Fed up.

Postby hazydaze » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Hey everyone! My first time here. I'm an alcoholic and I'm 29 years old. I quit drinking when I was I was 23 and made it for over 5 years.. I relapsed in October 2019. I wasn't drinking straight thru until not, but I was using alcohol in a harmful way and there were certainly a couple benders. I quit again on December 2nd, 2020 and relapsed yesterday. I've had a bit today but not much. Not planning on keeping it going for a long time but.. I do have a bottle left and want to drink it. I'm just so ****ing mad :( Not at myself. At this *****mn bu****** of a society. I live in Canada and drinking is ENCOURAGED! I virtually can't watch a show, can't go for a drive, can't hang out with people, without ****ing booze being involved!!! My partner is extremely supportive and doesn't drink, and I should be more grateful. But, as I'm sure any other alcoholic here knows (and I'm not trying to belittle other addictions but) we are the only ones who are addicted to one of two substances in the WORLD that can kill you from the withdrawal, and it is not only normalized - it's encouraged, there's a store on every other corner where you can legally go purchase this **** that is going to kill you, and who care cause the government makes money. It is constantly thrown in our face and at this point, I'm so angry I feel like I could burst :(
hazydaze

Likes Received: 1

Postby tokeless » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi,
Alcohol is a strange beast indeed. It's encouraged and promoted as fun and a thing to do like a rite of passage. My question with all substances is what role does it fulfill for you. What do you drink for?
tokeless

Likes Received: 312

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 pm

hazydaze wrote: I'm just so ****ing mad :( Not at myself. At this *****mn bu****** of a society. I live in Canada and drinking is ENCOURAGED!

You made it 5 years sober! Did Canada do that? Or was it you? Be proud of what YOU did, what you accomplished. Take credit that you, for 5 friggin years, chose not to drink. Maybe you had a bit of support, but ultimately you were the one that had to not put the bottle to your lips. It wasn't society, it wasn't Canada, it was you. And if you want to be sober again, you can do it.

I lived in Las Vegas. Not only is drinking highly encouraged, so is gambling, drugs, hookers, food, and any other form of hedonistic pleasure you can imagine. The city never sleeps.

I made some bad decisions in Las Vegas. Should I be mad at Las Vegas, mad at society because they encourage, promote, and profit from hedonism?

Nope.

I was an adult. A full-grown, mature, member of society that made my choices. I suffered the consequences of my choices. No one was to blame except me.

One year I was hit by a drunk driver. I spent 4-hours on an operating table. Blame Las Vegas, blame society?

Nope. I 100% blame the guy behind the wheel.

All of the above is to say your anger is misplaced. You could make the same argument, and people often do, blaming McDonalds and society for obesity. All of the commercials and abundance of food, the person says, "I'm so mad at society. How dare they encourage, promote, and profit by constantly pushing french fries, donuts, and triple mocha hot chocolate with whipped cream!" Canada should stop McDonalds, right?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1164

Postby Wave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

hazydaze wrote:I quit drinking when I was I was 23 and made it for over 5 years.. I relapsed in October 2019.

I am so sorry to hear that. I am back here to quit cannabis (again :roll:) but just over two years ago I quit alcohol and it was one of the best decisions of my life. My alcohol use was nothing like my cannabis use but alcohol would lead me to constantly do impulsive stuff and the hangovers would be horrendous.

You managed to quit for 5 years so you know you can do it again!

hazydaze wrote:I live in Canada and drinking is ENCOURAGED! I virtually can't watch a show, can't go for a drive, can't hang out with people, without ****ing booze being involved!!! My partner is extremely supportive and doesn't drink, and I should be more grateful.

I live in the UK and it is also terrible for the booze culture that is everywhere. The amount I save but not drinking is loads and is so nice to be on a night out and be sober and in control, just need to tackle my last (and worst) addiction of cannabis.

How are you getting on currently?
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 217

Return to Addictions