Negative and positive auditory suggestion

Postby Beerus » Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 am

hi guys i am new to the forum and my question is quite simple. So if a negative auditory suggestion such as a loud noise or an abrupt one produces a negative suggestion, which sounds create a positive suggestion? I believe the theme is also inherent to Pavlov's reflections
Beerus

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat May 01, 2021 1:08 pm

What do you mean by negative? Do you mean adrenaline - fear?

A loud or abrupt noise can create a reflexive response, adrenaline floods the body and the person "jumps" prior to identifying the source of the noise. It is part of "threat detection" which is hardwired. It isn't a suggestion. The person has no choice/decision.

A thunder clap is probably the best example in nature. With man made devices there is the flash-bang grenade. The response is automated. Processing of the noise takes a minimum of 100-200 milliseconds. As the person "jumps" they think, "That's thunder!"

The same happens with the other senses, e.g. sight and touch. A person will automatically duck in response to something moving rapidly in their peripheral vision. Or a person will quickly pull their hand away from a hot or sharp object. It takes 100-200 milliseconds to realize the rapid movement was just a harmless fly buzzing. It can take a fraction of a second for a person to realize they are burned or have been cut.

Is this what you mean by negative?

If so, then I would submit that the closest opposite or positive would be adrenaline - elation. If a person is stranded or has been isolated, then the sound of a human voice, or of a man made machine might trigger excitement, hope of rescue. If a person was searching for water, the sound of a bubbling brook might trigger elation. In a similar fashion to the reflexive responses, it would take 100-200 milliseconds to process, but the flow of adrenaline - elation would be automated, unstoppable.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1186

Postby bawdyheated » Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 am

This is an interesting discussion. I'd like to know more.
bawdyheated

Likes Received: 5