Thank you

Postby PAWSsurvivor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:58 pm

All I want to say today, is thank you.

I'm glad this forum exists and you are all around. It's comforting I can drop in here for some support and reinforcement. And to not feel alone.

Getting close to 10 months sober for me. I'll maybe write a little more when I'm officially 10 months. The trend is better, but it's still a daily problem. And some days I handle it better than others. I'm living a healthy life though, so after that I know it's out of my hands. Let the body take care of itself. And be kind to oneself especially on harder days.

I wish you all well on your healing journeys.
PAWSsurvivor

Likes Received: 16

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 am

Only 26 months to go!
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1136

Postby Nelson80 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm

PAWSSurvivor
10 months! Thats an amazing accomplishment. You're setting yourself up for success in your future. You're obviously committed to changing your life. I know withdrawal symptoms can be a challenge but as you said our bodies have the ability to heal. Focus on the positive and keep pushing forward, taking it one day at a time as they say. Best of luck to you.

(Edited for spelling)
Nelson80
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 10

Postby PAWSsurvivor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you Nelson. The hardest year of my life. :) But I'm trying to learn to love myself again, come to terms with my past. Maybe I'll be my old self again. Maybe not. I read a good quote "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom". Trying to learn, and re-engage with my heart while i heal my brain.

I hope you are doing ok. :)
PAWSsurvivor

Postby Nelson80 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:54 pm

PAWSSurvivor.

I'm doing ok, merely 24 and some hours in though so I have a lot of recovery ahead of me. I quit booze over two years ago, and was very successful with that. My plan is to apply what I've learned with that to my weed recovery. I'm starting to get jumpy and irritated easily so I need to flex my relaxation techniques lol

Maybe the "old you" isn't the best destination or goal, I think you need to define a new you, a new you that has recovered from weed, a new you that has different goals and a different outlook. You're not suffering because you are "lacking" weed, you gave yourself a gift of being free from something that was bringing you down. For me, with booze, that is one approach that I took. I saw alcohol for all the negative that it was bringing to my life and stopped focusing on the positive aspects. There certainly were some valid positive aspects but they were far outweighed by the negatives ones, by a long shot. The mind is flexible and trainable. I hope you can find a way to harness your strength and apply it to your new found (sober) life.
Nelson80
Preferred Member

Postby Nelson80 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Only 26 months to go!

Only 26 months to go until what?
Nelson80
Preferred Member

Postby PAWSsurvivor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Totally, I won't go into great detail here. The hard part for me is that I didn't use it very long. So i keep wondering why I was so unlucky / ignorant of what it and my actions have done? It feels like I was speeding in a car once, even though I was a good driver for the rest of my life, and then rolled the car on that one time. I'm learning to realize that I shouldn't blame myself. The reasons for our journey's in life only make sense in hind sight. I'm happy to be sober, and I'm glad nothing worse happened, andI hope that one day I'll feel physically like my old self, but if not I'll cope.

Just so you know, Richard doesn't like me so much. We had an argument earlier. I'm trying to also let that go. He's referring to a healing timeline because I feel I have PAWS. Regardless, I don't plan to interact with him as he's not being part of the healing solution at all. I'd also hope to avoid any more debate about the topic. It doesn't really matter what I "have" anymore. Every forum / website I go to with people suffering from long term health problems after ending a substance or having a brain injury acknowledge that time is primary factor in healing, along with sleep and good eating / living habits. Time can be 3-6 months to a lifetime, though most people seem to have a solid turnaround after 2-3 years. So thats what he's referring to. I honestly think PAWS and brain injury go hand in hand. There's something called Post Concussion Syndrome. Same deal, with lots of similarities.

I'll just keep doing what i can do with this new life I have. Good luck to you as you quit. I hope it goes well for you. People are here for you if you need it.

Have a great day.
PAWSsurvivor

Return to Addictions