Still dealing with insomnia, but am I almost there?

Postby whathaveidone » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi,

It's day 45 for me, I was an on and off stoner for most of last year and really picked up the intensity in the last months of 2019.

After a suprisingly hellish withdrawal all my symptoms are gone, except for the insomnia (and the anxiety that comes with it). I'm finally sleeping 5-8 hours consistently, but I do wake up a few times per night, and sleep doesn't feel like sleep (it sometimes feels like I'm just lying there awake with my eyes closed).

I'm trying to keep it natural, without sleep aids except for a bit of melatonin (less that 1mg). I'm exercising and keeping good sleep hygiene.

How much longer though? When did sleep start to feel normal for you? Am I almost there?
whathaveidone

Likes Received: 1

Postby SparkleFly12 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Unfortunately everyone's body is different and reacts differently...so comparing to others isnt always the best way to judge.

That said, I am at 11.5 months and still not sleeping normally; but my sleep has improved dramatically. I was where you are at a couple months ago; but in recent weeks I do get 6-8hrs of sleep and only wake up prematurely and cant fall asleep a couple times a week. But, my sleep still isnt that good; about half of days I still feel tired in the morning. Ive stopped trying to put a clock on my symptoms going away; unfortunately trying to predict has just left me dissapointed so Im just going with it.

I think the important thing is that you are moving in the right direction.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 30

Postby Cthompson21 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:11 pm

What sparklefly said is true. I've far along and 6 hours at a time is really great. Since having PAWS I have never slept longer than 6 hours ish. It will get better over time. For me, weight lifting a few hours before bed really makes a difference. Taking naps that are short and not napping after three o clock. And look up sleep hygiene. Things like these will help you along the way. Best to you!
Cthompson21

Likes Received: 58

Postby leavepawsbehind » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:44 am

My sleep has been relatively normal after being sober one year. I make sure to limit caffeine to before noon, usually no more than one cup of half decaf and half regular coffee, and make sure to decompress before bed and to limit the blue light from screens. Keeping the routine and making sure to keep my sleep times and wake times as consistent as possible has helped me keep it straight. I still get waves where my body jolts awake at 4am for no reason, usually I fall asleep soon after but every now and then I can't fall asleep again for 2-3 hours. I've always had trouble with sleep, even before smoking, but my focus on sleep hygiene and really trying to conquer it has been a positive development out of PAWS.
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 32

Postby Bombadil » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Just to reiterate what others have said, everyone is different when it comes to timelines and symptoms, so it's hard to say when you will even out. If you were a light sleeper prior to this or if you smoked to help fall asleep, I think it will take longer to reset than if you were a heavy sleeper and never had issues with sleep prior to PAWS. I am at 8 months and typically get 4-6 hours with as many bad nights as good nights. I was a light sleeper to begin with and part of my THC use was before bed so that I could sleep.

It will get better with time. Good sleep hygiene, diet and exercise are key.
Bombadil

Likes Received: 0

Postby biohack9 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Bombadil wrote:Just to reiterate what others have said, everyone is different when it comes to timelines and symptoms, so it's hard to say when you will even out. If you were a light sleeper prior to this or if you smoked to help fall asleep, I think it will take longer to reset than if you were a heavy sleeper and never had issues with sleep prior to PAWS. I am at 8 months and typically get 4-6 hours with as many bad nights as good nights. I was a light sleeper to begin with and part of my THC use was before bed so that I could sleep.

It will get better with time. Good sleep hygiene, diet and exercise are key.

I think this is why i'll never quit forever.... I used cannabis medicinally for ptsd, insomnia, etc. and when I quit I just get levelled, but still like to cleanse and take breaks to keep my receptors sensitive. Think i've just accepted it, because no way will I enjoy life with 4-6 hours of sleep for a year+. The depression nearly killed me at month 3 last time (6 months ago)
biohack9

Likes Received: 10

Postby Candid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:35 pm

biohack9 wrote:ptsd, insomnia, etc.
4-6 hours of sleep for a year+.
depression

Sounds like Complex PTSD to me. https://www.outofthestorm.website/cptsd-description
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 409

Postby biohack9 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Candid wrote:
biohack9 wrote:ptsd, insomnia, etc.
4-6 hours of sleep for a year+.
depression

Sounds like Complex PTSD to me. https://www.outofthestorm.website/cptsd-description

Correct. I've been diagnosed with CPTSD and Bipolar.
biohack9

Likes Received: 10

Postby izzy95 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

There's a positive line, so keep going to extend it. Daylight is also good for you
izzy95

Likes Received: 0