How to actually get hired as a Stage Hypnotist/Mind Magic?

Postby TheDarkJay » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Okay, two things here.

First of all, I was reading about Stage Hypnosis when I read you need to get grants from the council, but to get around this you can pretend to be a 'Mind Magician' who gets people to 'Hypnotise themselves'. Does this actually by-pass the Hypnosis Act in the UK?

Secondly, say I have been to a training course and all that, but have no idea how to actually get a job as a Stage Hypnotist/Mind Magician. What I mean is how do you advertise yourself as an up-start Stage Hypnotist/Mind Magician, how do you actually get a show? (Also to do this would you need a certificate, or would it just be a nice thing to show to make sure you get hired).

I know most of you will say "Go to a course on Stage Hypnosis, they will teach you this." but I'm wondering early out of curiosity.

And to hell, I'll tag this on as an Advertising hook/gimmick, would it be possible to be the "Amazing Teenage Mind Magician", by Teenage I mean being 17/18/19, or would this be a terrible idea and the person in question should just get a part-time job at a shop until he's in his twenties.

Just trying to satisfy some curiosity here.
TheDarkJay
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 2

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:35 pm

This is my understanding of the current situation.

You need a license to do stage hypnosis in public places in the UK.
You get that license from local councils but must be insured as a stage hypnotist.
It is very difficult to get stage hypnosis insurance in the UK. (Until recently it was impossible but is now possible if you are a member of a certain governing body and have performed 50 gigs plus fit other criteria).

However you can do stage hypnosis in a private venue/event.
You can not use the word hypnosis and do a 'mind magic' show.
It is very difficult to prove hypnosis should it go to court. Just wheel in a social compliance theorist who will show you it is all pretend :)

A certificate will not get you a gig. Being a hypnotist and being prepared to demonstrate your skills will.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Likes Received: 6

Postby TheDarkJay » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 am

Jonathan Royle talks about showing it to be a 'Self-Hypnosis' show where you teach them to Hypnotise themselves (which is a legal statement) where you just tell them to "allow themselves to relax, allow themselves to go deeper" etc. And having a few statements like "As you are Hypnotising yourself, you are completely responsible for your own well-being and safety."

Would this work?

And I understand getting the license...kind of. I'm wondering about Advertising now. How does an upstart hypnotist 'sell himself'?

Sorry, I have a natural curiosity I really want to fill XD
TheDarkJay
Preferred Member

Postby kevsheldrake » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:53 pm

See http://www.popan.org.uk/policy/document ... ct1952.pdf

A brief read implies that either the hypnotist or the venue could hold the insurance and that the insurance would relate to 'public entertainment' rather than hypnotism specifically. From what I understand, the Act only applies to public performances, not private performances.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1

Postby TheDarkJay » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Bumpification!

Anyway, many questions have been answered. Now for the final one:
Would it be possible for a 16 year old to be hired to do a private event such as a party? Or do laws (either Hypnosis or general) prevent this?

Though the advertising question to be answered would be nice ;)
TheDarkJay
Preferred Member

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:06 pm

'Private event'. That is your answer. The loophole to hypnosis law which seems to only be aimed at 'Public' places and events.

There is no reason why a sixteen year old cannot do a stage show.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Likes Received: 6

Postby kevsheldrake » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:55 am

TheDarkJay wrote:Though the advertising question to be answered would be nice ;)

I may have mentioned this book before here, but I'll do it again as it must have been ages ago if I can't quite remember. :)

Free Agent Manual: The Rules and Tools for Your Solo Success by Josephine Monroe is a tenner at amazon.co.uk and is a good 'mind set' / approach book for getting a business from the idea to implementation. (I've just had an idea for a company called I2I (eye to eye) - Idea to Implementation; only thing is, people with new business ideas tend to have very little money and I doubt they'd spend what they have on consultancy! Hmm, need to tie up with a venture capitalist...)

I tend to think that the key to starting a business is 1/3 idea, 1/3 business approach and 1/3 enthusiasm/energy. I've seen people with little business knowledge get a successful business up and running on enthusiasm alone; I've also seen very smart business-people fail through lack of a good idea and also fail through lack of commitment. Feel free to contact me via PM and I'll pass on my email address if you would like some pointers.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1