Benefits of being off weed

Postby wakinglife » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Happy to be celebrating 4/20 without cannabis!

In the early years after quitting, this date felt like a true test of my commitment to living without weed. As the time goes by, I now feel a sense of pride to be off the pot as this day rolls around again. I'm even contemplating writing a Facebook post "outing" myself as a former pothead-- although, as a high school teacher, I slightly fear judgment by my colleagues.

Whether I decide to make that post or not, I have decided one thing: I am choosing not to consume any cannabis today!

Cheers to you if you are choosing to let go of your self-limiting addiction to weed.

WL
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 296

Postby wakinglife » Wed May 20, 2020 11:15 pm

It's good for me to keep checking in here regularly, as a reminder of how far I've come. I appreciate the people who share their honest experiences here, whether they're brand new, updating us, or have come back after a slip.

Since so much time has passed since I last smoked, there is actually a chance that I'll forget why I quit in the first place. For example, my old inner pothead was rationalizing as I spoke to my friend who grows the other day. I couldn't believe the words coming out of my mouth when I said, "Although I don't smoke any more, it might be good for me to grow a plant or two that I could donate to someone who needs it for medical reasons."

It's a generous and altruistic thought, but not a great plan for someone who spent the better part of a decade trying to cut back or quit. It's through reading people's posts on here that I get the reality check reminder that weed is not something I can take lightly. If I grew it I'd end up smoking some. No two ways about it.

My life is better without it. I think all this time in self-islolation (due to the pandemic) is just getting to me.

Thanks for being here, fellow UncommonForum posters. Together we help each other achieve great things!

WL
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby wakinglife » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Benefit: Clarity of mind to show up for friends in need

As the days approach my Quit-iversary I am still grateful that I no longer ingest cannabis. Last week my friend invited me to take a trip to his new place (a day's drive from where I live). He lost his wife to suicide and is starting a new life back in the area where we both grew up. He wanted me to see how his kids are coping and see the new home they just moved into. In my smoking days, I would likely have made an excuse (the current COVID pandemic would have been reason enough not to go there). But, in spite of the time and effort (and mild to moderate anxiety of leaving my safe bubble) I made the trip. We spent part of the 3 day visit talking about the elephant in the room (his wife's death), and I felt that my clear-headed and attentive presence made a positive impact on him. He truly appreciated that an old friend would show up for him when he reached out.

Just one more benefit of being off weed!

WL
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby wakinglife » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:19 pm

2 days until my Quit-iversary!

July 22, 2006 is a day that makes me proud-- finally taking the step to stop smoking weed. Of course, at that time it was just another attempt. I had no idea I'd make it this far.

I keep posting here because this is the online community that actually allowed me to drop this insidious habit. I am happy if my posts help others, but I admit that they also help me. This might seem crazy, but I'll share it. I have been questioning my use of alcohol lately (thinking about quitting off-and-on for a few years). The hangovers at my age (47) are just brutal if I have too much. I must be a sensitive person, because I can even feel a difference when I've had only one or two pints the night before. So, the point here is not to blather on about my diminishing enjoyment of booze; the real point is sharing an insight about my "weed addict" brain. Yesterday I had the clear thought, "Maybe once July 22 rolls around you can choose that date to quit drinking and replace it with using cannabis responsibly."

What the actual F? I'm 14 years weed free, living a life that is truly more joyous and fulfilling than anything I could have imagined, and a voice in my head suggests I can go back to using weed in moderation?

Nah-uh! Not gonna do it.

Clearly there are things going on under the surface that need my attention. There is no freakin' way I am running back into the arms of mama ganga after I have already individuated myself. I am a strong, courageous human being, and I am going to do what it takes to keep on living this beautiful life without weed.

Thanks for being here. YOU are the reason I am no longer addicted to cannabis.

WL
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby Candid » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:50 am

Good to see you here, wakinglife. You're an inspiration!
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 419

Previous