it isn’t due to bad circulation, try not to focus on it too much. I had flushes when I initially stopped, I often got the sweats and would also feel cold at the same time. If it continues though and doesn’t improve go back to the doctor.
Anewchapter
Full Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:23 pm
Likes Received: 24

#8

Postby Soul_searching » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am

Feeling cold in your extremities can be related to anxiety, it is part of your fight or flight response. It can also be related to poor cardiovascular health, long term anxiety can put strain on your cardiovascular system.

I am big advocate of breath meditation, for lowering your heart rate and blood pressure. Ensure you are getting good exercise, and eating well. Also as a quick fix try ginger tea, not only is it calming but it improves blood flow to your extremities.
Soul_searching
New Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 pm
Likes Received: 0

#9

Postby tokeless » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am

I don't mean to mock anyone but this obsession with PAWS is getting ridiculous. Even when people seek reassurance from doctors that they are fine it can't be true because the doctors don't understand it etc etc.. The power of the mind is underrated and people can convince themselves that they have PAWS when it is more likely something else.. Even after years of quitting. People should focus on their success of quitting rather than obsess over how long it's been and how they are struggling after years, all because they believe they have PAWS.. I stopped after decades of smoking the strongest they had at that time. I do get it's stronger now and opened a post on that, but no, it didn't matter what they smoked they still got it... Even after one spliff or a few times if using.... It's become infectious because people are seeking answers but only accept the one's that fit. I guess I need to just let people wallow and move on. I quit, moved on and never looked back because your future is ahead of you, not behind.
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 261

#10

Postby HDog455 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:14 am

tokeless wrote:I don't mean to mock anyone but this obsession with PAWS is getting ridiculous. Even when people seek reassurance from doctors that they are fine it can't be true because the doctors don't understand it etc etc.. The power of the mind is underrated and people can convince themselves that they have PAWS when it is more likely something else.. Even after years of quitting. People should focus on their success of quitting rather than obsess over how long it's been and how they are struggling after years, all because they believe they have PAWS.. I stopped after decades of smoking the strongest they had at that time. I do get it's stronger now and opened a post on that, but no, it didn't matter what they smoked they still got it... Even after one spliff or a few times if using.... It's become infectious because people are seeking answers but only accept the one's that fit. I guess I need to just let people wallow and move on. I quit, moved on and never looked back because your future is ahead of you, not behind.


Same here - I quit a 30-year chronic habit cold turkey and, from the git-go, worked really hard to focus on looking forward and deriving pleasure from the simple things in life like beautiful sunsets and surfing. Of course, there were other important measures that I needed to take but I won't rehash all of that in this post - It's all there in my content previously published on this forum.

A few years ago when I was a lot more active here I took a lot of flak when I suggested that there was far too much mollycoddling going on. From what I could see it wasn't always helping people to concentrate on quitting - instead it was sometimes more about justifying self-pity which I have always believed to be a big waste of time and energy.

I'm not saying that a little back-patting will never help anyone but there are times when, especially when communicating with people who have suffered and continue to suffer multiple relapses, you need to be, as the saying goes, cruel to be kind. I won't pretend that my firm approach, when used, was 100% effective but I did help a few people who appreciated getting a friendly kick in the behind.
HDog455
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:33 am
Location: Australia
Likes Received: 89

#11

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 am

HDog455 wrote:Same here - I quit a 30-year chronic habit cold turkey and, from the git-go, worked really hard to focus on looking forward and deriving pleasure from the simple things in life like beautiful sunsets and surfing.


Was there a "moment" or "event" that triggered the quit? What I mean is was there some rock bottom or moment of clarity that struck because of some X?

Most often there are many reasons or causes, but I think it is common to pick a particular event that resonates. What was it in your case?
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 10729
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1095

#12

Postby HDog455 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:33 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
HDog455 wrote:Same here - I quit a 30-year chronic habit cold turkey and, from the git-go, worked really hard to focus on looking forward and deriving pleasure from the simple things in life like beautiful sunsets and surfing.


Was there a "moment" or "event" that triggered the quit? What I mean is was there some rock bottom or moment of clarity that struck because of some X?

Most often there are many reasons or causes, but I think it is common to pick a particular event that resonates. What was it in your case?


Indeed there were a couple of things - my father passing away and being diagnosed as having high blood pressure - I didn't want my Dad looking down on me uselessly puffing away like a big loser. But the main reason for my quitting success was that I came to realise and accept that I no longer enjoyed anything to do with the habit - it had simply become an expensive sleeping pill.

To this day I am certain that the "hatred" for pot that I had developed was by far the main reason that I ended up finding it relatively easy to quit with a minimum of withdrawal symptoms. In the beginning, it was difficult to get to sleep at nights but that lasted only about a week or so. Apart from that, it was pretty much plain sailing and I never relapsed or looked back.
HDog455
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:33 am
Location: Australia
Likes Received: 89

#13

Postby tokeless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 am

HDog455,
The main reason you give was pretty much the same as mine. I just got bored of it, the anxiety of making sure I could get some, even before running out. There were other deeper reasons like my children coming first but I think once you're done with the affair it easier to end it.... No PAWS, just stopped and it was a great thing to do.
Best wishes
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 261

#14

Postby leavepawsbehind » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11 pm

akidual wrote:I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with poor circulation during PAWS? My feet stay really cold even if I bundle up with socks and clothes.

My feet were inexplicably cold at the beginning of PAWS for about 2 months. This was happening along with other sensory issues, like pins and needles, numbness, etc. It went back to normal and hasn't happened since (I'm 2 years sober).
leavepawsbehind
Full Member
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Likes Received: 30


Next

Return to Addictions