What to expect when quitting marijuana - PAWS timeline

Postby Michellebrowne.24 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:58 pm

[quote="Boguy"] wow 2years is a long time I hope it goes before then or gets atleast slightly better
Michellebrowne.24

Likes Received: 2

Postby FAITH » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Michelle, take heart, it gets better. Yesterday I mentioned that in bed upon waking I was having some palpitations. In the past after quitting weed, when I would have these feelings upon waking, they would be all day long, regular throughout the day. Yesterday, after the day went on I only had very few here and there. They are lessening as time passes. Also my sleep is improving. I’m not taking anything now as far as the ambien or melatonin. I don’t know if improvements in sleep are helping the palpitations, or the lessening of the palpitations are helping my sleep. Or if this whole PAWS thing is gradually subsiding and I’m returning to my old self; which I suspect is the case. I see improvements not only in my sleep and heart issues, but also in other areas like eating, stomach issues, overall general attitude, and a few other areas. In 8 days I’ll have 7 months behind me. I just want to encourage you. I hope your palpating are subsiding and not causing you too much stress. PAWS or whatever it is, I’m coming out of it. Thanks and take care of yourself, and stay away from weed. Let me know if I can help. I plan to continue to update and encourage anybody I can.
FAITH

Likes Received: 12

Postby samalam47 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:50 am

Hi everyone :) I just found this forum while searching for withdrawal symptoms. I smoked daily for 12 years and decided to quit 25th Jan 2021. I feel horrifically depressed rn and it SUCKS! But it's so good to know that others experience it too and it's totally normal phew! I downloaded the app called I Am Sober and it's been an absolute lifesaver. I definitely would have fallen back into old habits if it weren't for this handy lil app! I guess I just feel extra sad today because I actually got rid of all smoking material and paraphernalia around the house yesterday. I really feel like I'm going through the toughest breakup of my life urgh. But I'm so glad that support is available online. It's really changed how I deal with my addiction. It means I'm reaching out instead of bawling my eyes out in bed and more than likely just going back to it again because the pain is just too much. Thanks to everyone who jumps online to support others in their time of need!
samalam47

Likes Received: 0

Postby tokeless » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:42 am

Hi,
Firstly, well done on choosing to stop weed. What you're feeling now is completely normal and the analogy with a break up is quite accurate. When we use drugs we develop a relationship with the substance, it's the fun times, the go to when up or down and we rely on it every day. Hence, when we choose to end that relationship we will feel sad, even grieve for it. We may doubt our decision, think of the good times and reminisce, which is often linked with relapse. Ask yourself why you ended it, was it making you happy anymore and why would that change going back? Familiarity is all, you know it, understand what you'll get from it etc.... just accept it's done and live as a non smoker.
Good luck, but you don't need luck, just make good choices.
tokeless

Likes Received: 333

Postby Dale_znovic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:12 am

cheers to everyone who is trying hard to quit marujiana
Dale_znovic

Likes Received: 1

Postby jaysauce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 pm

I've smoked for about 2-3 years consistently and the only times I stopped was when I went on a plane to other states so I couldn't access marijuana but I never struggled in those times

3-17-21 - I Buy a new bong that is bigger than the previous one and I smoked W33d out of it that I've previously smoked days before.

After like 10 minutes I get this weird feeling in the back of my head tingling and then my heart is racing and then I start shivering really bad. I was pretty much convinced that I was having a shroom trip because it was like the exact feeling. I end up going to sleep fine with melatonin.

3-18-22 - I wake up fine and go to college class like it never happened even though I told myself never again with that pipe. I end up going to buy a Treetop hemp bar that's CBD with very little THC and I take a hit and start to feel like I did the day before. I thought to myself maybe it isn't the pipe and smoking just triggers it.

Days later I still felt the same and I've gone to a Doctor and they only gave me medication and I've stopped smoking from how traumatizing of an experience it was.

Now - I spoke to a psychiatrist and she basically said I have anxiety and she prescribed Fluoxetine but I'm not sure about taking it.
My dreams have been super vivid and sometimes when I wake up from sleeping at night and sometimes it's hard to go back to sleep
I'm not sure whether the symptoms are from the withdrawal or just triggering it from smoking.
I've been sweating like crazy almost every day from exercising and drinking only water and I'm willing to do anything to get better.
jaysauce

Postby tokeless » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Give it time. I agree it's anxiety related as are the vast majority of symptoms on here. When you're preoccupied with your worries, everything and anything can feel real. Time and focusing on other things will help.
tokeless

Likes Received: 333

Postby Bootstrap » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:16 pm

I stopped cold turkey on December 7 2020 first month was hell 2nd month was even worse 3rd month was better but my mind was driving me crazy then bizarrely on 7th of April I woke up and everything disappeared, been so happy the last three days it’s unexplainable!
Bootstrap

Postby Bootstrap » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm

I stopped cold turkey on December 7 2020 first month was hell 2nd month was even worse 3rd month was better but my mind was driving me crazy then bizarrely on 7th of April I woke up and everything disappeared, been so happy the last three days it’s unexplainable!
Bootstrap

Postby Luna824 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:29 pm

jaysauce wrote:I've smoked for about 2-3 years consistently and the only times I stopped was when I went on a plane to other states so I couldn't access marijuana but I never struggled in those times

3-17-21 - I Buy a new bong that is bigger than the previous one and I smoked W33d out of it that I've previously smoked days before.

After like 10 minutes I get this weird feeling in the back of my head tingling and then my heart is racing and then I start shivering really bad. I was pretty much convinced that I was having a shroom trip because it was like the exact feeling. I end up going to sleep fine with melatonin.

3-18-22 - I wake up fine and go to college class like it never happened even though I told myself never again with that pipe. I end up going to buy a Treetop hemp bar that's CBD with very little THC and I take a hit and start to feel like I did the day before. I thought to myself maybe it isn't the pipe and smoking just triggers it.

Days later I still felt the same and I've gone to a Doctor and they only gave me medication and I've stopped smoking from how traumatizing of an experience it was.

Now - I spoke to a psychiatrist and she basically said I have anxiety and she prescribed Fluoxetine but I'm not sure about taking it.
My dreams have been super vivid and sometimes when I wake up from sleeping at night and sometimes it's hard to go back to sleep
I'm not sure whether the symptoms are from the withdrawal or just triggering it from smoking.
I've been sweating like crazy almost every day from exercising and drinking only water and I'm willing to do anything to get better.

Hey man. I had a similar experience. I smoked weed/dab for about 2 years straight. The last 6 months or so I was pretty much high 70% of the day. About 2 weeks prior to quitting I started having weird anxiety attacks while high. The very last day I smoked I took 2 hits of dab (I built a pretty good tolerance so 2 hits should of been nothing) and I completely panicked. I basically had to keep reminding myself to breath, I thought I was going to die. I literally had no control over my body and mind. It was the scariest feeling. That day I quit cold turkey and the first 2 weeks was fine. But then after 2 weeks I had a major anxiety/panic attack which lasted a few more. Anyways so far I’ve been ok. The anxiety comes in waves. How have you been feeling/doing?
Luna824

Likes Received: 1

Postby jaysauce » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

hey luna 824, yea I've definitely gotten better since then and it's been a month since I've stopped and I tried to drink a little bit of wine and I felt weird again so I threw it up and I just decided to quit alcohol smoking and caffeine which sucks cause I was basically using it all and it is 4/20 today so it reminds me of the times that I felt completely ok and I just wanna be able to smoke again in the future even though my priority is to get completely sober for a year or longer. I just find it weird how smoking did this to me when I've never had an issue like this and built a pretty high tolerance and what it has taught me is that everything in life has to be done in moderation. you should have a limit to everything you do in life
jaysauce

Postby Jalakee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 pm

PAWS is a very difficult thing to go through and I cannot overstate how profound it was for me. I dont really talk about it unless with other PAWS sufferers or a MH professional. It comes off as melodramatic and it's nearly impossible to convey to someone who hasnt been there.

I would agree with your general timeline, Bruce. That held true for me.

However, at over 2 years now sometimes I wonder if it is truly gone, or if my brain is just changed? I often find myself inexplicably depressed for no apparent reason; or at least for reasons not in proportion to the feeling itself.

I felt at just over 18 months my PAWS was gone for good, and I believed that in my heart. However, the past 6 months have had a number of major stressors and my reaction to them, after the fact, has been very reminiscent of PAWS. I havent touched weed in 27 months, I use no other substances, I'm in therapy twice monthly, and I take care of myself. It's tough to know when to cross the bridge of "do I need medication?", or just more time. It would seem to me 2+ years is more than enough time to get over it.

I dont want to take hope away form anyone who is early into their PAWS because I dont think my case is typical, so dont use me as a benchmark.
Jalakee

Likes Received: 3

Postby BruceLeeroy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:46 am

Jalakee, congrats on over 2 years. So many can only wish they were in your shoes, including myself. However you're feeling now, I'm sure it can't compare to the first few months of pain. From reading the experiences of others in here, you are so close to victory. It seems PAWS likes to sneak back for one final hurrah in year 2, which sounds like what you may be going through. Once over that hump, you'll get back to normal.

Fantastic job you're doing. You are almost there! Thank you for being an inspiration to us. I'm rooting for you to cross that finish line!
BruceLeeroy

Likes Received: 6

Postby Brokethehabit » Thu May 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Jalakee wrote:I dont really talk about it unless with other PAWS sufferers or a MH professional. It comes off as melodramatic and it's nearly impossible to convey to someone who hasnt been there.

Exact same experience here.

Jalakee wrote:I felt at just over 18 months my PAWS was gone for good, and I believed that in my heart. However, the past 6 months...

What has been your longest period of no paws?
Btw congratulations on the 27 months!
Brokethehabit

Previous