Benefits of being off weed

#2640

Postby wakinglife » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:22 am

Philoctetes wrote:Why people do smoke?


Hi Philoctetes,

People smoke for a variety of reasons. This thread is to help people focus on the benefits of NOT smoking. It would be counterproductive to the goal of this thread to explore the reasons people choose to smoke.

In my experience, what we place our attention on is what we bring into our lives. It has been helpful in my process of quitting weed to maintain an emphasis on all the things I've gained by overcoming my addiction.

If you are sincerely curious about the reasons people choose to smoke weed, you might start a new thread on the forum asking your question.

WL
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319


#2641

Postby tokeless » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 am

The reasons for using any substance are incredibly varied. The model or stages I have used in the past in terms of types of drug use goes like this.
Experimental stage: As with all experiments, the outcome is unknown because we don't know the effects, how much to use etc... we all start at this stage.
If this ends well and we enjoy the experience we may move in to recreational use. We now know the rules, the effects, dose etc... most stay at this stage.
Then, some move in to problematic use if it takes over our lives and we get the negative effects of using it. We may not see it as a problem either... this is the stage were addiction sits.
However, the reason to start is usually peer associated or opportunistic and that's more individualised.
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 378

#2642

Postby wakinglife » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:37 pm

15 Years Weed Free!

Last Thursday I hit the 15 year Canna-versary of living Weed Free. Back on July 22nd of 2006 I was quitting for a weekend workshop. That weekend I had a vision (while on a drum-trance journey) that I was a rabbit, nervously munching grass, twitchy and on edge. In the vision a cougar came and devoured the rabbit (me) and its friends. The next stage of the vision journey I became the cougar. I took the symbolism to heart: the pothead me was a rabbit, anxiously consuming my plant. The cougar represented my true inner ferocity. After that weekend, I decided to stop living like a rabbit, and embrace my inner cougar.

It was freakin' hard to do! The first month was extremely difficult. Finding this forum was a huge help in my journey. It felt so validating to know that I was not alone -- other people are out there who became addicted to weed and want to make a change in their lives.

Thank you, Uncommon Forum members, moderators, and founders!

Staying cannabis free is something I take seriously. It still boggles my mind that there is a small voice that tells me now and then that I could probably use weed in moderation now. That "inner addict" voice is false. It's leading me to take old paths that have now (thankfully) grown over. If I walk down those old paths they would quickly become reestablished. I am taking new paths now, forging new ways into the wilderness of life.

15 years off the weed, and my life is truly the best it has ever been: strong marriage, solid relationship with my kids, loving friends, growing meaningful community, rewarding career, solid self care, mental and emotional health are balanced. Setting cannabis aside was probably the single most difficult thing I have ever done. It's been difficult, but also rewarding. My invitation to you is to look deep within (perhaps undertake your own vision quest). Find that inner vision that guides you to the life you deserve to live.

WL
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319

#2643

Postby soldieroflife » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Ten months weed free. Thought I'd come back and visit this forum where I feel like the journey began for me. So many good things have transpired in the last ten months, it's really hard to imagine that all it's been. Amazing how much more life you get to live when you're not blazed out. I never imagined how hard it would be either, especially in that first month. I'm still growing for sure, but feels like I'm moving forward and not treading water. Better relationships, better self esteem, better physical fitness, more drive, better productivity, more money, not tired all the time, greatly reduced anxiety.....so many more that have already been mentioned but these are the biggest hitters for me. I feel so much better. I still get the occasional thought that I could smoke, but I know very well that I can't. As soon as I did, I'd be right back in the depths of addiction really quick. Thanks for reading.
soldieroflife
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 pm
Likes Received: 14

#2644

Postby tokeless » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:57 pm

soldieroflife wrote:Ten months weed free. Thought I'd come back and visit this forum where I feel like the journey began for me. So many good things have transpired in the last ten months, it's really hard to imagine that all it's been. Amazing how much more life you get to live when you're not blazed out. I never imagined how hard it would be either, especially in that first month. I'm still growing for sure, but feels like I'm moving forward and not treading water. Better relationships, better self esteem, better physical fitness, more drive, better productivity, more money, not tired all the time, greatly reduced anxiety.....so many more that have already been mentioned but these are the biggest hitters for me. I feel so much better. I still get the occasional thought that I could smoke, but I know very well that I can't. As soon as I did, I'd be right back in the depths of addiction really quick. Thanks for reading.


Well done. You've got the right attitude. Live as a non smoker.
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 378

#2645

Postby wakinglife » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:00 am

Each day weed free is a day of clarity.

Any of you who have been appreciating this list, I invite you to add a few of the benefits that you've experienced since you decided to take a break from cannabis.

Together we are stronger!
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319

#2646

Postby freedomfighter » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:07 pm

After over a year of abstinence, I had a relapse just thinking I could control my usage. Started on a bike ride, “just this one time”, this led to every couple of weeks, to a couple of times a week, ending up with daily smoking sessions. This has proven to me that I cannot control my usage smoking “just once in a while”.

Back to square one, I’m now on a re-start on my journey to a weed free life, now on day 35. I now realize the creeping nature of cannabis, I know it’s all or nothing. Once again I am proving to myself the benefits of sobriety far outweigh using, I guess knowing what I know now is another perk. Knowledge is power in this fight for a sober life. Good to be back on this thread, as I believe concentrating on the awesome benefits of being clean makes my fight much easier, hopefully, with the help of forums like this, I will not lose sight of this fact.
freedomfighter
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm
Likes Received: 15

#2647

Postby Blinkers » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:32 am

Are you totally back to where you started with such minimal relapse usage?
Blinkers
Junior Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:23 am
Likes Received: 8

#2648

Postby wakinglife » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:59 pm

freedomfighter wrote:After over a year of abstinence, I had a relapse just thinking I could control my usage. Started on a bike ride, “just this one time”, this led to every couple of weeks, to a couple of times a week, ending up with daily smoking sessions. This has proven to me that I cannot control my usage smoking “just once in a while”.

Back to square one, I’m now on a re-start on my journey to a weed free life, now on day 35. I now realize the creeping nature of cannabis, I know it’s all or nothing. Once again I am proving to myself the benefits of sobriety far outweigh using, I guess knowing what I know now is another perk. Knowledge is power in this fight for a sober life. Good to be back on this thread, as I believe concentrating on the awesome benefits of being clean makes my fight much easier, hopefully, with the help of forums like this, I will not lose sight of this fact.


Thanks for sharing your experience with slipping back into daily use, freedomfighter!

It puts my mind at ease to see that you have found your way back to 35 days, rebuilding some clarity. I am grateful when folks like you post about what it's like to dabble with weed again. Your reminder keeps me on track.

Keep on looking for those benefits and share them here to inspire others.

I'm rooting for you!

WL
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319

#2649

Postby tokeless » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 pm

wakinglife wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:After over a year of abstinence, I had a relapse just thinking I could control my usage. Started on a bike ride, “just this one time”, this led to every couple of weeks, to a couple of times a week, ending up with daily smoking sessions. This has proven to me that I cannot control my usage smoking “just once in a while”.

Back to square one, I’m now on a re-start on my journey to a weed free life, now on day 35. I now realize the creeping nature of cannabis, I know it’s all or nothing. Once again I am proving to myself the benefits of sobriety far outweigh using, I guess knowing what I know now is another perk. Knowledge is power in this fight for a sober life. Good to be back on this thread, as I believe concentrating on the awesome benefits of being clean makes my fight much easier, hopefully, with the help of forums like this, I will not lose sight of this fact.


Thanks for sharing your experience with slipping back into daily use, freedomfighter!

It puts my mind at ease to see that you have found your way back to 35 days, rebuilding some clarity. I am grateful when folks like you post about what it's like to dabble with weed again. Your reminder keeps me on track.

Keep on looking for those benefits and share them here to inspire others.

I'm rooting for you!

WL


Understanding the type of smoker you are is important in managing your quit. The primitive brain targets your psychological state.... just once, I've done well, are just some of the things it suggests to you. Your rationale brain makes the decision to actually smoke. I was wake and bake, so I knew once in a while wasn't an option for me.
Best wishes
tokeless
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm
Likes Received: 378

#2650

Postby wakinglife » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:02 am

Benefit: Learning "how" to quit weed has helped me stop drinking.

Cannabis was my substance of choice, and I have learned a lot from breaking my addiction to it. Now, years after quitting, I'm applying the skills I acquired by quitting weed to quitting drinking. I'll stay on topic for this thread (quitting weed), but it is one more sly perk of being off the bud that I now have the inner strength to let go of another limiting substance: booze.

To each their own. Personally, I'm feeling better now that I am no longer toking and drinking!
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319

#2651

Postby CKSeedsCA » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 am

Increased energy and motivation · An improved ability to focus · Better memory · Improved breathing
CKSeedsCA
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 am
Likes Received: 3

#2652

Postby biohack9 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:40 pm

So far the side effects (PAWS) after nearly 3.5 months OFF weed are much, much WORSE for me than the side effects of being ON it.

I really hope this balance changes in the upcoming months. Low dopamine is no joke.
biohack9
Full Member
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 pm
Likes Received: 23

#2653

Postby wakinglife » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Hey biohack9,

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Everyone I know who has quit weed does eventually see improvements. The timeline varies based on daily intake and your own personal biology.

Here's an invitation: name ONE benefit you've noticed. It could even be something simple like saving money. At first, it might be tough to see the positive gains you're making. And you're right: for you, right now, maybe the negatives are currently in the lead. It's more about shifting your state of mind. Digging deep to see the small, subtle changes that are occurring. There's a psychological phenomenon known as the "Tetris effect" where we actually start to see more of the things we look for. Rather than a vicious cycle, it becomes a "virtuous cycle".

I know that in the first months (I was struggling for 6 months... a year) it is really hard to see any positives. Or if you do see them, the old addicted part of your brain might rationalize: "Yeah. But that small benefit is outweighed by all these negatives. I'm better off just smoking again to deal with these symptoms of PAWS."

I hate to say it, but that voice is BS. It's like an abusive ex who is luring you back to a dysfunctional relationship.

Don't get caught in the spiral of tallying up all of the negatives of quitting. Obviously, there are downsides to letting go of a pattern of use that has brought you joy, comfort, and has filled certain gaps in your being.

Frankly, quitting is hard work.

The purpose of this thread is to intentionally switch you from "woe is me" mode into, "Hey! There actually ARE some positives that come from quitting this substance I think I love."

It might seem corny, or unrealistic, or downright inauthentic, but I invite you to search for the positives.

If you read this, I implore you to reply with ONE positive thing that has come from quitting weed. I am cheering you on.

WL
User avatar
wakinglife
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Likes Received: 319

#2654

Postby biohack9 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Hey WL I do appreciate your reply. I’m really not sure about too many positives but saving money is definitely one. More mental clarity and a different quality of sleep, no sweats, etc. However overall my health is way worse, both physical and especially mental and the balance is skewed greatly in favour of the negative.

But it is still early in my journey and I’m really hoping for some more positives to start shining through the dark clouds.

Or maybe I’m just off my meds and feeling unmedicated. Addiction happens for a reason. Usually childhood trauma of some sort. One can only handle so much stress and trauma on life until breaking. But time will tell.

Thanks again.
biohack9
Full Member
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 pm
Likes Received: 23


PreviousNext

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Addictions

cron