Mental regulation

Postby rgsq » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:34 am

I would like to share with you here an extremely simple discipline that I have developed and which seems to have made me more serene and more orderly in my life.

It consists in taking the reflex, when one feels confused, to resolve the doubt that is at the origin of it.

This prevents having drops in mood because everything remains under control, as soon as a doubt appears, it is treated (it quickly becomes natural). Otherwise it is forgotten but thrives in the subconscious, and eventually the accumulation of untreated doubts degrades the mood.

In conclusion, entering into this logic of systematic resolution of doubts (by periodically reminding yourself to refuse the feeling of confusion) allows you to remain calm and keep control in your life by escaping the factor of intellectual laziness.

I have noticed that since I started practicing this method, my days are more under control, less escapes me and I feel more serene. So don't hesitate to test it and tell me what you thought!
rgsq
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am
Likes Received: 0


#1

Postby Candid » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am

Please read the forum rules re. Multiple Posts

Post a topic only once. Do not post the same topic in multiple forums, or more than once in the same forum. Multiple posts are unnecessary and will be deleted.
If no one responds to your post, just post a reply to your original thread to bring the message to the top of the list so members can notice it.
Candid
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 9603
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 am
Likes Received: 485

#2

Postby quietvoice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:21 pm

rgsq wrote:It consists in taking the reflex, when one feels confused, to resolve the doubt that is at the origin of it.

What if one doesn't know how to resolve the doubt?

Are you saying that all (your) doubts are resolvable?
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 285

#3

Postby Leo Volont » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:42 pm

No, you are not resolving doubts! You are just dismissing them, yeah, decisively dismissing them with a kind of internal "I made up my mind, Children, and there will be no further discussion... not eat your vegetables!". You see, if you were high functioning human being, you would know that our Intellectual Model of the World operating around us is comprised of generalized assumptions, inferences, which often have a high probability of conforming to the actual reality, but NOBODY can be sure. We don't know all the particulars, do we? What!? are you saying that You Talk To God and He answers all your Doubts for you? And doesn't you Absolute Certainty ever bring you into conflict with others? YEAH! We can see why YOU'RE visiting an Anger Management Forum. Really, one of the things that gets Angry People into trouble a lot is OUR insistence of OUR Version of Modelled Reality over those of others... you know, the I AM RIGHT AND GOOD AND YOU ARE WRONG AND BAD argument that gets heated with ourselves taking ourselves very seriously, and everybody else filing paperwork against us at HR, or taking us off Invitation Lists, or scrubbing Wedding Plans. Yeah, one of the Things that is GOOD for the Person Given to Anger is to learn to lighten up and ACCEPT that there is a HUGE Area of Doubt in even the Best Kept Intellectual Models of Reality. The Best of us Know how much it is UNLIKELY that we don't know. There were Psychological Studies. They pointed to the conclusion that when there is some serious debacle in the office of the shop floor, and that one person is clearly responsible, that the others will attribute that FAILURE to a Character Flaw, a Personal Weakness, that the person is inherently some LOSER. But when you ASK the person what went wrong, well, then you get excuses about unfortunate and unforeseeable events and accidents occurring. And, really, I've TRIED to read minds and judge people simply given their present conditions, but it is amazing how WRONG I can be, and I'M SMART! So we can only imagine what a great job YOU'RE doing, but being Sure of Everything. Really, how many people hate you. If you can control your own Anger, well, there are some people who have the odd Anger Management Problem of being calm themselves but pissing everybody else off. Are you some kind of a gleeful and sadistic 'Button Pusher"... "Trigger Puller"?
User avatar
Leo Volont
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am
Likes Received: 144

#4

Postby rgsq » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am

first of all thank you for this very rich answer, I enjoyed reading you! that said when I speak of doubts (which I should have clarified) I am speaking of the doubts that we can meet in everyday life and which prevent us from remaining confident, doubts which only concern ourselves therefore who cannot put us in conflict with others. As for example the doubt: what movie I could watch tonight? Sometimes ideas cross our heads but we are too lazy to process them to the end, which gives a bitter taste when we make our choice because we feel like we could have chosen better. The idea is therefore to make sure that everything stays clear by putting pressure on yourself when something escapes you (another example: do I add this ingredient to my shopping list? The problem can remain in the background s 'it is not treated to the end and unconsciously make you in a bad mood). I noticed that when I ruminate it's because I'm trying to run away from a problem specific to the present moment, that's where the idea started!
rgsq
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am
Likes Received: 0

#5

Postby Leo Volont » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:51 pm

rgsq wrote:first of all thank you for this very rich answer, I enjoyed reading you! that said when I speak of doubts (which I should have clarified) I am speaking of the doubts that we can meet in everyday life and which prevent us from remaining confident, doubts which only concern ourselves therefore who cannot put us in conflict with others. As for example the doubt: what movie I could watch tonight? Sometimes ideas cross our heads but we are too lazy to process them to the end, which gives a bitter taste when we make our choice because we feel like we could have chosen better. The idea is therefore to make sure that everything stays clear by putting pressure on yourself when something escapes you (another example: do I add this ingredient to my shopping list? The problem can remain in the background s 'it is not treated to the end and unconsciously make you in a bad mood). I noticed that when I ruminate it's because I'm trying to run away from a problem specific to the present moment, that's where the idea started!


Good Morning Rgsq, Well, good... we're getting down to details. So, yes, were were talking about hesitations and indecisiveness. Yes, although we are limited to an inherently Unknowable Universe, in many particulars, that is, well, we still must have the Gamblers Courage to make our bets in hope of Winning, or take losing like Gentleman. But, really, where we see the most indecisiveness and indecision is among people who've lost confidence in themselves. It can easily happen. The person who makes two or three disastrous life decisions in a row will be in a state of kind of Shell Shock.. Post Traumatic Stress, in modern parlance.

But, you know, we have another Paradox in the offings: you know how they talk about people who have "Impulse Control" issues. That actually means that it is NOW a problem when people DON'T hesitate and have self-doubts. Yeah, Modern Society is really ready to issue these kind of "Damned If You Do and Damned If You Don't" verdicts on our behaviors.

Yeah, just the other day I published a new Video Series on YouTube, "The White Light Paramahamsa Swan Dream", and I was talking about Intuition and Intuitive Flashes, really in the context of Artistic Endeavors and the kind of stuff that people practice doing well. And in my discussion on Intuitive Flashes I was saying that it was imperative to NOT hesitate when one gets an Intuitive Flash, that one must simply DO IT. And Intuitive Flash is really a kind of Plan for the next 5 to 15 seconds and, really, you NEED to jump right in. Musicians, Athletes, Dancers, Marksman... all those people. BUT I saw how I let myself in for criticism by those who suppose I've entirely set back the work of those trying to get people to do a little bit of Impulse Control.

Yeah, that means ME, when I'm wearing my Anger Management Hat. But, yes, some people have been seriously raised dysfunctionally, where all the Role Modeling was NOT WHAT TO DO. And so these Dysfunctional People actually have ADAPTIVE behavior, but for unique idiosyncratic social domains, you know, their Screwed Up Homes when they were growing up. So, yeah, in Anger Management, when we see Dysfunctional Adaptation, well, the FIX, at first, is to try to INSTILL hesitation. THEN there needs to be a Rebuild of the Behavior Patterns. Angry People need to get a sense of what a Functional Environment looks and feels like and then Rehearse and Practice Practice Practice a new set of INSTANT Responses... and with long enough practice, then Intuitive Flashes would cover for unique situations that require a unique response.

But, yeah, Life's Complicated, isn't it? Yeah, take care Rgsq. Let me know what you think.
User avatar
Leo Volont
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am
Likes Received: 144

#6

Postby rgsq » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm

I see that you have been able to target my personality ahah, I have difficulties to assert myself in general and this concept undoubtedly emanates in part from that, even if it is intended to be more general.

So I think I have the opposite problem of yours, but if I posted this topic, it's because I consider that the fact of artificially creating a regulation of one's doubts can help people who have trouble making decisions. than people who have trouble controlling them. Unless I'm wrong, if you force yourself to bring interest to your doubts, it should slow down the decision-making process (by better weighing the risks and the benefits) and thus make you less impulsive, right?

If not, when you talk about dysfunctional people, what kind of dysfunctionality are you talking about?

Very interesting the subject of intuitive flashes, and especially for a person like me who finds it difficult to get started sometimes, learning to use his impulses to realize himself in something seems something essential, thank you for sharing the video, I find that you have a very good feeling for discussing the themes that are important to you! But for my case, the problem would be more: how to go to the end of what I undertake (if you have a method to pass me ahah!)
rgsq
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am
Likes Received: 0

#7

Postby Leo Volont » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:40 pm

rgsq wrote:I see that you have been able to target my personality ahah, I have difficulties to assert myself in general and this concept undoubtedly emanates in part from that, even if it is intended to be more general.

So I think I have the opposite problem of yours, but if I posted this topic, it's because I consider that the fact of artificially creating a regulation of one's doubts can help people who have trouble making decisions. than people who have trouble controlling them. Unless I'm wrong, if you force yourself to bring interest to your doubts, it should slow down the decision-making process (by better weighing the risks and the benefits) and thus make you less impulsive, right?

If not, when you talk about dysfunctional people, what kind of dysfunctionality are you talking about?

Very interesting the subject of intuitive flashes, and especially for a person like me who finds it difficult to get started sometimes, learning to use his impulses to realize himself in something seems something essential, thank you for sharing the video, I find that you have a very good feeling for discussing the themes that are important to you! But for my case, the problem would be more: how to go to the end of what I undertake (if you have a method to pass me ahah!)


Good Morning Rgsq,

yeah, you make a good point. I would suppose that a lot of indecisive stagnating people are stuck because of their feelings, but that if they forced themselves into thinking, well, then they could arrive at a place where they couldn't avoid making a decision.

Oh, you asked about dysfunctions, well, actually anything that works out with negative consequences is a "dysfunction". In Anger Management we see a lot of people who Stand Up for Doing the Right Thing, and they 'Fight' for Principles, but then it gets them into a lot of trouble: arguing with co-workers, Bosses, social contracts, family members, relationship partners and dates. It's part of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to talk to these people about Observing Consequences of actions with "Is That What You Wanted To Happen?" We get the "I was just standing up for what was Right", but that's what we would call Dysfunctional Thinking, in that it is counter-adaptive, you know, decision making processes that end in bad results. You know, like that Kid with the AR-15 Assault Rifle that went to a Demonstration-Riot in order to protect property that wasn't even his and ended up shooting somebody who tried to take the gun away from him because he didn't look old enough to own a gun. That kid got into a World of Trouble but he'd tell you it was all because of Principle.

Yeah, when we are growing up the adults do their best to instill in us the sense that Life has Rules and we are supposed to be rule followers. Well, that's great for controlling a room full of kids. And in Asia they do really well with their Societies where they live by thousands of rules we never heard of, BUT One Of The Most Important Rules is to let the Guy in Authority be the one to enforce the Rules. Let somebody else Get In Trouble enforcing Rules that often only exist in your own head.

Heck, even the Bosses can get into trouble. Many Corporations are sued for "Hostile Work Place" for maintaining an atmosphere too rich in criticism. I was in the Army once, and when I had been a Division Level Clerk, I'd go out with Inspection Teams during field exercises, and we'd run across a totally dysfunctional Unit once in a while. Bad Morale can be paralyzing. The men just shut down into doing only what they are directly ordered to do, and even then they drag their feet. Yeah, Division will instantly replace the Chain of Command because it's actually dangerous for the men when nobody is actively doing their jobs. I've always wondered that the Officers and the First Sergeant of these Units don't SEE It. They must get into a dysfunctional positive feedback loop and they keep pushing hard when they really need to start backing off. They have a saying: "the Floggings will continue until Morale Improves",,, the men put up signs like that warning the officers that they're ready to shut down, and, really, that will be the end of some careers right there. Really, once before a big IG Inspection we were working about 18 hours a day and we were dragging. I was still just a PFC or maybe a E4 and my Buck Sergeant, a Black Guy named Sergeant Alexander ordered us to get a generated started that just wouldn't start. It was kind of a lost cause. But, I realized it wasn't his fault and we needed to do something with that Generator, and so I made myself get up and pull the rope. After the inspection he gave me a letter of commendation. You see, his career was hanging in the balance. Yeah, he could discipline troops for NOT obeying him, but the thing is that if he's a Leader then Troops should obey him without taking everything to Discipline and Court Marshals. Yeah, we got smart with that generator and pulled the spark plug to make sure we were getting a spark... that was the problem.

Yeah, .... my computer suddenly restarted... that good that Restore Pages works better than before and it save my writing here... but I was thinking about Rules Based Society. Well, in the USA and much of the Western World, well, there is no consensus on what the Rules are, is there? Many of the Freedom Lovers don't want any Rules, or Rules that "There Aren't Any Rules". Then people who do like rules, well, nobody can agree what the rules are. There is a lot of propaganda in the West about how Diversity is a Strength, but Diversity is different Cultures and different Cultures means different rules, different social perceptions, different expectations... people being Judgmental in Incomprehensible ways. We just need to look around and see that Diversity leads to Conflict. The Quick Fix is to get people to lighten up and stop trying to enforce their own Cultural Rules, but the Rules are there for reasons. Civilizations can't be a Chaos, can they?

Yeah, Life is complicated, huh? Oh, thanks for taking a look at my YouTube Channel. The last few months I was really busy with writing projects which would go to Video. But after my last Post, "Kundalini and the Collective Consciousness", well, when I got done that, it just seemed like I was finished for a while. Now I am back to studying Mathematics so I could take on a Retirement Career teaching Math in School if I needed the money. But, yeah, go to the Playlist Menu and all the videos after "Creating a Better God" ("Creating a Better God", "The Material Mechanics of Spirituality", "The Virgin Mary and a Love Story", "Black Sins, Red Sins", and "the White Light Paramahamsa Swan Dream" , and the single video "Kundalini and the Collective Consciousness", well, I'm sort of happy with them, you know, they are important enough to exist, and I don't want to write simply for the sake of writing.... Hmmm, I should make another Playlist of just the Videos that were based on dreams... those are interesting...

Yeah, take care Rgsq (what is that? "Rage Squared") .. let me know what you think.
User avatar
Leo Volont
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am
Likes Received: 144

#8

Postby rgsq » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Excuse me for answering you so late, I preferred to take my time !

It is very interesting what you say about the consequences of strictly following principles. So, if the principles lead more often to irrational acts than to positive acts for the survival of the group, then should we not consider a form of nihilism? Or this nihilism is naturally created by a society which tends to do away with all the values ​​of the old world, but without actually sorting it out ...

Regarding the principles, they can be seen as shortcuts in thinking about a situation to be managed, to avoid questioning everything. But sometimes, the fact of not taking into account certain elements in a particular situation can prove to be decisive in the outcome of it (for example this missionary who had bet on his religious faith to go to convert the island of sentries but who did not take into account the very fearful spirit of the natives. All that to end up riddled with arrows. Too bad for him, perhaps his biggest sin was to trust God more than his raison)

To put all this in parallel with my discipline, if we remain aware of doubting, then we see any decision to be made as a problem to be treated (and not to be got rid of). Thus it prevents to act mechanically (and within the framework of the principles, to refuse to trust what has been instilled in us or what we have set ourselves blindly), and thus somewhere to escape the variable "intellectual laziness" .

Doesn't making systematic the analysis of the problems encountered conscious (as suggested in my discipline) amount to eliminating (partially) the variable "intellectual laziness"? Finally, it may seem a little twisted but put more simply: is it possible to create a reflex that aims to give each other little pushes to make sure everything stays clear in our mind? Or: to decondition oneself to accept not to have control (over oneself I mean).

Life as a soldier is not easy from what I see, it is wrong that his career was threatened for so little. In any case, good reaction from you!

Social diversity poses disciplinary problems, but isn't this an opportunity to find universal rules that would put all civilizations in agreement?

ah Rage Squared! I haven't played it yet but I got it for free thanks to the Epic games video game platform which offers games every week! I think it's a great game when you're looking to let off steam, especially for people who are unlucky enough to be ultra-confined! Otherwise I recommend counter strike which is a good online war game, I don't play too much but I have friends who are addicted!
rgsq
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am
Likes Received: 0

#9

Postby Leo Volont » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:25 am

rgsq wrote:Excuse me for answering you so late, I preferred to take my time !

It is very interesting what you say about the consequences of strictly following principles. So, if the principles lead more often to irrational acts than to positive acts for the survival of the group, then should we not consider a form of nihilism? Or this nihilism is naturally created by a society which tends to do away with all the values ​​of the old world, but without actually sorting it out ...

Regarding the principles, they can be seen as shortcuts in thinking about a situation to be managed, to avoid questioning everything. But sometimes, the fact of not taking into account certain elements in a particular situation can prove to be decisive in the outcome of it (for example this missionary who had bet on his religious faith to go to convert the island of sentries but who did not take into account the very fearful spirit of the natives. All that to end up riddled with arrows. Too bad for him, perhaps his biggest sin was to trust God more than his raison)

To put all this in parallel with my discipline, if we remain aware of doubting, then we see any decision to be made as a problem to be treated (and not to be got rid of). Thus it prevents to act mechanically (and within the framework of the principles, to refuse to trust what has been instilled in us or what we have set ourselves blindly), and thus somewhere to escape the variable "intellectual laziness" .

Doesn't making systematic the analysis of the problems encountered conscious (as suggested in my discipline) amount to eliminating (partially) the variable "intellectual laziness"? Finally, it may seem a little twisted but put more simply: is it possible to create a reflex that aims to give each other little pushes to make sure everything stays clear in our mind? Or: to decondition oneself to accept not to have control (over oneself I mean).

Life as a soldier is not easy from what I see, it is wrong that his career was threatened for so little. In any case, good reaction from you!

Social diversity poses disciplinary problems, but isn't this an opportunity to find universal rules that would put all civilizations in agreement?

ah Rage Squared! I haven't played it yet but I got it for free thanks to the Epic games video game platform which offers games every week! I think it's a great game when you're looking to let off steam, especially for people who are unlucky enough to be ultra-confined! Otherwise I recommend counter strike which is a good online war game, I don't play too much but I have friends who are addicted!


Good Morning Rgsq, I'm so glad to hear from again, but, yeah, I've had to re-read what I said to understand your comment. I was at first daunted by your suggestion that it would be best for Society to become Nihilistic if it is indeed true that Principles cause so much trouble. I wondered, what I must have said there. Well, yeah, I did say something, but, Rgsq, THIS IS AN ANGER MANAGEMENT PAGE.. we are not talking about Society in general here. Angry People have unique concerns. Let's use the analogy of Alcoholics who must avoid all alcohol. Really, it is just them, right? The rest of us can enjoy a drink after work, can't we? It is Angry People who need to back off on their Principles because to them Principles are a major source for Triggers, aren't they? Really, for chronically angry people, the Old Adage of "If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing at all" kicks in. But, yes, Society... I should say Civilization... would be impossible without Ethical and Moral Principles... though as a Philosopher (another hat that I wear) I really can't say definitively what Moral Principles are, since they are more matters of Aesthetics than Eternal Truths.

Yes, there has often been the debate among those who think Principles are a good thing, as to how much particulars of each unique case should be taken into consideration. I think the most famous instance is with the Jesuits... also Missionaries, but far more successful than your example of the one full of arrows. The Jesuits made themselves famous by leaning in the direction of their Converts, and making excuses for their unique cultural behaviors that seemed out of keeping with European Christian Values. The Jesuits were keen on finding the most absolute critical factors that were important to Catholicism while ignoring as many of the smoky, noisy details as possible. For instance, there was Modesty of Dress. Well, there are reasons why Tropical People's go about naked, and so the Jesuits felt that as long as the people BEHAVED modesty, despite their sparse attire, than that was Modest Enough. But, still, Europeans back in Europe, not having to deal with the situation 'on the ground' were deciding for themselves that the Jesuits were loose with their Principles. That kind of quarrel will always continue. Every "Judgment Call" is going to be questioned. That is why the people in Authority get paid so much... because they have to put up with these inevitable quarrels .

Now, about Universal Rules that could make it possible to have One World Civilization, well, yes, I would love such a thing. But presently the Popular Rage is to worship Diversity. Yes, they mean well because they must feel that if we are predisposed to think Diversity a good thing then that will make us tolerant of others. That is true, but it is also very short sighted. You see, there will always be a tendency to Trust Your Own more than you would Trust Others. Even if Bias was not bigoted or hateful, it would still be implicit. Diversity essentially means that we Don't Know What to Expect of these Different People, right? And even if we KNEW what to expect, well, our being DIFFERENT ourselves would prevent our being whole heartedly enthusiastic. So we tend to keep to our own. That is inherently and intrinsically divisive, which would be a continuous condition for us all in a World where Diversity was the thing being encouraged. Our Principles would be our greatest source of actual discomfort and annoyance with each other. So, yes, my position is that the Universities from around the World get together and form committees and determine the Characteristics of the Optimum Culture and Optimum Language and then just IMPOSE these things on us, especially our School Children. We who are already Adults would be like Immigrants in our own country, learning a new Language and new ways, but our Children would grow up into a World Paradise.
User avatar
Leo Volont
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am
Likes Received: 144

#10

Postby Krist_snowflakeheesk » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:28 am

Please tell me, can anyone come across such an error
on Smart.
When you open web Browsers, it writes like this (photo in the attached file)
... What can you do ... Thank you
Krist_snowflakeheesk
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm
Likes Received: 0

#11

Postby Leo Volont » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:11 am

Krist_snowflakeheesk wrote:Please tell me, can anyone come across such an error
on Smart.
When you open web Browsers, it writes like this (photo in the attached file)
... What can you do ... Thank you


Krist, this is an Anger Management Forum. When our Computer Apps don't work right we're happy to just get Angry about it.
User avatar
Leo Volont
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 am
Likes Received: 144



  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Anger Management