Visual hypersensitivity

Postby levi38 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi! So my boyfriend had a psychological consultation and was diagnosed with visual hypersensitivity. He never supported the texture of the makeup and the doctors told him that he can panic when he sees makeup. I love make-up and it's a passion of mine. I would not want to give it up and I am looking for a treatment for this condition. What can we do to remedy his hypersensitivity?
levi38
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 pm
Likes Received: 0


#1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:13 pm

levi38 wrote:...and the doctors told him....What can we do to remedy his hypersensitivity?


What did the doctors say?

Normally, when a person is diagnosed they are also given a consultation for possible treatments.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 11334
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1185

#2

Postby levi38 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:16 pm

They said that there is no treatment for this.
levi38
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 pm
Likes Received: 0

#3

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:54 pm

I have a few questions...

-1- When did this hypersensitivity develop? When he was a child? Was it before you started dating and before you even met or when you first met he told you about it right away? Or was it after you began dating, e.g. a few weeks or months later?

-2- Is the visual hypersensitivity only around you at a close distance? I mean, what conditions trigger his hypersensitivity, i.e. can he be within 5 feet of other women with makeup or does he need to close or avert his eyes?

-3- Did you go with him to the doctor? You have first hand knowledge of what the doctor said? You know there is no treatment because you heard the doctor say there is no treatment or it is second hand information, where your boyfriend is the one that told you what the doctor said?

There is a potential treatment, but it depends on the specifics of the case.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 11334
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1185

#4

Postby levi38 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:57 pm

1. This hypersensitivity started when he was in kindergarden. And he always hated make-up and he noticed that when we started dating, he was always feeling sick around me and some month ago he went to a psychologist and psychiatrist and they told him what was actualy going on.
2. If he sees her make-up in a avarage range of sight is enough to get triggered.
3. I was not with him. He said that the doctors were talking about a treatment for amelioration, but he can get cured.
levi38
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 pm
Likes Received: 0

#5

Postby quietvoice » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 pm

levi38 wrote:. . . my boyfriend . . .

I love make-up and it's a passion of mine. I would not want to give it up . . .

levi38 wrote:2. If he sees her make-up in a avarage range of sight is enough to get triggered.
3. . . . he can[not] get cured.

He is a boyfriend.

This almost sounds like a deal-breaker to me. If you won't change how you engage in your passion (or will you?), and there is not anything he can do to change his sensitivities, where is the common ground here?
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2372
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 249

#6

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:39 am

levi38 wrote:1. This hypersensitivity started when he was in kindergarden. And he always hated make-up and he noticed that when we started dating, he was always feeling sick around me and some month ago he went to a psychologist and psychiatrist and they told him what was actualy going on.
2. If he sees her make-up in a avarage range of sight is enough to get triggered.
3. I was not with him. He said that the doctors were talking about a treatment for amelioration, but he can get cured.


Read BOTH parts...

PART 1

There are certain aspects of what you describe that do not seem to fit very well together. This seems like a control issue.

Is there a possibility that your boyfriend does not have a condition and just doesn't want you to wear make-up? Is it possible your boyfriend just does not know how to tell you that he doesn't like that you wear make-up so he has made up a story?

PART 2

Let's assume I am wrong. Assume that Part 1 is inaccurate. He legitimately has this make-up hypersensitivity.

In that case you can use exposure therapy. This is pretty easy to accomplish. You get him to agree to the therapy, which is just exposing him over time to progressively more and more makeup.

You start by wearing ZERO make-up for a week or two. You don't tell him when you will start wearing makeup.

Then, after a few weeks you put on just a minimal, minimal, amount that he cannot detect. Maybe a single bit of rouge that matches your skin tone almost exactly. He will not be able to see it.

Do that for a week.

Each week change to the next tone/shade.

Eventually he will say something. Eventually he will ask, "Are you wearing makeup?"

At that point you explain that you have been wearing makeup for weeks without him noticing.

You then return to not wearing make up for a few weeks. You then start exposure therapy again. Eventually he becomes use to make up.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 11334
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 1185

#7

Postby bawdyheated » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:21 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
levi38 wrote:1. This hypersensitivity started when he was in kindergarden. And he always hated make-up and he noticed that when we started dating, he was always feeling sick around me and some month ago he went to a psychologist and psychiatrist and they told him what was actualy going on.
2. If he sees her make-up in a avarage range of sight is enough to get triggered.
3. I was not with him. He said that the doctors were talking about a treatment for amelioration, but he can get cured.


Read BOTH parts...

PART 1

There are certain aspects of what you describe that do not seem to fit very well together. This seems like a control issue.

Is there a possibility that your boyfriend does not have a condition and just doesn't want you to wear make-up? Is it possible your boyfriend just does not know how to tell you that he doesn't like that you wear make-up so he has made up a story?

PART 2

Let's assume I am wrong. Assume that Part 1 is inaccurate. He legitimately has this make-up hypersensitivity.

In that case you can use exposure therapy. This is pretty easy to accomplish. You get him to agree to the therapy, which is just exposing him over time to progressively more and more makeup.

You start by wearing ZERO make-up for a week or two. You don't tell him when you will start wearing makeup.

Then, after a few weeks you put on just a minimal, minimal, amount that he cannot detect. Maybe a single bit of rouge that matches your skin tone almost exactly. He will not be able to see it.

Do that for a week.

Each week change to the next tone/shade.

Eventually he will say something. Eventually he will ask, "Are you wearing makeup?"

At that point you explain that you have been wearing makeup for weeks without him noticing.

You then return to not wearing make up for a few weeks. You then start exposure therapy again. Eventually he becomes use to make up.

Interesting post, thanks.
bawdyheated
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 am
Likes Received: 5



Return to Psychology