Starting my journey to recovery...Potential PAWs case

Postby Mikeyb88 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi guys, first post. I have been reading up on PAWS and never knew it existed until the last week or so. I smoked most of my life since i was 16/17 to now 32. I've quit for just over 4 weeks. I've gotten past the night sweats, insomnia, no appetite, all your standard withdrawls. But the last 2 weeks or so ive had really sore legs and knees. Unsure if its the muscles or the joints or what. Occasionally some twitching in them too. Could this be PAWS? I'm going to be seeing a padiotrist soon but the more i read about PAWS and anxiety (i have bad anxiety, health anxiety ect, real bad) the more i feel they could be the cause. What are the chances do you think?

Cheers.
Michael.
Mikeyb88

Likes Received: 0

Postby WeWillDoThis » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Luna824 wrote:Hey Wewilldothis! Just checking in to see how you’re doing? I’m a few days shy of 7 months sober and feeling indifferent about the situation. I’m thankful I’m able to function and go weeks without a symptom/anxiety attack but also frustrated anytime I feel the slightest anxiety. This entire process has been exhausting. But if I can offer words of encouragement I noticed a huge different after 4 months and I hope you do too! Anyways keep me updated.

Hey Luna! I hope you are continuing to do well. I'm just shy of 5 months and continue to slowly improve. I haven't had a panic attack for a long time, my anxiety is controllable but not perfect. I do think the Lexapro helped to stabilize things but certainly was not a magic bullet. I'm functioning again, as a human, a huband, a son, and most importantly a dad but I'm not where I used to be or where I want to be. I still fell pretty flat at times, still get bouts of anxiety/depression but again I trying to appreciate these things will take time. I'm still seeing my therapist/psychaitrist, they've offered to increase dosage/change meds but I've declined as I want to try to continue to heal on my own. Perhaps I had an underlying condition this whole time, I've always had some anxiety but still just feel different after my initial panic attack nearly 6 months ago. I continue to get out and walk everyday, try to meditate for a few minutes a day (just deep breathing) and just be thankful for not feeling how I felt months ago. Things will continue to improve I believe but I've still got a long road ahead.

I tried to incorporate coffee back, that was a no go, its the decaf life for me for now but I've enjoyed a few beers on the weekends and haven't had any ill effects. Interestingly, my drinking has really cut down since I stopped smoking, I used to have a beer/whiskey most nights that I had a toke, now a sparkling water at night does me just fine.

Again, I hope all is well with you and reach out anytime! I'm also on reddit more often then here but will continue to check in.

@GeorgeM-Thank you soo much for the words of encouragement, by far the hardest thing I've been through, maybe not acutely but this is a marathon of pain/agony but one that will certainly build character. I wish you well.

Take care all and catch up again at 6 months!
-WWDT
WeWillDoThis

Likes Received: 1

Postby WeWillDoThis » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:56 pm

6 Month Update

I just wanted to check-in with the community and provide a 6 month update. I hope you all are doing well, especially those that have checked in...Luna, PowerofMyMind, etc...

I've been having better days the last few weeks, my anxiety is subsiding, my emotions/depression is stabilizing, I'm a bit more motivated again and have enjoyed some days. I'm still continuing to take my anti-depressants but plan on tapering off in the near future. I've also continued to meet with my therapist which I think has been a help in navigating all of this. She's recommended I be formally tested for ADHD as it may have contributed for my need for weed. I know my journey isn't over yet, I still have areas to grow and still experience anxiety/depression in much smaller doses but don't quite feel at baseline yet.

Anyway, I'm happy to report the worst seems to be over, although I'll remain on guard for a potential wave in the future. I wish everyone the best in their recovery. Take care all.

-WWDT
WeWillDoThis

Likes Received: 1

Previous