Hypnosis and the Law in your country.

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi,

I thought it would be useful to pool our international knowledge on the laws specific to practicing hypnosis and hypnotherapy around the world.

Please post any information you have about the practice of hypnosis and hypnotherapy and the law (national or local) in your country or any others you know about. If you can point us to some relevant links even better.

Please put the country name in the subject line of the post.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

Anthony
Last edited by Anthony Jacquin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anthony Jacquin

Likes Received: 6

Postby Dark_Matter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:04 pm

The link below details the laws here in the States. From the site:
The majority of the United States exert little or no direct regulation over the practice of Hypnosis or Hypnotherapy, although other laws generally affecting the operation of any business will usually apply (e.g. truth in advertising, unfair business practices, etc.).

http://www.hypnotherapistsunion.org/laws/usa/
Dark_Matter

Likes Received: 0

Postby Feist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey there,

Interesting question!

For the Netherlands:

No laws regulating hypnosis or hypnotherapy. The title hypnotherapist is a free one; everyone can call himself hypnotherapist.

There's no laws regulating stage-hypnosis shows.

For therapy: you can do anything you want, only I think it's illegal to diagnose people with something. next to that, only if you're accredited by the NVVH or one of the other organisations, people can claim their money back from therapy at their insurance company. So for example I did bandler's course and got certified, but it's not valid so when I do therapy, people can't charge their money back from the insurance company.

How do you get acknowledged by these organisations? You need a 4 year education in hypnosis and have your "medical basic knowledge" degree. The educations are a bit weird though, and they do everything including past life regression, but their methods are kind of old, most of what you do relies on progressive relaxation.

Regards,

Jacob
Feist

Postby jargan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Germany: it's all right to use hypnosis for anything that isn't an officially recognized mental disorder (ICD-10 etc.). For that you need a medical degree plus training in psychotherapy, or a degree in psychology plus training in psychotherapy, or a special healing practitioner permit ("Heilpraktiker"; and there's a special permit restricted to psychotherapy that's a wee bit easier to pass the examination for... perhaps). The latter is only given to people who pass an examination of sorts at the local health department.
jargan
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 34

Postby Swoop » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Great idea for a thread Anthony!

There has been a flurry of activity with respect to Australian hypnosis legislation in the last two decades or so.

In short, it is legal for ANYONE to practice hypnosis or hypnotherapy in Australia. Stage hypnosis is also completely legal for ANYONE to practice.

"The practice of hypnosis is no longer overseen by any particular State or Federal Government body, and complaints against hypnotherapists are attended to by individual State Health Departments and Health Rights Commission offices.

The practice of hypnosis as hypnotherapy in Australia is now self regulated by various State and National hypnosis associations. However the associations have no legal rights outside of themselves or their particular constitution, and can only discipline their members within the boundaries of their constitutions. There is no hypnosis association in Australia that has any favour, or recognition with, or that is consulted by Government regarding the practice and uses of hypnosis as a therapy.

Until 2008 and 2005 respectively; the laws in relation to the practice of hypnosis in South Australia and Western Australia were governed by those States relevant psychologist's acts. For the most part, those now obsolete acts deemed that only the following practitioners could legally practise hypnosis:

- Psychologists
- Medical Doctors
- Dentists
- Other Persons As Approved By The States Psychologists Board

However, probably because of the ambiguity of the laws and the impossibility to prove exactly what a hypnotic trance is, or is not, there was never a successful recorded prosecution regarding "Non Approved" people practising hypnosis."

There are many vocal members of the hypnotherapy field who would like to make stage hypnosis illegal. An interesting case for hypnosis law in all countries, is that of the death of Sharron Tabarn.

EDIT: I had included links in this post, but whenever I tried to include them, I got the following error:

An Error Occurred

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3
Swoop

Likes Received: 1

Postby MykeyFinn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:41 am

Actually in the USA laws regarding Hypnosis are left up to individual States. Here in KS you must be a licensed Therapist to use Hypnosis, and you must have a permit granted by the city in which you perform to practice stage hypnosis.
MykeyFinn

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks for that MykeyFinn

I found this link with details for each state in the USA.

http://www.hypnotherapistsunion.org/laws/usa/

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Postby Mousetower » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Does anyone have any idea about Hungary? The law is a bit of a hazy subject round these parts, and I just can't seem to find out about it.
Mousetower
Preferred Member

Postby PADDY O'GELLAR » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Does anyone know the precise laws relating to Hypnotism in Northern Ireland? Even though it is in the United Kingdom some of its laws etc are specifically designed for that particular region.
Being a beginner I would also appreciate a link to the most recent laws relating to Hypnotism in the UK?
Thanks,
Paddy O'Gellar
PADDY O'GELLAR

Postby kevsheldrake » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:15 am

I could find nothing Northern Ireland specific in the statute law database.

Here's the links:

Hypnotism Act 1952

FOI info about UK laws on hypnotism

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby coverthypnosis » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:00 am

Hey all.
A very good idea for a thread.
My understanding is that in New Zealand, currently my home country, there are also no laws or government regulation limiting the use of any form of hypnosis.
coverthypnosis

Postby Mousetower » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm

OK, I understand that there is no license required to perform stage hypnosis in the UK other than an entertainments license for the venue (I think).

The guy in the following clip (a UK stage hypnotist retired through drink related problems) keeps referring to becoming licensed. Has anyone got any idea what he is on about?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=32923233

This is actually the last of three vids of the same interview. They all make for quite interesting watching.
Mousetower
Preferred Member

Postby ulv » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Norway

It is some confusion about this law in norway, our legal site (lovdata.no) witch contains all our laws, it is stated;
"With fines or 3 months prison can the person carrying out hypnosis be charged"
It goes on explaining that psychologists or licensed therapists can carry out hypnosis.

NOT LEGAL TO CARRY OUT BY NON-LICENSED PEOPLE

Sources. http://www.lovdata.no/cgi-wift/wiftldles?doc=/usr/www/lovdata/all/tl-19020522-010-041.html&emne=((%20LOV-1902-05-22-10%20I%20(TITT,DATO))%20(%20364%20I%20PARA%20))&&
ulv
Preferred Member

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Ouch. Jeg beklager å høre dette. Hvor skal du flytte til?

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby error265 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Mousetower wrote:OK, I understand that there is no license required to perform stage hypnosis in the UK other than an entertainments license for the venue (I think).

The guy in the following clip (a UK stage hypnotist retired through drink related problems) keeps referring to becoming licensed. Has anyone got any idea what he is on about?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=32923233

This is actually the last of three vids of the same interview. They all make for quite interesting watching.

I'm taking notes about the lifestyle tips these two have to offer. they really are ontop of the world, i've never seen such self-actualized individuals.

Fame, fortune, attraction, influence ! they've got it all... oh wait.
error265
Preferred Member

Next