Weed and memory

Postby kaldizz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I've been smoking weed every day for around 4 years. I used to have an amazing memory, when I wanted to remember something I always would. Now I find it difficult to remember things, not to the point where it effects my life or is noticeable but I notice it and I know my capabilities to learn and develop has been hindered. What I'm really hoping for here is reassurance. I'm hoping there's someone else here with heavy long term usage of weed and has quit, if so I want to know if the damage to your short term memory was permanent or did your brain rewire itself and restore your short term memory? Thank you for any input on this, shits scary right now for me.
kaldizz

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:51 pm

If you stop memory will return in a few weeks.

http://taadas.s3.amazonaws.com/files/0d ... juana1.pdf

"...a study of 129 college students found that among heavy users of marijuana those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the preceding 30 days, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after they had not used the drug for at least 24 hours. The heavy marijuana users in the study had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had used marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana once daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time. More recently, the same researchers showed that a group of long-term heavy marijuana users’ ability to recall words from a list was impaired 1 week following cessation of marijuana use, but returned to normal by 4 weeks. An implication of this finding is that even after long-term heavy marijuana use, if an individual quits marijuana use, some cognitive abilities may be recovered."

You should quit. There are some long term negative impacts of using marijuana. But be careful not to fall into the PAWS trap, where you suffer self-induced debilitating stress because of how you believe marijuana has screwed you up. If you stop, your memory will come back. But if stay scared and don't find the reassurance then the fear can be as much if not more an enemy than the actual substance. If you stop, the chemicals will leave your body, your body will heal, your memory will return, and you will be fine.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1174

Postby kaldizz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Thank you for the reassurance. I hate these studies cause they always seem so vague to me. "some cognitive abilities may be recovered". Whilst I know my memory will improve I want to understand an longtime users experience with this after quitting. Whilst it's anecdotal I feel that is a stronger basis than the current studies out there. They either aren't specific enough or there isn't much insight on the outcomes. I ry appreciate your advice, thank you.
kaldizz

Postby tokeless » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:21 pm

35 years daily pretty much. No memory issues I can think of outside of the normal not paying attention, therefore brain doesn't recognise what was said or done, hence forgotten.
The thing to remember (no pun intended) is that we all vary in effects and outcomes. Just don't try and make it harder by convincing yourself that you have damaged yourself and won't recover... many on here will convince you they have.
tokeless

Likes Received: 323

Postby kaldizz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Thank you pal. Idk im still a bit concerned but Im not too worried about it. Even if I have caused permanent damage its nothing heavy, I still tend to be quite quick intellectually. The thought of this sensation Ive described being worse is a scary one but it sounds as though any damage I've done is only going to be amplified by anxiety.
kaldizz

Postby tokeless » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Anxiety is a symptom not an illness in itself imo.. when you think you have done something to yourself you create worry which can lead to anxiety. That feeds the loop thinking and is very good at convincing you it must be real otherwise why have xyz?
Just accept it is temporary and live your life without focusing on what has passed... if you can't change it, why worry about it?
tokeless

Postby Charles Swann » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:18 pm

If you stay straight your memory will return, although you won't be able to remember much of what happened in your stoned years.
Charles Swann

Likes Received: 6

Postby tokeless » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Charles Swann wrote:If you stay straight your memory will return, although you won't be able to remember much of what happened in your stoned years.

Strange thing is, I can remember my very first joint, first trip to Amsterdam and many, many memories whilst smoking weed. We are all different. I think if you have good experiences you have a good memory for them.
tokeless

Postby Boguy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm

No it's not, I always misplaced my keys whilst high, occasionally sometimes now I still do tho :)
Boguy

Postby Quinnster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:27 am

Every time I’ve quit, my memory has come back. Unfortunately, I always end up going back.
More recently, I quit for a few weeks because my job is quite technical and I just have too many issues doing it well when I smoke daily after work. So one thing I’ve found interesting is that I seem to be able to do edibles in the evening and it doesn’t seem to have nearly the negative memory issues. Not condoning doing it, but I also don’t seem to have any of the other very negative personality/mental health issues that always end up driving me away from smoking pot. Plus no coughing! My dose is fairly low. I’m sure if it was really high, I’d have issues and just get more tolerance anyway.
Quinnster

Likes Received: 19