Did you have to catch up on sleep after all that insomnia?

Postby whathaveidone » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:50 am

I have a random question for those of you who have recovered and can sleep again after a long withdrawal. Did you feel like there was a profound sleep deficit? Did you have to catch up on all those sleepless nights?

Or did your sleep simply regulate?

I guess I can't wait to sleep normal again.
whathaveidone

Likes Received: 1

Postby Eroica » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 am

I still get some sleepless nights after 9 months but Im getting about 7 hours every night and it feels so good. So to answer your question, i didnt make up my sleep deficit because most nights until about month 5 I wasnt getting much sleep.

Youll be fine. The sleep thing will resolve for you. Nothing bad will happen because youre in a sleep deficit. It seems really hard right now but it will slowly get better. Eventually, youll see that most nights youll be getting 5 plus hours, then 6 plus hours. Just dont smoke again and try to avoid sleep meds if you can.
Eroica

Likes Received: 4

Postby olympus92 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:20 am

Man when I went through it all there was a run during a week when I had a wave of paws and slept most days and nights like it was sh** now if I get less than 8 hrs I feel off when I use to have 6 and be alright
olympus92

Postby SparkleFly12 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Almost at a year...didnt sleep well for more than a day until the last couple weeks; and even now its only 1/3 the time.

It even doesnt seem to matter how long I sleep as much as how good the sleep is; sometimes I get 6 but feel okay; others Ill get 8; but wake up a bunch of times and feel drained the next day. Better than the first few months though; started at ~2hrs and increased slowly and plateaued at 6hrs after 6mo or so...finally getting more than 6 now on some days.

Related to the original question: No, I dont think you have to catch up all that lost sleep. You do to some extent - but not nearly as much as you would to make up all of it. On good days, I sleep 8-10 hrs if I didnt sleep well the few nights before; but it doesnt change that much if I slept bad the last 3 nights vs the last 15 nights - I sleep the same amount to catch up.
SparkleFly12

Likes Received: 25

Postby leavepawsbehind » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 pm

After my worst insomnia, I did go through a stage of sleeping for 9-10 hours a day and never feeling completely rested. Finally went away though and my sleep has been normal since, although I occasionally have a few days here and there where I have trouble sleeping. I occasionally had trouble sleeping before I ever smoked marijuana or went through withdrawal though :)
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 30