Finding Yourself

Postby davidbanner99@ » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:52 pm

This was the most important step I learned - the hard way. It took me many years to learn it. Strangely, adopting a fairly wild and insecure German Shepherd Dog really taught me a lot about acceptance. That is, dogs will love you unconditionally, despite your defects. Dogs will see beyond mere appearance and seek out a deeper bond.

The thing about self image is that ultimately self belief must be a personal, relaxed decision. You accept yourself with the knowledge you have many flaws. I can list my own. They are not pleasant but, then again, I have my good points too.

Where we really go astray is when we become pressured to be what society imposes. Such as successful, rich, a winner and so forth. Expectations are forced on you to pass exams, date attractive girls, drive a big car.

Personally, that isn't what mattered to me, although that took some years to work out. So far as education goes, that too was a personal desire to learn on my part and not just cramming to pass an exam.

At some point I heard of Jiddu Krishnamurti who was a popular Indian philosopher in the 1970s. Note, he was not a cult leader but simply a philosophy figure. His philosophy was based on the need to find yourself. There was even a film made starring David Carradine called The Silent Flute. Anyway here are some quotes:

"In oneself lies the whole world and if you know how to look and learn, the door is there and the key is in your hand. Nobody on earth can give you either the key or the door to open, except yourself. "Krishnamurti

"Most persons are so absorbed in the contemplation of the outside world that they are wholly oblivious to what is passing on within themselves." Nichola Tesla

"It is not people who break ethical standards who are regarded as aliens. It is people like me who are isolated." Grigory Perelman
davidbanner99@

Likes Received: 0